• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can anyone tell me the answer to this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
Yesterday while cutting hay, I got to wondering what does Canada do with all the meat that comes from cull cows and bulls? Does it all stay in Canada and consumed here?

We have consumed our older cows here. Many have not gone to the market, however, and are staying at home raising another calf. Now that New Zealand is accepting all of our meat and the USA border is open to under 30 month cattle, our cow prices have gone from 10-20 cents per pound to 40-45 cents per pound.

If there are any other countries open to over 30 month beef, I am not aware of them at this time.

We are busy cutting hay as well. Our hay is not very good, even though we had substantial rain this summer, it just came too late. Combined with the late frost we had this spring, and years of drought and huge swarms of grasshoppers for the last 4 years (not this year, thank God) - our hay crops have been severely damaged. We need to reseed alot of fields.

We are taking life one day at a time. Have a good one.

"We are busy cutting hay as well. Our hay is not very good, even though we had substantial rain this summer, it just came too late. Combined with the late frost we had this spring, and years of drought and huge swarms of grasshoppers for the last 4 years (not this year, thank God) - our hay crops have been severely damaged. We need to reseed alot of fields."

Kathy: I am sure that things will get better. You may take this oppertunity to improve your hay fields by seeding with improved grasses.

Kathy said:
We have consumed our older cows here. Many have not gone to the market, however, and are staying at home raising another calf. Now that New Zealand is accepting all of our meat and the USA border is open to under 30 month cattle, our cow prices have gone from 10-20 cents per pound to 40-45 cents per pound.

If there are any other countries open to over 30 month beef, I am not aware of them at this time.

We are busy cutting hay as well. Our hay is not very good, even though we had substantial rain this summer, it just came too late. Combined with the late frost we had this spring, and years of drought and huge swarms of grasshoppers for the last 4 years (not this year, thank God) - our hay crops have been severely damaged. We need to reseed alot of fields.

Well, I was thinking about the price increase, too. Many of these cows kept back might go for slaughter now, so then what do we do with all this meat? I know ourselves, we probably have at least a dozen old cows that should go.

Wanna buy some hay? We have way too much! Are you going to have enough for your winter feed supply?

We are taking life one day at a time. Have a good one.

I was looking into it, but with the tech fee doubling the price, it would put me at approx. $240 and acre to plant it.
I can spray pursuit and still beat that price.

Latest posts