• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

calf prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

No calves moving here yearlings are cheaper by the day. Until boxes firm up the fed cattle will slip more and feeders will follow. Consumers seem to prefer other options at these prices. The feeding of Beta-agonists Optiflex and Zilmax is hurting our consumer demand in my opinion.

Friend of mine bough 50 head of 500# heifers for 2.14 yesterday. Would seem like a buying opportunity in here somewhere.

Seems like a combination of a strong dollar (Weaker dollar last year led to more exports), Larger carcass sizes (the quick looks I take show kills not much different than a year ago, but heavier carcasses mean more beef. I haven't looked at actual imports vs exports from a year ago versus today. I also see Packers cutting back kill hours up here.

I remember a long time ago an editorial in the WLJ. "Cheap feed leads to Cheap Cattle". I think that's another influence....

But, still, i see guys getting $1,100-1,200 for calves. Though not what it was, we've certainly seen much worse

Latest posts