• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

calving

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Probably sore. Did he pull hard? Could he stand before? Are his knees swollen, he might have "rickets".

If he has swollen joints, he needs medical attention. If they aren't and he was up before, he probably just needs some more time. Other than that, danged if I know? :???: :?

If his joints are week try putting a bandage to make them stiffer or a splint.
Either way he will probably need help till he get strength in his legs(joints).

Don't let him lay with his legs curled under him, make sure they are extended and in front of him. This will allow for the swelling to work it's way out quicker.

Splint him, a stiff hose cut in half lengthways works well bound with horse leg wrap or duct tape. Put the splints on the back side of his legs for more support. He'll probably still need help to stand up, but he should be able to support his own weight once he is up. When he's stronger, he'll come along fine. A shot of vitamin ADE and selenium wouldn't hurt either.

av smoker - I agree with shelly. I guess I should ask is the calf buckleing over. Then its probably the tendens in his legs. We have had that problem before with a hard pull but also cows having a big calf with out no help. What we do is take an inch board cut it 8 inches long. Put it underneath it leg let it stick out pass hoof about 1/2 in that pressure is on board not on hoof when standing up. Wrap it with duct tape. Leave it for 3 days calf should be walking good then. Also so seen people use pvc pipe and cut in half to use too.

Splints of some type is what I would recommend. Even if you use pipe, be sure to keep it a bit longer down by the hoof, like Brush Popper said.

I know it is a worry, but you'll probably not be able to tell him from the rest come fall.

BOS-E is a good vaccine to give in this instance~on the order of what Shelly mentioned.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I don't know how you pulled him, av, but I find I do a lot less damage if I put the loop of the pulling chains just above the pastern joint, then give it a half hitch just below the joint. This evens out the strain pretty good, and very seldom hurts them. Just my 2 cents.
My experience with the sore front feet: splint them and they'll be better in a week. Do nothing, they'll be better in 7 days.

Soapweed even posted a picture a few days back about putting the chains on the way you described, Silver. I sure appreciate your guys consideration of those little fellas. If the animal rights folks only knew what REALLY goes on in our industry...the caring and the concern that is so obvious in much of what we do.

That's a fact, FH. I can't say much about what happens after they leave the ranch but I can say even PETA would have to appreciate a lot of what we do for 'em.
For instance, I know a guy that used 25 pairs of ear warmers steadily for a period of time last winter. That would have made quite a picture.

Silver said:
That's a fact, FH. I can't say much about what happens after they leave the ranch but I can say even PETA would have to appreciate a lot of what we do for 'em.
For instance, I know a guy that used 25 pairs of ear warmers steadily for a period of time last winter. That would have made quite a picture.

Does a roll of duct tape qualify? :wink: Best ear warmer I've found....Hopefully I can leave it behind the seat of the pickup this year....

We quit using chains and switched to the straps and it makes quiet a difference for the good!! So much easier onthe calfs legs and joints.

We hardly EVER have to resort to the calf jack but those straps are great.

:???: To help calves that are weak or sore after a calving experience I've used a horse halter and put it on the calf a leg through each cheek place in the halter then buckled it around the calf. Then had the halter to grab on to in order to help the calf stand. I go out in the morning, noon, and night stand him up awhile and try and get him to walk around. The ones I've done this with eventially got up and were going on their own.

Latest posts