• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

calve banding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

newbie farmer

Reaction score
Hi all could some one please tell me is it normal for calves to stiffen up in the back legs when banded we did one about seven days ago and how long before scrotal sack falls away thanks for your help :D

G'Day Newbie. No it is not normal to stiffen up in a week or at all. Are you sure you had both testies? Expect the sack to take 4 to 5 weeks to completely drop off. It should be just a strip of leather in 2 to 3 weeks. Might want to consult your vet about the stiffness.

Sounds like tetanus to me. Hopefully your giving a tetanus vaccine before you band, as banding is a perfect way to ask for it.

When we first put the band on, the calves sometimes walk funny, like it's pretty uncomfortable down there. This only lasts about a day, then they are running around. We also found that when we band, we don't place it right against the abdomen, we pull the band up a little to add some scrotal skin. Found out placing the band right against the abdomen, when the testicles fall off, cause a hole in the abdomen. Then it really gets nasty. Good luck.

I remember the exact same things happening to Loomix guy when he was banded.....he was fine in a week or two.

hard part was finding a band small enough to work! :shock:

newbie farmer said:
Hi all could some one please tell me is it normal for calves to stiffen up in the back legs when banded we did one about seven days ago and how long before scrotal sack falls away thanks for your help :D

No, it is not normal. How old was this calf, and did you vaccinate with Tetanus Toxoid? When the sac falls off depends on the age of the calf - the younger the calf, the sooner the sac falls off. A month old, the sac usually falls off in a few weeks. 6 months old, it can take a month or two. A yearling can take several months to fall off.

Latest posts