• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calve move

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per

Reaction score
It seems the cattle moves were not done. Out with the old for the calves. Clean up to be done by the cows at a later date.
Dec2010501.jpg

Some 24' and some 12' swaths. Not sure which I like better. Much better nutrient distribution on the twelves.
Dec2010498.jpg

New paddock.
Dec2010488.jpg

Move em on out of the old into the new.
Dec2010450.jpg

Dec2010485.jpg

For those of you who like lighter color cattle. I like her as well.
Dec2010469.jpg

Snow is deep but as you can see there is a wind break.
Dec2010484.jpg

Down there somewhere.
Dec2010483.jpg

Half hour later they haven't gone far.
Dec2010493.jpg

Barley straw left behind for the cows.
Dec2010502.jpg

Straggler left behind. She will have to find her own way to the rest on her own. Doesn't look to be suffering anyway.
Dec2010506.jpg

This was swathed in the second week of September which is a bit late for here and it has had several inches of rain on it. Less than a perfect situation. It is in surprisingly good condition considering and the calves are doing good on it. They also have access to mineral/protein lick tubs. In a normal year it would receive little or no rain and be frozen by early October. OK there is no normal year. It is oats and barley and they were moved onto oats, barley and millet.

Would you be able to show us more of that wind break? What does the other end look like? That looks rather interesting and useful. Thanks!

These are the best I can do without going out and taking current pics. They are all old drill movers and are picked up at one end with the 3 pt hitch. The 45' one steers on the back. I have had them weather vane but have never had one blow over in several years of service with the odd severe wind that has brought down permanent shelters. The deck and hoop on the long one is for baby calves to be out of the wind but not pressured by their moms.
P2240016.JPG

P2240011.JPG

P2220102.JPG

P2240017.JPG

Gcreek - Not a bad suggestion. Heavy feeders have gone over the top. 1000# @ $1.18 here this week, packages of 50 -60 hd.

per, your panels seem to be what I need to build since our girls don't have much shelter where they are this winter. It amazes me, however, that they don't blow over in the wind.

Last year I had a quantity of low quality wrapped bales that I stacked in a quarter circle with their back arched to the wind and they worked perfectly. But by spring the cows had worked through the wrap and pretty well destroyed their shelter.

They don't blow over because there is a perpendicular cross arm at the end you lift up and 10% space between the boards.

The steers will see barley when they are separated around Christmas time. Right now they just went into a fresh piece and will be doing very good while they take the cream off it. The swath grazing was seeded in stages and some was too mature when cut and the barley and oats are right there for them to get themselves. They also have some access to the straw bunches which have all the chaff in them from a Massey combine. Gcreek, I value your opinionated opinion.

Thanks for posting the pics, Per. Those look rather functional and not too hard to build. I like the idea of them on wheels as they may not freeze down quite bad as windbreaks that are on skids should they need to be moved in the middle of January! Where I would use them, they would have to be moved come spring since the ground is used for corn or soybeans.

Latest posts