• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Albertagirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question, we have this heifer calf, 10 days old, she has been in the barn since she was born, he mom didn't have milk so we put her onto a first calf heifer that lost her calf, things seemed to be going really good until this weekend we let new mommy and baby outside for the first time, and after about 2 hours in the sunshine it was only about 6 degrees celcious outside, she started to pant and woudn't put her tounge back in. What do you think this could be from? Once i put the heifer back in to the bar, she slowly began to breath normally again. Just was wondering what this could be from....

I would say the calf probably has pneumonia, maybe from being in the barn too long. Always best to turn them out as soon as you can and they will be healthier. I would treat it right away but it might already be too late, that would be my guess anyway.

Yeah it was way too cold for the calf to go outside by herself so we had no choice, we have been giving her penicilian but also because she is partially blind i didn't want her going out by herself. I'm not sure how else to treat her now though

give her a shot of nuflor in the neck under theskin and wait 48 hours and give her a nother that should kcock it out tylosin or batryl works good to but ive always had real good luck with nuflor it had saved me a lot of calves

just make sure you read the directions really good ive givenit to some pretty young calves before but not just 10 days and the bottles in the barnso i can check it

Did the calf get real excited and start running around with the others? Could be it just got real winded from playing if it went back to breathing normally.

You can give the nuflor at that age. We have done it a couple of times with no problems. 6cc/100lbs under the skin every other day or 3cc/100 lbs IM everyday for 3 to 5 days.

Albertagirl said:
Hi everyone, just a quick question, we have this heifer calf, 10 days old, she has been in the barn since she was born, he mom didn't have milk so we put her onto a first calf heifer that lost her calf, things seemed to be going really good until this weekend we let new mommy and baby outside for the first time, and after about 2 hours in the sunshine it was only about 6 degrees celcious outside, she started to pant and woudn't put her tounge back in. What do you think this could be from? Once i put the heifer back in to the bar, she slowly began to breath normally again. Just was wondering what this could be from....
They are tougher than they look,LA maybe is right,then let go to grow up

If she is partially blind, as you say, that may be indicative of bigger problems. Try the Nuflor.

No she didn't start running aroudn with the other claves, thats what gave me the first indication that she was blind. but i will definently go pick some nuflor today. Never heard of that before, but thanks so much everyone! Ill let you know how it goes

Albertagirl said:
No she didn't start running aroudn with the other claves, thats what gave me the first indication that she was blind. but i will definently go pick some nuflor today. Never heard of that before, but thanks so much everyone! Ill let you know how it goes
Try the liqua-mycian LA like greg said,UFA carries it.I'm not sure at all about the nuflor either

Are you SURE she's blind and not just feeling too crappy to play?

If she's weak from being sick she'll stumble around like she IS blind and really won't be.

We've had'em act like that before then when they got to feeling better...things were great.

Yesterday i was at the vets and we sold like 15 bottles of that Nuflor! The guy that bought it said he wouldnt ever not use it! He says since he started using it his calves have been alot healthyer! So Lots of guys around here use it, and most of them sware by it. That all i realy know about it. Is she for sure partily blind or just have cloudyness in her eye? If its Cloudyness, Dad gave a ewe Thiamine(sp) and the cloudyness went away, but dont know if its safe for cows or not.!

Katy

sic 'em reds said:
Did the calf get real excited and start running around with the others? Could be it just got real winded from playing if it went back to breathing normally.

You can give the nuflor at that age. We have done it a couple of times with no problems. 6cc/100lbs under the skin every other day or 3cc/100 lbs IM everyday for 3 to 5 days.

I wish you guys would read labels before suggesting treatment.

3cc's IM per 100 lbs and repeat 48 hours later
or
6cc's SUB(under the skin) per 100lbs one time dose.

Also before you treat anything take their temperature so you know what's going on.

If you are going to treat I would do 3cc's intramuscular in the neck and dose again 48 hours later;since you have easy access to your calf.Also give it 2cc's of Predef intramusc.(this does not have to be given in the neck) this will help the calf keep it's appetite as being sick and that Nuflor has some loss of appetite side effects.;and it is also a steroid so it does work well with Nuflor.Don't due Predef for more than two days in a row.If you don't see any improvement call your Vet.

Thanks guys for all your help, I have never hear of Nuflor before, I will give her a shot tonight and see how thigns go!

Latest posts