• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calves off BM cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Today we brought the calves off the broken mouth cows plus so others to my place. There is 149 of them. About half are off the old cows the other half are from Bert's somewhere. 140 went out on irrigated hay regrowth. We cut off 9 peanuts that went into the corral where they will get something little better to eat. The picture of the little guys is fuzzy. But the best I could do they are a bit spooky and I grew on heck of a crop of weeds in the corral this year.

Attachments

• P8232639.JPG
    P8232639.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 55
  • P8232635.JPG
    P8232635.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 52
  • P8232637.JPG
    P8232637.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 56
  • P8232640.JPG
    P8232640.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 57
Calves look good!
Do you ever have a problem with what we used to call PE? Pulmonary Emphysema? Some call it asthma. We used to have problems with it when we went from dry native pasture to irrigated lush fields in the fall. We lost cattle with it and then we learned to watch for it. If I remember correctly it would start on day 5 through day 12. If the cows live through it, on a hot summer day you can see them struggle for breath. They can't expel the oxygen and their lungs fill with air. We had one or two posted and the lungs looked like the air bubbles that are used for packing material. I hate that disease. The biggest milking cows with the best appetite are prone to get it. I don't hear much about it any more, maybe putting some dry matter out has helped with it. I don't know...I hope you don't have that in your area.

Calves look good!
Do you ever have a problem with what we used to call PE? Pulmonary Emphysema? Some call it asthma. We used to have problems with it when we went from dry native pasture to irrigated lush fields in the fall. We lost cattle with it and then we learned to watch for it. If I remember correctly it would start on day 5 through day 12. If the cows live through it, on a hot summer day you can see them struggle for breath. They can't expel the oxygen and their lungs fill with air. We had one or two posted and the lungs looked like the air bubbles that are used for packing material. I hate that disease. The biggest milking cows with the best appetite are prone to get it. I don't hear much about it any more, maybe putting some dry matter out has helped with it. I don't know...I hope you don't have that in your area.
I hadn't heard of that one. I started this morning riding through them. I figure to do it twice a day. They are still a bit spooky of the quad but that will calm down in a couple days. They are kind of working up to this pasture. For 8 days they have been on short green grass before coming here. My problem so far has been that BC/Shag pup. She just knows that those 9 peanuts in the corral need her to get after them. We have to watch her like a hawk or she will sneak back down there.

Tippy was bad last winter for going and herding the calves in the corral last winter. WE picked up bulls on Saturday and I think they remembered him cause they sure handled well. Nice and dog broke.😊

Latest posts