• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving Rolling Along.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

North Ridge Ranching

Reaction score
Having a nice start to calving. Weather has been good, only a couple of snowy, windy, cool days. All in all, pretty good though. Just about a third done with only one help so far. I am sure there will be more but that is calving. I have been on a bit of a run of bulls. Not many for the replacement pen yet. Had our first set of twins today as well. Our now 4 year old angus bull had a good run off the start. He had 16 out of the first 25 born and was over half done his herd in the first 12 days of calving.

I hope everybody is enjoying a little good luck at this time of year as well.

WyomingRancher said:
With 13 left to calve, I'm running 59% bull calves.
We just had our first calf born this morning...a week early! We always feel behind everyone else "over here" in our part of the state...this year we should have been calving earlier with the nice weather! Did you make it to the Culver sale or hear how it went? They didn't pap test near as well as I would have expected---only about 10 that would have worked for here. I did like their Shamrock bred bulls a lot though!

Half done and things still going pretty good. It has been raining on and off all day, making things a little soggy, but the temperature is still good. We sure needed the rain, I hope April is full of these showers. It is just a nice slow soaker, the perfect kind.

North Ridge Ranching said:
Half done and things still going pretty good. It has been raining on and off all day, making things a little soggy, but the temperature is still good. We sure needed the rain, I hope April is full of these showers. It is just a nice slow soaker, the perfect kind.

April showers bring the scours. :wink:

Wyoming Wind said:
WyomingRancher said:
With 13 left to calve, I'm running 59% bull calves.
We just had our first calf born this morning...a week early! We always feel behind everyone else "over here" in our part of the state...this year we should have been calving earlier with the nice weather! Did you make it to the Culver sale or hear how it went? They didn't pap test near as well as I would have expected---only about 10 that would have worked for here. I did like their Shamrock bred bulls a lot though!

I did make it, and posted my official "Sale Report" here:
http://www.ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=564015#564015

Yes, I was surprised at the high PAP scores, and it seemed to be a bigger problem in the purebreds. The best looking bulls were out of the Shamrock In Focus bull, and Mountain Pass sired daughters IMHO :). Just watch the milk and size with Shamrock genetics... speaking from experience :wink: .

I've got the sale results if you're interested in any particular lot. My favorite picks were lot 5- $7500, lot 19-$7500, lot 62-$7000, and lot 67-$4500. Glad I wasn't there to buy bulls!

gcreekrch said:

They are hopefully going to high ground tomorrow. Let's just hope the scourgaurd is working good.

gcreekrch said:

They are hopefully going to high ground tomorrow. Let's just hope the scourgaurd is working good.

I talked to Mac Creech at Lloyd this morning. Even though he has almost all of his females on grass he sounded envious of the 15 inches of old snow we still have. :lol:

If I was a planning man in that country, I would be thinking about buying 1/2 of my hay needs now while it's cheap insurance. :wink:

My calves would love to see some warm sunshine. In march we had 7.9 inches of rain, :( normal is 3.7" and 16 total in. of snow. Portland Airport had the latest recorded snow fall on record coming in mid March. Its starting to look like last spring (no hay cutting tell mid July). PS running 70% bull calves.

I'm slightly under 1/2 done with 9 bull calves - - - not a hiefer in the bunch.

I guess I might not have any hiefers to keep back this year - - - but then the remaining 12 might all be hiefers!

27 1st-calf-heiffers left to go...can't wait to finish-up here and head back into Wyo before the few remaining ranch-jobs are all gone and taken-up by college-interns.

gcreekrch said:
gcreekrch said:

I talked to Mac Creech at Lloyd this morning. Even though he has almost all of his females on grass he sounded envious of the 15 inches of old snow we still have. :lol:

If I was a planning man in that country, I would be thinking about buying 1/2 of my hay needs now while it's cheap insurance. :wink:

We are real slackers as we don't start calving until month's end, but I would gladly take some moisture (Mac is about 45 minutes north east of us and I expect he got in on some of the good showers this weekend). We are pretty lucky as we have about 2/3 of our hay needs untouched from this past winter, and struggled to bale graze our 18 bales committed to a research project. Next year's feed is nearly all set out already... We should finish up our swaths in a couple of weeks, and have grass laid out until August. Cautious grazing means we don't always make big windfall profits, but we also don't run out of grass or $ in the off years.

Latest posts