• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canada exceeds BSE testing by 800%

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pharmer

Reaction score
Canada does 'due diligence' in coming to grips with the BSE problem facing the North American cattle industry.

Canada Increases BSE Surveillance by Almost 800%

May 2, 2005 - The Canadian Cattlemen's Association (CCA) today commended Canada's beef cattle producers and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) for increasing BSE surveillance by almost 800 percent in each of the first four months of 2005 compared to the same period in 2004.

"Canada's cattle producers recognize that to rebuild our industry we must take all the steps necessary to maintain our minimal risk status," says Stan Eby, CCA President. "This includes testing for BSE surveillance purposes at levels recommended by the OIE. Our target this year is 30,000 tests of high risk animals. This level of surveillance is statistically valid to indicate BSE prevalence per million head of cattle. With the first four months of testing now completed, Canada is on target to surpass our surveillance target for 2005 by at least 100 percent."

In 2004, Canada tested 386 animals in January, 550 animals in February, 797 animals in March and 877 animals in April. A huge increase has taken place in 2005 with 5,194 animals tested in January, 4,990 tested in February, 5,591 tested in March and 5,572 tested in April according to records posted on the CFIA website www.inspection.gc.ca.

"Our largest month for surveillance ever was achieved in December, 2004 when 7,088 animals were tested," points out Eby. "This is traditionally a month when cattle producers are making their decisions regarding which older animals are retained for breeding and which will be removed from the herd.

"Canada's cattle producers are to be congratulated for their participation in the surveillance program. It's dedication such as this that has helped keep demand for Canadian beef strong by reassuring our customers of our commitment to food safety."

That commitment has also been recognized by the United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, which on April 29 released its technical team report on Canada's BSE cases. "Our technical team has completed its review and found that Canada's epidemiological efforts were not only appropriate but exceeded levels recommended by an international team of BSE experts," said John Clifford, APHIS deputy administrator for veterinary services." Canada's animal identification program allowed for a successful, comprehensive epidemiological investigation."

For further information:
Kelsey Chomistek, Canadian Cattlemen's Association 403-275-8558

www.cattle.ca

Paints just a bit different picture than the one R-CALF would like everyone to look at doesn't it.

"Our technical team has completed its review and found that Canada's epidemiological efforts were not only appropriate but exceeded levels recommended by an international team of BSE experts,"said John Clifford, APHIS deputy administrator for veterinary services
Way to go Canada

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Hello, ot?

Hello Maple Leaf-- Do you have the figures for Alberta? Since this is the center of the outbreak, I'm sure this is where they are all being tested- EH?

Doesn't do any good to test 10,000 in Ontario if you only test 100 from Alberta where all the disease has been found........

Oldtimer said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
Hello, ot?

Hello Maple Leaf-- Do you have the figures for Alberta? Since this is the center of the outbreak, I'm sure this is where they are all being tested- EH?

Doesn't do any good to test 10,000 in Ontario if you only test 100 from Alberta where all the disease has been found........

Heres a segment from an Edmonton newspaper article suggesting that maybe ALL of Canada hasn't supported the testing program:

Case Study 3: Back in his last report, Fred Dunn slammed the agriculture department (McClellan was minister back then) for its lack of action "to ensure that Alberta meets its contribution to Canada's BSE testing quota."

Last week, the pesky Montana-based lobby group R-CALF- which is doing its best to keep the U.S. border closed to live Alberta cattle over BSE - released a study on the exact topic Dunn was talking about.

"The number of Canadian cattle being tested for BSE per month has substantially decreased, making it impossible to monitor the effectiveness of Canada's BSE risk-mitigation measures," claimed R-CALF, obviously stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming court challenge of the United States Department of Agriculture's border-opening order.

Are you sure it's a yellow flag you're waving, Ralph? Not a white flag?

Oldtimer said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
Hello, ot?

not even close Oldtimer ...........
PS: Lieapplies to an untrueful statement deliberately made with the purpose of deceiving. (as taken from dictionary)

2005 Surveillance

Number of Samples Tested for BSE in ALBERTA in 2005
WEEK: April 17 - April 23: 902
Cumulative Total for 2005 : 11,940
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/cpv9336

Number of Samples Tested for BSE in CANADA in 2005
Year to date : 21347
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/disemala/bseesb/surv/surve.shtml
[/i]

S.S.A.P. said:
PS: Lieapplies to an untrueful statement deliberately made with the purpose of deceiving. (as taken from dictionary)

SSAP- Are you saying then that Fred Dunn lied when he slammed the Canadian Agriculture Department for its lack of action to ensure that Alberta meet its contribution to BSE's testing quota?

Seems to me that Canada, with 4 origin cases, should be required to have a much higher rate of testing than the US who has none-- and it seems like the largest majority of those tested should come from Alberta since all the cases came from there and that is where they isolated the epidemic to stem from..........But since that is just common sense it will probably not occur :roll:

Does anyone see where I made ANY reference at all to Dunn's report in the following (the previous post I made to Oldtimer) ?????

S.S.A.P. said:
Oldtimer said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
Hello, ot?

