• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

calving time!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sw

Reaction score
Just started calving the heifers, always get some early, got a set of twins yesterday afternoon. Got great grass and fat cows.

cow3.jpg

If anything, these cows get too fat.

cow2.jpg

What more could you ask for, grass up to their ears.

cow1.jpg

The hardest part sometimes is finding the calves to tag them and these cows get to playing "killdeer" with us and running off away from the calf acting like they have it hid on the other side of nowhere. I have looked for calves for a couple of days, knowing the cow has calved and hoping that the coyotes did not get it.

calf1.jpg

And just to show you that I am not all work and no fun, here is a picture of the daughter (The one with the big mouth), the Marine, and the ranchwifes' daughter (the demo driver) that you can't hardly see cause they are going by way to fast. There was also a picture of us having a cold one under an umbrella but I won't post it because someone would get the wrong impression of me with that green frozen drink in my hand.

ride.jpg

SW - Those are some great looking freeze brands. Did you use nitrogen or dry ice and alcohol. I use a ranch brand and cool it with dry ice and sunnyside denatured alcohol. I leave the iron on a neatly clipped and alcohol soaked spot for 55 seconds. However, I have noticed a lot of diffrence in the final outcome. Even heifers that go through the chute one after the other. Any suggestions?

Angus Breeder

sw----I cannot even begin to tell you what a wonderful time "demo driver" had with you and your family!!!! Loved the pictures (all of them)....good looking cows ya got there!!! Thanks again for letting jessica join you and your family on a wonderful day at the fair!!! :D

Angus breeder,
we use dry ice and alcohol and two sets of bronze irons for 60 to 65 seconds. Surgical blades on a big clipper followed by 40's surgical on the small clippers. I think that getting as close to the skin as possible, getting it good and clean and applying the same amount of pressure each time is key. We still have some that don't turn out as good as others, we used to keep notes on each one, they jumped, went extra 10 seconds, things like that and then compare notes on what worked and what didn't. Someone on here posted last spring that they also used a spray bottle of alcohol and sprayed the irons while on the cow and that improved consistancy. I'm going to try that this fall. I have had other people tell me that you have to freeze brand on the coldest day of the year to get good results, since we fall calve, weve been doing these in September when we Bangs the replacements, still works. Another thing, it is a boring job, people tend to get lax after awhile and not pay attention to detail. big mistake.
George,
We are in the Bull Mountains north east of Billings Mt about 65 miles.
Andy,
We have found also that in the fall these cows are a little more "athletic", they can run faster, jump higher and run up your back at a much faster pace. Wifey fixed that, she started taking a bucket or two of cake with us and distracks the more athletic cows while I run and get the calf tagged, banded and vaccinated. I have had to tag hiding under the truck :oops: We quit trying to tag on horses as most of the cows see a horse and they think it is time to move and they pick up their calf and run. Then you end up roping the calf and momma gets even more upset. Calf hook and feed truck works much smoother and easier on our bodies!
Ranchwife,
Jessica is welcome at our fire anytime she wants, like I told John, being genetically you, having Jesse's influence (haha) she is a hoot! Just don;t make me ride with her driving :lol:

What wonderful looking cattle! In the past I have owned several looks-just like them. Useful, reproductive,and I'll bet they'll eat a Heeler! Yeah I know they're too big, mine sold @ 1240# cow, bred and full, their last steer calves weighed #704 thru the ring @ 195 days ave.

sw,
would you PM me your first name for the Get-together, please?

Well sw you can go on a Canadian adventure and brand my replacements while your up here lol. We've just hot iron branded them the last few years but a freeze brand is much nicer. Since the border closed our calving season stretched a bit longer than we'd like-just finishing up right now-pretty much zero labour- I only quit fall calving because I refused to A'I during deer season and we can't run our cows out licking snow if they are milking but it is sure a nice time of year to calve. Why is Hanta Yo surprised it's still green up here -it is God'sa country you know things really grow when we get those 20 hour days lol.

sw said:
Angus breeder,
we use dry ice and alcohol and two sets of bronze irons for 60 to 65 seconds. Surgical blades on a big clipper followed by 40's surgical on the small clippers. I think that getting as close to the skin as possible, getting it good and clean and applying the same amount of pressure each time is key. We still have some that don't turn out as good as others, we used to keep notes on each one, they jumped, went extra 10 seconds, things like that and then compare notes on what worked and what didn't. Someone on here posted last spring that they also used a spray bottle of alcohol and sprayed the irons while on the cow and that improved consistancy. I'm going to try that this fall. I have had other people tell me that you have to freeze brand on the coldest day of the year to get good results, since we fall calve, weve been doing these in September when we Bangs the replacements, still works. Another thing, it is a boring job, people tend to get lax after awhile and not pay attention to detail. big mistake.
George,
We are in the Bull Mountains north east of Billings Mt about 65 miles.
Andy,
We have found also that in the fall these cows are a little more "athletic", they can run faster, jump higher and run up your back at a much faster pace. Wifey fixed that, she started taking a bucket or two of cake with us and distracks the more athletic cows while I run and get the calf tagged, banded and vaccinated. I have had to tag hiding under the truck :oops: We quit trying to tag on horses as most of the cows see a horse and they think it is time to move and they pick up their calf and run. Then you end up roping the calf and momma gets even more upset. Calf hook and feed truck works much smoother and easier on our bodies!
Ranchwife,
Jessica is welcome at our fire anytime she wants, like I told John, being genetically you, having Jesse's influence (haha) she is a hoot! Just don;t make me ride with her driving :lol:

We did 40 heifers this spring it was about 80 degrees that day I use dry Ice and alcohol for 65 seconds.

Thanks for the photos,SW! We start fall calving in approx 1 month as it is too hot any earlier here in central KS. Great looking cows. Don't get the fall calves tagged to match their mothers but get spring calves tagged to match. I figure I will either be trampled by a protective cow or calf will run off. Besides, in the fall do not keep as close of tab on them due to good weather conditions and good calving conditions. Hope all goes well for you-keep us up to date.

Latest posts