• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calving

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
They are coming like gangbusters, 2 days past due and there are over 100 on the ground.
P4100753.jpg

P4100754.jpg

Watched a heifer calve before lunch today.
P4100755.jpg

Stretched out on my green horse enjoying the bit of sun we got when curiosity got the cow.
P4100756.jpg

Testing the wind direction.
P4100760.jpg

Making headway.
P4100762.jpg

P4100763.jpg

Good progress when the posse arrived. :roll:
P4100765.jpg

That ground looks hard Ma!
P4100766.jpg

I can almost reach, go easy.
P4100767.jpg

The eagle has landed.
P4100768.jpg

Maternal pride has no bounds. :D
P4100770.jpg

good to see your picture's Gcreek, glad your getting a good start on calving and hope that it continues well for you. do you plow the snow to one side prior to unrolling the hay?

I've watched so many hit the ground, and yet it STILL never ceases to make me 'wince' whenever I see, hear (and almost 'feel') the "SPLORCH !" when they fall out...

...so much more fun though, than having to pull 'em out, ain't it ?

Every face tells a story, and that calf's is saying, "Hi." :)

Must still be cold enough to be wearing those nice wool britches. :wink:

Thanks for the pictures; happy calving.

Congrats on the great early start, good luck going forward!

looks good my meadows beared up last week , but there ice where the feed grounds are... about thru calving here getting ready to undress ewes when after this snow storm moves thru.

I am started too gcrkranch, got 3 on the ground. Yours look good even though you have some of that white stuff on the ground.

hayguy said:
good to see your picture's Gcreek, glad your getting a good start on calving and hope that it continues well for you. do you plow the snow to one side prior to unrolling the hay?

We feed on clean snow every day, just move over a bale width. The yard where the heifers are calving is plowed so it will dry off earlier than waiting for Mother Nature to do it. There are also a couple of sandhills where the older cows are that were plowed off today. When this water starts to run, dry beds are at a premium.

There are bare and dry circles under the spruce for now. Calling for rain the next 2 days. Not great for calves but it should dropthis snow a bunch.

Soap, wool pants are standard dress from Oct. to June. :wink: :lol:

Jody, do you move your pairs to the hillsides now?

Thanks everyone, good luck yourselves.

One third done, these cows have never went like this before. :D

A few ups and downs but going well inspite of the wet snow we keep getting. 3 sets of live twins now. One 5 year old cow tipped over on her back a night ago, I suppose God needed her more for his herd. :(

gcreekrch said:

A few ups and downs but going well inspite of the wet snow we keep getting. 3 sets of live twins now. One 5 year old cow tipped over on her back a night ago, I suppose God needed her more for his herd. :(
seems a few of black cows have that problem every year hardly ever a red white face

jodywy said:
gcreekrch said:

seems a few of black cows have that problem every year hardly ever a red white face

This one wasn't black.

Out of my 20 cows and 1 hiefer I had an old girl calve early ( Dec. 28th ) but the rest started March 26th and finished April 7th with the exception of the hiefer and the oldest cow ( 19 years old )

According to the preg test they should come late May.

With the 19 calves on the ground 18 are bulls!

I guess I will have to trade with a neighbor to keep a few hiefers back.

The Vet feels the bull worked hard for a couple of weeks and then the really hot weather came and he took a while off. Not to bad as this was his first time out!

The bull is a smokey that is 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Charolis and while all the cows but 3 are Angus so the calves are 7/8 Angus yet all the calves are smokies!

I guess the Charolis genes are strong!

George said:
Out of my 20 cows and 1 hiefer I had an old girl calve early ( Dec. 28th ) but the rest started March 26th and finished April 7th with the exception of the hiefer and the oldest cow ( 19 years old )

According to the preg test they should come late May.

With the 19 calves on the ground 18 are bulls!

I guess I will have to trade with a neighbor to keep a few hiefers back.

The Vet feels the bull worked hard for a couple of weeks and then the really hot weather came and he took a while off. Not to bad as this was his first time out!

The bull is a smokey that is 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Charolis and while all the cows but 3 are Angus so the calves are 7/8 Angus yet all the calves are smokies!

I guess the Charolis genes are strong!

I would like about 3/4 of my bulls to copy your's George. :D

With a steer cheque like that you can buy the best replacements available.

Latest posts