• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cameras

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
What with the CONTEST starting, let's compare cameras. That way those thinking of getting one will have some 'real' experience to go by instead of salesmen!
I have two digital Kodaks. The first one was a DC4800, 3.1 megapixel, with a 3X optical zoom, which we have had for 7ish years. I've been very happy with it, it takes great pictures and has stood up to hard use (found it laying on the ground in the corral with two colts I was working with :oops: ). I just got a new Kodak a couple weeks ago (it was a gift :p ) It is a CV7530, 5 megapixel, with a 3X zoom. It was waaay cheaper than the first one (the new one was $178.00 at Walmart). I'm liking it so far. The only thing I'm not sure about is the battery system. My first one had a rechargeable battery and I could just plug the camera in to recharge it. I never replaced the battery and never had it run out. The new one takes two AA batteries, and they don't seem to last very long (hopefully just the battery quality). Anyway that is something to think about :)

Had that battery problem with my new digital at first. then went to walmart and asked about longer lasting or higher quality batteries for digital cameras. They have em, mine takes 4 AA batteries, and they are rechargable. 4 batteries and the charger cost me about $20 but now I can go almost a month without charging them. Before the batteries were only lasting a week or so.

Cold weather messes with a digital and the batteries, or at least mine that used to work.

Mine uses 4 rechargables too, so I usually have four backups charged and on hand for those cold days. I would think that a camera using two batteries would be harder on them. Zooming and such uses a lot of power.

Mine has a power save option, turns itself off after two minutes of inactivity, sometimes it comes in real handy cuz i'll lay it down in the seat of the truck and forget to turn it off. Other times it's aggrivatin if I'm waitin on a shot...then get ready.....daggum thangs turned itself off!!!
I've not noticed the cold bothering my batteries.....but then again I am in south east texas lol

Jersy yeah...I was gonna say....Cold and South-East Texas used in the same sentence is sorta oxymoronic.

Now up north the cold affects batteries...but up there it can get colder than a witches tit in a brass bra......so its understandable!!! :lol:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
What's really funny is......to make regular batteries stay fresh....we keep em in the refridgerator

I think the camera gets cold and it takes more power to warm it up or something, hell I don't know, just trying to sound like I do. :oops: I can have a full charge and if I use it outside when it is cold I only get less than half use.

I am looking at an Olympus 800, 8 mega Pixel, water proof and weather Proof. The screen isn't LCD, something new that you can see better when taking pictures outside. I travel enough to take some neat pictures, but my favorite are still the ones at home,

Pat

do a search on google. Most of the time I've found the first search on the list, when it comes to cameras, will give you the lowest price. Just type in the Camera make and model , can't hurt to try.

I've found two very frustrating features on my 2 yr. old Sony - the "shutter" speed is terribly slow (even when pre-focused) and the automatic shut-off .

Both of these don't work well when taking candid or action shots. I use mine mainly for taking cattle and horse (marketing) pictures. Animals don't (or won't hold a) "pose" for you to take your shot. And just when I think I'm lucky to get a candid shot the camera has turned off and by the time it's ready the moment has passed.

Basically what I'm hinting at is if you're purchasing a new digital - line up your choices and compare their actual response time when pushing the shutter button or turning the camera on. Even with the new models the time variance is notable.

On the digital plus side; the pictures print as well as my SRL and it has saved me a considerable amount of $'s on developing. I'm still farther ahead even with the purchase of two extra rechargable batteries and 128 mg cards. I still use my SRL camera for photo shooting where timing isn't so critical or for it's zoom capabilites.

When I find a suitable replacement (and hopefully get a cheque in my Christmas card from hubby) I'll be selling this one.

I have 2 Canon A-1's - - - One works - - - I also have many attchments for them - - I love to play with the Bellows - I can shoot the inside of a flower with it.

It cost big bucks to use.

My Digital Xmas presant form Dad

Panasonic iPalm PV-DC-3000, 2X zoom, 3.3 mega pixel with Multi Media Card
It came with a 36MB Card
I've added (2) 128 MB Cards
I have shout 100's of pictures at one time and have never run out of space.

