• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CALF-UCCINO

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
I used to buy powdered milk or colostrum replacer to give to dopey or cold calves. It is expensive and may contain bovine blood products.No thanks!! :roll:

So today I tried this on a cold, dopey calf.... 1 can of evaporated milk,6 tbsps of brown sugar, 2 heaping tbsp of instant coffee, add some hot water to make about a quart.
It cost about a dollar and seemed to work just fine. The canned milk also has added vitamin C. Bonus!!!!

I call it "CALF-UCCINO"!!! :lol: :wink:

TimH said:
I used to buy powdered milk or colostrum replacer to give to dopey or cold calves. It is expensive and may contain bovine blood products.No thanks!! :roll:

So today I tried this on a cold, dopey calf.... 1 can of evaporated milk,6 tbsps of brown sugar, 2 heaping tbsp of instant coffee, add some hot water to make about a quart.
It cost about a dollar and seemed to work just fine. The canned milk also has added vitamin C. Bonus!!!!

I call it "CALF-UCCINO"!!! :lol: :wink:

Great idea Tim! I might try some of this myself in the morning. Just one thing, could I replace the instant coffee with brewed coffee? And add some "Amaretto"? :D :D

There are all kinds of shortcuts for savings we could use, but don't.

Tell us, did your Calf-Uccino work?

Mike- "Tell us, did your Calf-Uccino work?"

Yes Mike, I think it did work at least as well as anything else I have tried.
It was around 2 pm I tubed the calf and by 4:30 it was up on it's feet looking for mama.
The calf being cold and all is probably my fault. I believe it was born sometime during the night and I didn't find it until 2 o'clock this afternoon.It was laying in some deep straw and the mother had cleaned right away and did not look like she had calved. It is off one of my son's heifers and she is kinda dumb and never licked it off much.
All that sugar and caffeine seemed to give it the jump start it needed!!!!
We'll see if the little fart is still around tomorrow!!!! :wink:

In the old days before replacer most of the guys all had some concoctions like this that they mixed up-- some added a raw egg, some used molasses or sugar... But one thing I think they all contained was whiskey--not sure it helped but gave the old cowboys a reason or excuse to always have a bottle around..... :)

OT- the mixture you stated is one still used by some and they get along good with it-use evaporated milk, raw egg, whiskey, and sugar or brown syrup. If it works - why switch. As for around here seem to get along good with the good grade powdered colostrum and High Energy electrolyt.Hopefully that won't be need as it is starting to act like spring. Have a great day.

Ohhhhh, you all are so "punny" today :wink:

tim....am definately gonna have to try your recipe when i get home...on MYSELF and not the calf, though...sounds pretty good :D

You can almost hear that calf-accino calf when it's older bellyaching to the others,
"When I was younger I remember a milk that tasted sooo goood! Nothing tastes good anymore like that. Things were better in the olden days."

gotta tell ya....this calf-accino is gonna get me awake on the long drive home this morning!!! Great idea, Tim!! :nod: :nod: :D

We had an old neighbor that was telling of his remedy for scours in calves. He said he would just give them some whiskey. My dad asked him, "how much?" Lloyd's reply, with a twinkle in his eye: "Oh, whatever I can spare." :)

Latest posts