• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CALLING ALL TEXANS!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Judith

Reaction score
Does Texas require a brand inspection for the sales and transport of horses? I just got a mare out of CO and she did require and brand inspection. A buddy of mine is trying to sell a gelding to Ontario from Texas. I cannot find the information on this state??? HELP!!!!

Branding isn't required.....so I wouldnt think there'd hafta be a brand inspection. Bout the only thing required when sellin a horse in Texas is Negative Coggins papers. Health Certificate when crossin state lines. Although I've never been check for either, except in 4-H events. We always have our coggins with us....but no one's ever asked to see em.

When transporting across state lines you do have to be ready for an inspection. And each state is different...grrr. Only time I have been stopped was in Florida...but, have had friends that were stopped in Wisconsin and Iowa where they unloaded and had to go through a inspection from papers to horses. Knock on wood I have been real lucky as many state lines as I have crossed, only went through it that one time in Florida. There is a number you can call and I was looking for my horse book, cant find it right off. Think its just the Department of Agriculture and they have what is required from each state and what is expected if you were to be stopped. We do have brand inspections, if the horse is branded ;).

Easty

I like that website too L.E. ....I have it bookmarked now.

lilly said it right
all you need to get out of texas is coggins and heath papers
but if you are going out thru ok,ark they will check your papres
and if you are going thru a state that has a brand law they will inspect your horse to see if it is the horse on the papers
texas has no brand law to speak of
but be shure the vet that does the papers puts all markings and brands on the papers as some vets here are a little laxed on that
good luck
jerry

It's been a few years since I hauled into Oklahoma....but we were never questioned at all there. Even stopped a time or two and unloaded and walked the horses, at road side parks. Got a few funny looks, but never anyone of authority anywhere. might be a lil stricter now tho.

As for brand inspectors in Texas...I know we have someone that gets paid for filling that possition.....but in the last 15 years sellin cows at the salebarn.....I've never seen the man.

Latest posts