• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving Book

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Been There

Reaction score
There is a calamity that strikes abject terror into the hearts of cattlemen.
People who raise cattle are subjected and conditioned to many adversities, from sickness and death in the herd, to drought, low return for cattle sold and high operating costs. But the most sudden and devastating thing that can happen, which threatens to cause a rancher to lose control of his senses, is losing the calving book.
I'm not talking about the ledger in which herd records are kept, which every cattleman should diligently keep up to date, (or at least those without computers in which records are kept), but the little shirt pocket sized booklet in which he records on the site birth of calves, the matching numbers of the cow and calf ear tags, the sex of the calf and sometimes the weight.
That booklet is safely ensconced within a shirt pocket, along with a ballpoint pen or stub pencil, throughout calving season. It is relocated into a new pocket with each changing of shirts and, if it becomes lost it causes instant panic, a thorough search of house, barns and corrals and much hollering at wife and kids until it is found. If it isn't retrieved it literally messes his whole calving operation up.
I am not calving cows now but I fastidiously carried my calving record book in my left shirt pocked when I was, and I had the misfortune of losing it several times. I think I always found it after much anxiety and searching. One time I distinctly remember, after looking everywhere I thought it could possibly be, more than once, I discovered I had put it in the washer, still in the pocket of my dirty shirt. After I found it, after it had gone through the wash and rinse cycle, and with much apprehension and trepidation, I gingerly peeled it open to discover that I could decipher the entries, not clearly but, "praise the Lord" they could still be read. Talk about jubilation, my calving season was saved.
Seems I have had a penchant for putting things in the washer that shouldn't be put in the washer. I have thourghly washed an assortment of bolts, nuts and screws, ballpoint pens, candy, coins and a billfold, along with its contents, at least twice. Doesn't hurt things like drivers licenses that are laminated in plastic, and credit cards. It surely doesn't do the various sundry of assorted papers containing names addresses and phone numbers any good, or the wallet… especially leather ones.
And the stuff you hear about laundered money has a whole other different meaning.

If that ain't God's honest truth... :lol:

The lesser half has never really lost one that I can recall, but there was a time when he was leaning over the water tank and it fell in. My hairdryer saved the day. That and a good pen, apparently, that didn't really run.
(You would think he would have learned his lesson, but he's done the same to his cell phone a few times too... :roll: )

Yep I have done that. I guess we should have 2 tally books, one for the shirt pocket and a backup one for the house. somewhere in my desk drawer is a quite thick red book with wrinkled and worped pages, from the time I leaned over the water tank and it fell from my shirt pocket. the one in the wash machine was a different story. All I had left was the cover and red spots on one of my best shirts.

Clarence said:
Yep I have done that. I guess we should have 2 tally books, one for the shirt pocket and a backup one for the house. somewhere in my desk drawer is a quite thick red book with wrinkled and worped pages, from the time I leaned over the water tank and it fell from my shirt pocket. the one in the wash machine was a different story. All I had left was the cover and red spots on one of my best shirts.

Clarence- thats about how I learned too :lol: I keep a large folder book in the house and transcribe everything over every few days during calving-- even my notes about pulls, snotty cows, bad mommas, etc., but I think I'd still be lost with all the other little notes I write all over in it....

That is why I use a PDA for my calving book. It gets backed up to the computer 2 or 3 times a day, morning, noon, and evening. It only takes seconds with no transcribe mistakes.

If I dunk it in the tank it does cost more than a little red book but at least I still have the information. I started out with a outdated model palm IIIxe that cost me $25 because I wasn't sure how useful I would find it. I liked it so well that when I lost it, I upgraded to a newer model with more features. I still have all the info from the old one and after about 2 years I did find it again, but I always did have all the information.
I have heard people tell me that they do ALWAYS copy everything down from their pocket book to the one in the house every day. Liars, I bet they don't get it done every day either. I know from past experiences that don't happen around here. About the time you get busy calving during a nasty winter spell and it won't get done, then it happens, laundered book and it wasn't backed up yet!