I find the "shutter speed" very slow - At horse shows I take a picture and it takes 3 or 4 seconds to snap it.

We like our Canon for a couple reasons. It takes good pictures and videos which is fun around the grandkids and wildlife. It amazes us how good the sound quality is, too.
It would be better if it had a wide angle lens and more of a zoom (it has 3X)
Have two power packs and two flashcards which has been plenty.

Don't know how it would react in your really cold temps.

Canon PowerShot S 410
Digital ELPH; 4.0 MEGA pixels
Camera size 3 3/8" x 2 1/8" x 1"

When I'm working this is the camera I use.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/
Canon EOS Digital rebel
6.3 mega pixles

I shoot in raw format so I get less images per 128mg memory card. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket either. So I have a dozen or so 128 cards and a couple 256 cards. But nothing bigger than the 256. Scares me to think how many pics you could loose if a 1g card went bad.

Whn I upgrade it will be to this one. But maybe they will have something better by then. Cause the price of these cameras is killing me. Don't figure I'll upgrade too soon.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/
Canon EOS 350D
8 mega pixles

I have several lenses of different focal lengths from 55mm to 500 mm.
I hate the digital quality pictures. Even with these cameras.
When I have an important shot and don't want eguipment error...I pull out the Canon EOS 35mm. Old reliable. I like to try to out do the quality of the 35mm pics with the digital...but have rarely pulled it off.

Old fashioned I reckon.

I have a Canon AE-1 35 mm...I've hated that thing since mr lilly bought it for me Christmas 1984. Thing cost over 500.00 back then. Will all the zoom lenses, filters, bells n whistles.
I've had numerous cameras over the years, 35 mm's and never have I got the picture quality from a regular camera that I've gotten from my digitals.
Also for those of you that might be interested, some photo developers have it to where you can now email them your digital pictures and they will print them relatively cheap. So you have good quality prints, better than any printer I've found will do it. I"m not naming any names of companies, leave it up to ya'll to decide which one's you want to use.

Also about the memory cards for these digital cameras, the less they are handled (taken in and out of cameras) the longer they will last. I have the 16mb card that came with my camera, I've taken it out and put it in it's lil case to save for hard times. bought a 128 card and have used it ever since buyin the camera. I download my pictures from my camera every day (if i've taken any) Then delete them from the card. I've not taken this card out once since buyin it and puttin it in. (prolly crap out on me tomorrow since I bragged on it) If you are taking pictures and leaving them on the memory cards for fear of loosin them, you might want to concider also putting them on disk. Make one disk to keep in a safe place and the other if you want to view the pictures. The sticks will either become out dated like everthing else, or possibly go bad just sitting, I've had that happen to one card from a previous digital camera. in it's little case, with pictures on it, now I can't veiw them, gone forever.

I;m not sure but, I'd guess that the cards are affected by the change in temperatures just like the batteries and the cameras themselves.

Rarely are my pictures ever on the CF card for more than a few hours. When I'm doing a show, they get dumped on the laptop for the customers to view before they leave. Before anything is done to them...they are put on a disc. I have most every picture that is taken on a disc right away, on the laptop, and on the desktop. Once 30 days hits...they are only on a disc.

I have a multicard reader that plugs into the laptop. Really handy.

I also use a jump drive to transfer pictures from the laptop to the desktop. Makes like pretty easy. No networking the puters together or e-mailing 100's of pictures from one to the other and losing quality.

In regard to your digital camera battery life, you need to use Lithium batteries. They are suppose to last up to 7 times longer. I got some at Wal Mart. They cost more, but I haven't changed batteries since I put them in.

efb

I find the "shutter speed" very slow - At horse shows I take a picture and it takes 3 or 4 seconds to snap
Are you sure thats not your write speed?
If I dont have my pro cards in I can tell a difference in "shutter" time

Maybe I am weird or snap happy LOL but I have 2~ 1GB 2~512 4~256
All but one of the 256 is the prospeed. They were worth the extra money which is not that much more.
here is a site to check the cards and their performace.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
Cant comment on the batteries ~~cant use the energizer. I do have 2 and I have found I change them when I change a 1 GB card.

Latest posts