• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ezeranch

Reaction score
I have a question about calving....

This is somthing that we haven't encountered yet so I would like some opinions. I was checking cows last weekend and we have one that is due to calve in a couple weeks. Well, she was laying down and it looked like she had a red bubble protruding out. I thought (based on expreience with other cows) that she was probably going to be calving soon. Well, she still hasn't calved and the next couple times I have checked her (over a weeks period) I havn't seen the bubble again until today. This time it looked a little bigger, about 2 inches in diameter. When she stands up it disappears. Is this something I should be worried about? We are trying to get our panels back from another pasture so we can get her caught and get her in the squeeze chute to check her. Thanks in advance!

It is nothing to panic over, but after she calves, cull her. She will turn into a prolapsing cow as her ligaments weaken (and they will get weaker every year),

PPRM

We were planning on culling her anyway because she looks as though she is getting mastitis in two of her quarters. Thanks for the advice though!

Most likely it is a simple vaginal prolapse. As long as the calf is in her she won't have any problem. Watch her after she calves for a few hours to make sure she doesn't go ahead and have a uterine prolapse. Most likely you won't have any problem.

If your cow is real fat , she's gonna tend to have that ' protrusion' when preg also.

I've had a couple that did that.....they never prolapsed and I never culled them either.

I guess it depends on the cow.

I have had this happen to a couple of our cattle. They have had no difficulties calving and we still have both without subsequent calving problems. I personally woudn't be worried, but I would just keep an eye on her to make sure everything is okay. It is probably a good idea to cull her like you plan. I probably should with ours, but I generally learn the hard way!:) Good luck and I hope she has a nice, healthy calf.

So far so good. She is showing all the signs that she should calve tonight so we will see what happens. Thanks for all of the advice.

Don't worry about the uterine prolapse either. What you've got is simply a small vaginal prolapse and the two (uterine and vaginal) are completely unrelated.

Rod

She calved last night and had no problems. Mom and calf (bull) are both doing great. We were hoping to get a bull out of her since we are raising bucking stock. Thanks again for all the help!

51.jpg

LOVE the marking on that calf!!!! Beeeeautiful!!!

Glad everything worked out for ya!

Latest posts