When I was using a book, it was a real pain when switching to a new one because I had to rewrite all the notes and phone numbers in. Then after I got about so much information recorded, I was afraid to carry it for fear of loosing all my information.
Now I almost always have about every phone number that I might want to call right with me. Came in real handy a few years back when I got a cell call that my mother who I had just eaten dinner with 2 hours before was on the way to the hospital and wasn't sure she would make it. I had all the numbers I needed and had many of the calls made by the time I got back home.

It is easy to have excel spread sheets, word files, pictures, music, and about any information you might have on a computer right with you even if you are in the calving lot, on the ski slopes, out horseback, or baling hay.

When the doctors start asking for my mothers health history including what dates what was done and by who and where, I now have that information with me, even if I didn't know I was going to need it. Now it is getting to where the Doc is asking for my health history!

theHiredMansWife said:

The lesser half has never really lost one that I can recall, but there was a time when he was leaning over the water tank and it fell in. My hairdryer saved the day. That and a good pen, apparently, that didn't really run.
(You would think he would have learned his lesson, but he's done the same to his cell phone a few times too... :roll: )

WHOA!!! YOU TOO???!!! :shock: :shock:
2 summers ago the hubby went through 3 cell phones to irrigation ditches...the last of which was never found :lol: :lol: i cannot even begin to say how many times he has asked me "honey....you didn't by any chance wash that really dirty shirt that i was wearing yesterday, did ya??"...least to say, he now put his OWN clothes in the laundry...that way, if he leaves he calving book and pen in the left side pocket, then that is HIS problem!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thankfully all my animals are at home here, so if something calves, I head back to the house and write it down. I've never had more than 10 calves in a day, and made it back to the house after each, written down the stats, and went back to it. I don't carry my book with me, then it can't get lost :) Same as my PDA. I needed a high end one for work, and could not even think about losing it. :lol: I quit carrying cell phones too. :lol:

Rod

sandhiller said:
That is why I use a PDA for my calving book. It gets backed up to the computer 2 or 3 times a day, morning, noon, and evening. It only takes seconds with no transcribe mistakes.

If I dunk it in the tank it does cost more than a little red book but at least I still have the information. I started out with a outdated model palm IIIxe that cost me $25 because I wasn't sure how useful I would find it. I liked it so well that when I lost it, I upgraded to a newer model with more features. I still have all the info from the old one and after about 2 years I did find it again, but I always did have all the information.
I have heard people tell me that they do ALWAYS copy everything down from their pocket book to the one in the house every day. Liars, I bet they don't get it done every day either. I know from past experiences that don't happen around here. About the time you get busy calving during a nasty winter spell and it won't get done, then it happens, laundered book and it wasn't backed up yet!

When I was using a book, it was a real pain when switching to a new one because I had to rewrite all the notes and phone numbers in. Then after I got about so much information recorded, I was afraid to carry it for fear of loosing all my information.
Now I almost always have about every phone number that I might want to call right with me. Came in real handy a few years back when I got a cell call that my mother who I had just eaten dinner with 2 hours before was on the way to the hospital and wasn't sure she would make it. I had all the numbers I needed and had many of the calls made by the time I got back home.

It is easy to have excel spread sheets, word files, pictures, music, and about any information you might have on a computer right with you even if you are in the calving lot, on the ski slopes, out horseback, or baling hay.

When the doctors start asking for my mothers health history including what dates what was done and by who and where, I now have that information with me, even if I didn't know I was going to need it. Now it is getting to where the Doc is asking for my health history!
What software program do you store the data in? Excel?

