• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving barn floor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
We're turning an existing building into a calving barn. It has slick concrete floors, what should we do about that? We thought about putting a good layer of sand down, then straw. Can't get a tractor in the building so would have to rent a little skidsteer or shovel it (not happening ;) ) Then thought about laying down hog panels with straw on top. Might be hard to clean. What are your thoughts?

Mine has a concrete floor. I just put straw down and haven't had a problem with cattle slipping. It's easy to clean. I use a pitchfork when the neighbors bobcat isn't available. Another reason I like the concrete floor is after getting the straw cleaned out, I like to use a disinfectant and water. May or May not help much but it makes me feel better.

Nicky said:
We're turning an existing building into a calving barn. It has slick concrete floors, what should we do about that? We thought about putting a good layer of sand down, then straw. Can't get a tractor in the building so would have to rent a little skidsteer or shovel it (not happening ;) ) Then thought about laying down hog panels with straw on top. Might be hard to clean. What are your thoughts?
Lots of bedding on slick cement works. A new calf happening to lay on cold cement is a recipe for hypothermia. Really dusty, but you might blow it in with a processor.

Have you thought about wood shavings? Easy to clean + good insulation properties on cold concrete foundation. I`ve been using wood shavings for years & they`ve been working fine.

We don't have any concrete, but the soil can get about as hard, it seems. And we had a problem with some horses pawing pretty deep into the ground a few years ago. We put pea gravel down several inches deep in there, then put some salvage belting on top. That works great! They don't slip. Liquids go through, and solids are easy to get out with a silage fork or shovel ('easy' being a term used by me, a person who doesn't do that job!)

The belting is in pieces two to four feet wide. It is about a half to three quarters inch thick and is very heavy. I notice it being moved with a small skid steer, as many of the pieces we have are ten feet long, or more. Those are about two and a half feet wide, I think. I believe they cut them to fit with some electric tool. Not sure what it is.

We got some at Cammacks at Union Center, but most recently have gotten it in Rapid City at a quarry. They use it to haul rock about a quarter of a mile, I believe, and it wears out to the point they can no longer use it.

Probably will also use some straw or wood shavings on top of the belting for absorbency and warmth of baby calves. Mostly hoping we don't have to have them in the barn at all! We calve most every thing in pastures, but probably will watch hiefers a little closer, especially if the weather gets bad. I think we won't start till about first of March, and that is too early for our weather! But it is nice to get them done before the cows start.

mrj

Our calving barn has a smooth cement floor and no problems.If you do have a cow get hurt during calving season,it's best to put her on a dirt floor as she won't get good footing on a smooth floor and it will make matters worse for you.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/rubber-stalltrailer-mat/ctl16754/cp58021/si5394082/cl1/

A lot of trailer and stall mats in rubber that I's sure consider at least for the initial delivery pen

This would be my pick

http://www.rbrubber.com/tenderfoot-easy-step.html

imagesCAAAMC8R.jpg

700_6843.jpg

Latest posts