• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calling all Lie Detectors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
"American Meat Institute President J. Patrick Boyle said the industry will be able to resume cattle shipments quickly. "A lot of the preliminary work is already done. I think you'll see the industry move quickly," he said."

"Boyle said the ruling is also "a win for American consumers who were paying $1.85 a pound for ground beef before the border closed and are paying about $2.55 today."

The title of "liar" gets applied fairly liberally around here. Using the established protocol, would Mr. Boyle be lying by "hinting" that the loss of Canadian cattle was the reason for high beef prices?

Sandhusker said:
American consumers who were paying $1.85 a pound for ground beef before the border closed and are paying about $2.55 today."

The title of "liar" gets applied fairly liberally around here. Using the established protocol, would Mr. Boyle be lying by "hinting" that the loss of Canadian cattle was the reason for high beef prices?

There is absolutely nothing false about that statement and the fact that he is hinting that prices may go down is not up to him, it will be determined by the market. I'd bet he is mistaken, though, because all cattle will be UTM and most of the hamburger comes from cattle OTM. Good Luck.

Sandhusker, yes, he is a liar because both Agman and SH have told us the increase in cattle prices was due to increase demand...and we KNOW neither of them is ever wrong...they've told us that too. :wink:

SASH, hate to pop your bubble, but close to 45% of a carcass is ground beef. :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock:

RobertMac said:
Sandhusker, yes, he is a liar because both Agman and SH have told us the increase in cattle prices was due to increase demand...and we KNOW neither of them is ever wrong...they've told us that too. :wink:

SASH, hate to pop your bubble, but close to 45% of a carcass is ground beef. :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock:

How can you be so wrong RM? I have clearly stated the advance in price was due to several factors. First was exceptional demand up to the second quarter of 2004 coupled with the second largest decline in domestic beef production on record, down 1.65 billion pounds last year. The closure of the border did have a positive price impact but it was not the dominant reason for higher prices for either fed cattle or cows I continue to overestimate your ability RM. How could you have honestly made the aforementioned statement?

agman said:
RobertMac said:

How can you be so wrong RM? I have clearly stated the advance in price was due to several factors. First was exceptional demand up to the second quarter of 2004 coupled with the second largest decline in domestic beef production on record, down 1.65 billion pounds last year. The closure of the border did have a positive price impact but it was not the dominant reason for higher prices for either fed cattle or cows I continue to overestimate your ability RM. How could you have honestly made the aforementioned statement?

Sorry, Agman, my failing memory has been refreshed...I apologize. :cry:

RobertMac said:
agman said:
RobertMac said:

Sorry, Agman, my failing memory has been refreshed...I apologize. :cry:

My father told me it took a lot bigger man to admit a wrong than not to. You have restored my confidence in you. Have a cool one, it is hot here.

SASH, hate to pop your bubble, but close to 45% of a carcass is ground beef.

The increase that Canadian live cattle will add to the US is 3%. 45% 0f 3% is 1.35%. Are you telling me that you think a 1.35% increase in ground beef in the US is going to cause a 70 cent drop in the price of ground beef. I think you better check your math on that one. :wink:

SASH said:

The increase that Canadian live cattle will add to the US is 3%. 45% 0f 3% is 1.35%. Are you telling me that you think a 1.35% increase in ground beef in the US is going to cause a 70 cent drop in the price of ground beef. I think you better check your math on that one. :wink:

Maybe that's why I would think those who like to call others "liars" would be quick to point out that J. Patrick Boyle's comment that burger prices were $1.85 before the border closure and $2.55 now is misleading, at best. I think calling somebody a liar is pretty strong, but Mr. Boyle certainly is guilty of felony BSing. However, I do recognize the prevailing double standard on this board.... :wink:

Sandhusker said:
SASH said:

Maybe that's why I would think those who like to call others "liars" would be quick to point out that J. Patrick Boyle's comment that burger prices were $1.85 before the border closure and $2.55 now is misleading, at best. I think calling somebody a liar is pretty strong, but Mr. Boyle certainly is guilty of felony BSing. However, I do recognize the prevailing double standard on this board.... :wink:

If BSing was a felony, there'd be alot of guilty people here and everywhere else. :wink:

"Boyle said the ruling is also "a win for American consumers who were paying $1.85 a pound for ground beef before the border closed and are paying about $2.55 today."

That is a deceptive statement Sandman because it implies that the Canadian border being closed is the sole reason for this change in the price of ground beef and that just isn't true.

His statement is factual but his implication is not.

Consumers will see lower prices as a result of the Canadian border opening up IF ALL OTHER FACTORS REMAINED THE SAME, which they probably won't (RM disclaimer), but the Canadian border closure was not the only reason for those price changes.

I don't like deception no matter where it comes from Sandman.

There is no double standard here!

~SH~

Latest posts