I'm a younger fella who works for a local rancher about 6 or 7 miles from the place i was raised. The guy i work for raises some pretty good herford cows that raise good calves but he has pretty strict habits when it come to culling. All of his note on what should be sold and kept are in the little book he kepps in his shirt pocket. It would be a bad bad deal if it were to get washed or lost. I think we could probaly find most of the cows that needed sold though by the smears of green from the vern panel they crashed in to on a pretty regular basis. just guessin but a man might find them to by just gettin off on foot in a corral with them, they would probaly come meet ya.
:D :) :D

Jinglebob JR said:
I'm a younger fella who works for a local rancher about 6 or 7 miles from the place i was raised. The guy i work for raises some pretty good herford cows that raise good calves but he has pretty strict habits when it come to culling. All of his note on what should be sold and kept are in the little book he kepps in his shirt pocket. It would be a bad bad deal if it were to get washed or lost. I think we could probaly find most of the cows that needed sold though by the smears of green from the vern panel they crashed in to on a pretty regular basis. just guessin but a man might find them to by just gettin off on foot in a corral with them, they would probaly come meet ya.
:D :) :D

Shoot, them ol' herefords are pets! I know 'em. Now if you want to talk wild, one summer I was up in the Badlands of North Dakota......... :wink:

Inside joke between Jr and me.

I lost the calving book one year, and didn't care. :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was late in the spring, and I was out in the cow pen writing down the numbers of the handful of pairs left, so I would know who went to the last pasture. We had a big pretty girl purebred cow out there who had calved the day before. She had always been good other years, but for some reason she had some kind of mental breakdown this time out. I knew she was being spooky, so I kept my eye on her. Her calf was in the next pen, around a corner and far from me. She was in the pen with her, but the gate was open between the two pens. I figured, spooky or not, she was far enough out of my area that she should stay with her calf, right? NOT.

So I was minding my own business, writing in the book when all of a sudden I was flying through the air! She hit me right in the middle of the back, at what I figure must have been a pretty good rate of speed. Anyway, the next thing I knew I was being shoved across the ground, and could see a big brown eye right over my right shoulder about six inches from my face! She was walking all over my leg, and trying to drive me into the ground with her head. This was turning into a near death experience! Home alone. No dog nearby. It didn't look good. Finally I tried screaming (real scream, just like the horror movies!) right in her ear. That made her back of just long enough for me to scoot out through the barb wire fence. Without a scratch!

Needless to say. We never saw the calving book again. Didn't care either. I was just glad to be alive. :)

Priorities....

ranchwife said:
2 summers ago the hubby went through 3 cell phones to irrigation ditches..

He's had his phone taken apart down to the circuit board no less than four times now in order to let it dry out. :lol: Amazingly enough, water has never harmed it long-term, but the dirt and gunk are causing some of the keys to fail...
I don't know who makes those things, but obviously they aren't made for folks like us. :wink:

ranchwife said:
theHiredMansWife said:

2 summers ago the hubby went through 3 cell phones to irrigation ditches...the last of which was never found :lol: :lol: i cannot even begin to say how many times he has asked me "honey....you didn't by any chance wash that really dirty shirt that i was wearing yesterday, did ya??"...least to say, he now put his OWN clothes in the laundry...that way, if he leaves he calving book and pen in the left side pocket, then that is HIS problem!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In my house the women do the laundry. Especially the two daughters.

You see, I have a habit of NOT using my wallet to keep my money safe. In fact it seems like I never have any cash - 'nuther story. :D

All the money tends to roll around loose in my pockets. Come laundry day it is finders keepers. So the girls love to do my clothes. I can assure you they search each and every pocket very carefully.

Nothing ends up in the laundry except the clothes.

B.C.

Good system BC. I use it myself when I do MY laundry! :lol:

When the boys were in highschool, I got to noticing that a lot of my clothes were disappearing, so I started doing my own washing and I got lots of clothes now. And sox! :lol:

I don't use a pocket size book......that way I can't stick it in my pocket. I use one that's about half the size of a spiral notebook, and have a organizer pocket thing that's mounted behind the seat of my truck, under the window, that's where it stays. All kinda goodies in that hangin pocket thing, taggin pliers and tags in an old bank bag, a knife for cuttin hay string, a machette and a sortin stick. Prolly somemore stuff that I aint seen in a while.
Round our house these days, I do mine and Mr Lilly's laundry, the kids do their own. My rule was if it doesn't make it to the clothes hamper I don't wash it. (thought that'd make em put their clothes there, but it didnt, so they do their own)

Latest posts