2005 Surveillance

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/disemala/bseesb/surv/surve.shtml
[/i]

Short of drawing you a picture Oldtimer, my precious statement as follows:
PS: Lie applies to an untrueful statement deliberately made with the purpose of deceiving. (as taken from dictionary)

was in reference to your statement

See thats the thing OT ... you refuse to acknowledge the following
In 2004 Alberta submitted 423% (percent OT, not 423 head) more samples than the surveillance quota called for. (Alberta quota=2780 - tested 11,747)

As of April 25, 2005 Alberta has ALREADY EXCEEDED the TOTAL 2005 provincial call QUOTA by 1515 TESTS (quota=10,425 - tested 11,940)

NATIONALLY - Canadian cattle producers exceeded the 2004 test quota by 294 percent - 8000 x 294% = 23,520 (sorry Canada, 30 short on the total number but didn't want Oldtimer to have a seizure by using 295%)[/b]

S.S.A.P. said:
Does anyone see where I made ANY reference at all to Dunn's report in the following (the previous post I made to Oldtimer) ?????

S.S.A.P. said:
Oldtimer said:

2005 Surveillance

[/i]

Short of drawing you a picture Oldtimer, my precious statement as follows:
PS: Lie applies to an untrueful statement deliberately made with the purpose of deceiving. (as taken from dictionary)

was in reference to your statement

See thats the thing OT ... you refuse to acknowledge the following
In 2004 Alberta submitted 423% (percent OT, not 423 head) more samples than the surveillance quota called for. (Alberta quota=2780 - tested 11,747)

As of April 25, 2005 Alberta has ALREADY EXCEEDED the TOTAL 2005 provincial call QUOTA by 1515 TESTS (quota=10,425 - tested 11,940)

NATIONALLY - Canadian cattle producers exceeded the 2004 test quota by 294 percent - 8000 x 294% = 23,520 (sorry Canada, 30 short on the total number but didn't want Oldtimer to have a seizure by using 295%)[/b]

So why is Dunn saying that Alberta was lax in its testing?

Maybe he is like R-CALF and hasn't bothered to look at the actual numbers

The number of Canadian cattle being tested for BSE per month has substantially decreased, making it impossible to monitor the effectiveness of Canada's BSE risk-mitigation measures," claimed R-CALF, obviously stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming court challenge of the United States Department of Agriculture's border-opening order.

Oldtimer you better start another stockpile that one blew up in your face. Quoting testing numbers is just not a strong suit in the R-CALF camp. :lol: :lol:

old timer why dont you ask dunn , he is the only one who can tell you for sure why he said it? duh

Tam said:
Maybe he is like R-CALF and hasn't bothered to look at the actual numbers

The number of Canadian cattle being tested for BSE per month has substantially decreased, making it impossible to monitor the effectiveness of Canada's BSE risk-mitigation measures," claimed R-CALF, obviously stockpiling ammunition for the upcoming court challenge of the United States Department of Agriculture's border-opening order.

Oldtimer you better start another stockpile that one blew up in your face. Quoting testing numbers is just not a strong suit in the R-CALF camp. :lol: :lol:

Doesn't sound like many from an epidemic area when all other BSE countries- UK, Europe, and Japan tested all until they found the extent of the disease...Still would like to see all beef produced in BSE areas be required to be labeled and the consumer given the choice--Its happening thruout the world, except with the US consumer.....

NOW I will reference Dunn's report as referenced by Oldtimer.

Oldtimer seemed concerned and posted
Heres a segment from an Edmonton newspaper article suggesting that maybe ALL of Canada hasn't supported the testing program:
Case Study 3: Back in his last report, Fred Dunn slammed the agriculture department (McClellan was minister back then) for its lack of action "to ensure that Alberta meets its contribution to Canada's BSE testing quota."

This is the link to Alberta Auditor General Fred Dunn's media story..... in which I could not find the statment which OT posted BTW.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1091665679425_32?hub=TopStories

Back to OT's post
.....lack of action "to ensure that Alberta meets its contribution to Canada's BSE testing quota."

Please reference my above post stating test numbers achieved for 2004 - I'd say Alberta met it's contribution to Canada's BSE testing quota !!! (Dunn's warning was heeded)
In fact, Alberta far surpassed his (actually international -OIE set BSE testing quotas) recommendations. As did Canada as a whole! :D

In response to Oldtimers post of
Seems to me that Canada, with 4 origin cases, should be required to have a much higher rate of testing than the US who has none-- and it seems like the largest majority of those tested should come from Alberta since all the cases came from there and that is where they isolated the epidemic to stem from..........But since that is just common sense it will probably not occur

In 2004 Alberta's share of the testing was 50% (11747 of 23550)
In 2005, to date, they currently have submitted 56% (11940 of 21345)
From R-calf's past history, I would think that if Alberta were to submit a majority
(which is what % OT seeing as you called for it?)
- would R-calf rally with a "what about the rest of Canada - there are cattle in other provinces, not just Alberta ??
R-calf's 'twist, spin and dance' would likely read something like this:
Canada concentrates ?% of testing in Alberta - large numbers remain untested in balance of Canadian Herd.
If I had 2 pennies to rub together, I'd bet on that scenerio right now.

epidemic ... what epidemic????
4 cases in 23 mths does not constitute an epidemic as per dictionary definition
noun -- a rapid spreading of a disease so that many (people) have it at the same time
adjective -- affecting many (people) at the same time; widespread.

