• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Camera help needed..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I have picked a few that are available through our visa gold rewards program..

FUJI FinePix 10MP Digital Camera Boasts 12x optical zoom, panorama shooting mode plus face detection for beautiful portraits.

Sony Cyber-shot 12.1MP Digital Still Camera Sony's DSCW220B Cyber-shot®Digital Camera featuring 12.1 MP Image Sensor, 4x Optical Zoom and Optical Image Stabilization - Black.

Fuji FinePix A820 8.3MP Digital Camera 8.3 megapixel Super CCD HR image sensor produces sharper, more brilliant, higher resolution pictures (there are only 6 left of this one).

Canon EOS Rebel XSi Camera 18-55 IS Kit Point and shoot ease married with technological innovation including Integrated Cleaning System, Live View Function, DIGIC III Image Processor plus a new 12.2MP CMOS Sensor and 3" LCD monitor. I really like this one but it is 128 000 points and will use up all that we have..

There are more but these are a few that people have suggested, I want to use our points for a new camera because I don't want to spend any money..

Thanks

I have a Panasonic that takes good pictiures and is easy to use; BUT I hate not having a view finder. There is such a glare on the window that you are supposed to use that sometimes (too many times) it is black from the glare. I'm getting another and I think I will go with the Canon Rebel. The one I looked at has a view finder. They are bigger tho, and more clumsy to pack with you all the time.

Good luck!

I've had two Fuji's and loved em both. Currently usin the second one. I won't have one that doesn't have a veiw finder!!!!!! I had a sony a long time ago, when digitals first came out, I was happy with it as well.

I know Jassy uses a Sony, couldn't tell you what model...but I know this is at least her second Sony and she's said that she's real pleased with them. I"m sure she'll pipe up on this subject when she gets on.

I have had good luck with the Sony Cyber-Shots, and would recommend this to you, based only on my previous experience. Happy camera clickin' no matter what you get. :)

Faster horses said:
Soap, does your Sony have a view-finder???

Just me. :wink: I find a view, open the camera, push a button, and the camera and the computer do the rest. Technically speaking, I don't think this camera has a "view-finder." The front pushes down, which allows the picture to show up in the big window at the back.

The Canon is a full sized D-SLR, only for serious amateur photographers and hobbyists. Good camera, although I've never been especially impressed by Canon's softer images. I find myself changing the white color balance to "cloudy day" just to get some extra punch. If you're a "Automatic" mode picture taker, don't bother. This camera has a pile of extras that you'll never use.

I really like Fuji cameras. My first digital was a Fuji A320, and I still like that camera. However, they've slid a bit with their current cameras. Havng said that, I still like the way a Fuji picture looks. Bright, punchy colors are a trademark. Some of the purists say that the colors aren't "realistic", but I always thought that pictures were to be enjoyed, not "accurate". The A820 is a low end camera for options, so it should be priced accordingly. I've seen it as low as $89.00.

The MegaZoom Fujis are well regarded as well, but without an actual model, I can't begin to tell you what the camera is like.

I don't know a thing about Sony.

There are several good camera web sites: dcresource.com dpreview.com digitalcamerareview.com and steves digitals are ones that I like and seem to be reasonably un-biased. DPreview I think is a little biased toward Canon, but that may be my own bias showing through.

Rod
PS The A820 doesn't have image stabilization, so if you're shaky, stay away from it.

I run a Canon elph for in my shirtpocket that has literally been around the world, dropped off a horse, etc. I also have a Pentax DSLR that is very rugged and takes good pictures. It is weather and dust sealed and has anti shake built into the body. this means you don't have to buy lenses with shake reduction in them, so the lenses are cheaper.
If you have aeroplan points, I would consider trading them in for a Future Shop or costco gift card and using the cash to buy the camera you want.
All those cameras are pretty good, but I would buy a camera from a camera company (Pentax, Nikon, Canon) as there is still a difference in the lens quality.

RSL said:
All those cameras are pretty good, but I would buy a camera from a camera company (Pentax, Nikon, Canon) as there is still a difference in the lens quality.

This is also pretty good advice. I'd add Fuji to that list. While they've got their fingers in other pies, they've been in cameras and film for decades...

There weren't any Nikons in your rewards program, huh? D40, D40x and D60s are all excellent D-SLRs.

Rod

I have an Olympus FE-230. Its a handy size (about the size of a deck of cards), pretty easy to use and takes decent pictures. It doesn't seem to be the most durable though if you knock it around or if you're around dust and dirt.

I have the first Canon EOS. It is a point and shoot but has more for when you are ready to move to more advanced shooting. The New EOS is the same, just more punch. If your wanting to expand your shooting I would go for the Canon. You will not be disapointed in a Canon.

I ordered the fuji 12X zoom .I was going to get the sony but at the last minute changed my mind. I want the canon but I priced them out and they are only around 800 dollars to buy so it makes no sense to use 130000 points which realistically we had to buy 130000 dollars of stuff using our card to get on an 800 dollar camera, the fuji is only 35000 points. So the fugi will suit its purpose for us at this time. Maybe in the future I will become a hobbyist photographer and will get a really fancy one..

Thank you for all of you help and input.. :)

Well Monday I changed my mind and after a ton of phone calls and emails I was finally able to cancel the order..
I decided on the Canon EOS Rebel XSi Camera 18-55 IS Kit Point and shoot ease married with technological innovation including Integrated Cleaning System, Live View Function, DIGIC III Image Processor plus a new 12.2MP CMOS Sensor and 3" LCD monitor.

It will be here in 2-4 weeks..Just a heads up for all of you that offered to help me ,thanks and I will need all the help I can get as I am camera stupid..

Latest posts