• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Camp Crook, SD coyote calling contest Jan. 14 & 15

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle said:
hunting lockout is a hunting lockout, whether it is gophers or elk.
Sorry old fella, but it's OUR land and we set the rules, not you, not Big Muddy from Canada, and not the GF&P. WE DO!!!

If we say no hunting of game animals, but you can shoot all the varmints you want as long as you have our permission, that's the way it's gonna be. You don't like it? Tough. Learn to live with it and mind your own darn business. :twisted:

AMEN- Liberty Belle :clap: -- And thats what so many of these out of staters, newcomers, and non landowners don't understand.... They feel that since we house and we feed the States wildlife year around, that that should give the State a right to let anyone go wherever they want.. Most forget that just because its an open area, its still private property....

Even as an exlaw enforcement officer I'm so glad that Montana has a more restrictive privacy act and that several years ago our Supreme Court ruled against the Open fields rule-( because of Fish and Game misuse)...It lost law enforcement a tool against some major crimes such as drug manufacturing-but in most local cases it had no effect as local law enforcement already had a working relationship with the landowners- and it made the Fish and Game much more responsive to the land owners...

Wow.....I really think you should change your lockout signs to say "Lockout to big game hunting" I could care less if you allow predator hunting or not but i do know there are people out there that would be happy to help out with your or anyones predator problem but thinks the way i do that the lockout is for all hunting. Why go to the trouble of asking permission to hunt predators when the signs say otherwise. I do realize its your land LB....You pay tax, you keep the fence up, you make the payments and i have no right on your land without permission. I have always agreed to that. NO where anywhere have i EVER said i feel i have the right to be on your property. Like i said earlier, I have never knowingly trespassed and i do respect landowner rights, heck, i am a landowner but hypocrisy is just that and i really think your cause will never recieve any respect without you going all out and not picking and choosing. There are people out there, not me, but people out there that want to hunt coyote, with permission, but they think they cant get the permission because of lockout so they go and ask where there is not a lockout and if they are told no, that fine, they will go ask elsewhere. They have to ask to be told no and the ones i know wont ask on lockout land because they feel its a waste of time and who wants to be looked at like a moron. I know if i was in the lockout and someone asked me to hunt, i would say," cant you read you flippinn moron? This is a lockout!"

Maybe you should put a sign next to the lockout sign that says

"However....we pick and choose what we want to lockout because we own this joint so this is not a real lockout...only a selective lockout .we still may give you permission or we will make you feel like a real dumb ass for even asking....So, do you feel like a dumb ass? ask permission and we will tell you if you are or we will give you permission"

They have to ask to be told no and the ones i know wont ask on lockout land because they feel its a waste of time and who wants to be looked at like a moron. I know if i was in the lockout and someone asked me to hunt, i would say," cant you read you flippinn moron? This is a lockout!"
So don't bother asking. Get it through your head that we don't need you or any other "hunters" to control our coyotes.

Maybe you should put a sign next to the lockout sign that says

"However....we pick and choose what we want to lockout because we own this joint so this is not a real lockout...only a selective lockout .we still may give you permission or we will make you feel like a real dumb ass for even asking....So, do you feel like a dumb ass? ask permission and we will tell you if you are or we will give you permission"

I could give you my opinion of what you are without you even bothering to ask, but I don't think you want to hear it.

We've yet to turn down anyone wanting to kill varmints on our place, including a couple guys from GF&P who asked nicely, but I think in your case, I'd make an exception.

Southdakotahunter said:
Funny thing tho LB......who says i havnt hunted your place before with your permission......maybe you know me and dont even know it!
You are looking silly South dakota hunter. No wonder they won't let you guys hunt. ....It's her land If she wants to lock it to all but red headed girls with a bowie knife it's her land . She can do what she wants...Get you own.

Here's an article from the Rapid City Journal that may be helpful to some of you. I recommend using a gun instead of a camera though!

Don't forget about the contest in Camp Crook this weekend and I understand that there will be a coyote calling contest in Meadow, SD next weekend to benefit the fire department.

Tips on finding the 'prairie wolf'

The coyote is one of the most common and recognizable creatures in western South Dakota. It is also one of the most controversial.
Hated by sheep ranchers but revered by many conservationists, the animal that was dubbed the "prairie wolf" by Capt. Meriwether Lewis 200 years ago has proved to be a persistent survivor in a land that demands persistence.

Hunting coyotes for sport is a demanding experience, whether the hunter uses a gun, bincoculars or camera. Here are some tips that might help the beginner.

* Coyote hunting doesn't have to involve a gun. Just observing coyotes and their behavior is a worthwhile and educational adventure. Try the open grasslands of Wind Cave National Park or Custer State Park, or simply drive the gravel roads of western South Dakota with a camera, binoculars and spotting scope.

* January and February are good months for coyote hunting. When it gets cold, very cold, coyotes need more fuel to function, and are more likely to be active and come to a call.

* Try calling just before or after a storm. Coyotes are like people, they hole up when the weather is bad but may need a meal before or after the storm hits.

* Predator calls also can be useful for coyote watching or photography. Just remember that if the call is a good one, the coyote might come in at a dead run - which can be a surprising encounter for both the "hunter" and the coyote.

* For help with calling, look for instructional video tapes or read a book - including "Blair's Predator Calling." The book is available through Krause Publications, 1-715-445-2214. Also, look for a copy of "Coyotes, Predators & Survivors," by Charley Cadieux. Cadieux is a retired federal trapper who traveled the Dakotas as a part of his territory. The book was originally published by Stone Wall Press in Washington, D.C.

* Early and late in the day is the best time to look for coyotes, but they can be active at any time - especially following a storm. Watch for them lying un the sunny side of hillsides or even road ditches.
January 12, 2006
http://rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2006/01/12/news/outdoors/335outdoors.txt

Latest posts