OT - using your word 'epidemic' in the loosest sense - is it widespread or isolated to alberta where you think the largest majority of testing should be done? largest majority ??? is that the opposite of smallest majority :???:

S.S.A.P. said:
Sandhusker said:
They tested more and they also found more.

Will the United States???

The US should test more especially if ever a positive origin case is found.....Something that R-CALF has called for from day one to maintain confidence in our beef- for both countries......

S.S.A.P. said:
NOW I will reference Dunn's report as referenced by Oldtimer.

Oldtimer seemed concerned and posted

This is the link to Alberta Auditor General Fred Dunn's media story..... in which I could not find the statment which OT posted BTW.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1091665679425_32?hub=TopStories

Back to OT's post
.....lack of action "to ensure that Alberta meets its contribution to Canada's BSE testing quota."

Please reference my above post stating test numbers achieved for 2004 - I'd say Alberta met it's contribution to Canada's BSE testing quota !!! (Dunn's warning was heeded)
In fact, Alberta far surpassed his (actually international -OIE set BSE testing quotas) recommendations. As did Canada as a whole! :D

In response to Oldtimers post of
Seems to me that Canada, with 4 origin cases, should be required to have a much higher rate of testing than the US who has none-- and it seems like the largest majority of those tested should come from Alberta since all the cases came from there and that is where they isolated the epidemic to stem from..........But since that is just common sense it will probably not occur

In 2004 Alberta's share of the testing was 50% (11747 of 23550)
In 2005, to date, they currently have submitted 56% (11940 of 21345)
From R-calf's past history, I would think that if Alberta were to submit a majority
(which is what % OT seeing as you called for it?)
- would R-calf rally with a "what about the rest of Canada - there are cattle in other provinces, not just Alberta ??
R-calf's 'twist, spin and dance' would likely read something like this:
Canada concentrates ?% of testing in Alberta - large numbers remain untested in balance of Canadian Herd.
If I had 2 pennies to rub together, I'd bet on that scenerio right now.

epidemic ... what epidemic????
4 cases in 23 mths does not constitute an epidemic as per dictionary definition
noun -- a rapid spreading of a disease so that many (people) have it at the same time
adjective -- affecting many (people) at the same time; widespread.

OT - using your word 'epidemic' in the loosest sense - is it widespread or isolated to alberta where you think the largest majority of testing should be done? largest majority ??? is that the opposite of smallest majority :???:

Historically for years with cattle disease the plan has been to isolate, test to find the extent and the source, innoculate and eradicate......As the disease is controlled or found the quarantine area is lessened or widened- with the heaviest testing in the high incidence area....Wasn't too many years ago with brucellosis EVERY cow was tested- until it has been pretty much eradicated....I would think that even Canadians would want every cow, especially in Alberta, tested- until its proven the disease is eradicated-or live with a cloud and a question hanging over their cattle and beef for years.....

But now with the science of the new World Trade Order they say to test a statistical percentage- which is also a question that needs to be answered by the courts.......

Oldtimer wrote:

He "isn't" saying it ... now. That post you made about what Dunn said was from a media release (August 2004) which was 'part and partial' from a 119 page report released at an earlier date. A report, no doubt, he initiated (started) at even a much earlier time. No, I can't give a date as the pdf file of it would have taken over 2 hours to download.

Taken in context of a warning call for action .... seems similar to a post you made the other day OT. You posted (radio?) advs by the USDA calling for on farm sample submissions for BSE testing - which I believe you said you had not heard before.
As a United States producer you (and fellow producers) also have the opportunity to exceed your test quota by 294% ..... like Canada, will you seize that opportunity ? 8)

S.S.A.P. said:
Oldtimer wrote:

He "isn't" saying it ... now. That post you made about what Dunn said was from a media release (August 2004) which was 'part and partial' from a 119 page report released at an earlier date. A report, no doubt, he initiated (started) at even a much earlier time. No, I can't give a date as the pdf file of it would have taken over 2 hours to download.

Taken in context of a warning call for action .... seems similar to a post you made the other day OT. You posted (radio?) advs by the USDA calling for on farm sample submissions for BSE testing - which I believe you said you had not heard before.
As a United States producer you (and fellow producers) also have the opportunity to exceed your test quota by 294% ..... like Canada, will you seize that opportunity ? 8)

Heres the entire article: editorial dated May 1, 2005
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Business/2005/05/01/1020759-sun.html

Oldtimer said:
S.S.A.P. said:
Oldtimer wrote:

Heres the entire article: editorial dated May 1, 2005

RE:Heres the entire article: editorial dated May 1, 2005
...... Looks to me like the parties are "jousting" for position and like a few others are referencing archived data without a thorough follow-up to what has changed in the meantime.

Keyword being "last report" - this "last report" is here (Auditor General web site)
http://www.oag.ab.ca/
Titled: # Report of the Auditor General on the Alberta government's BSE-related assistance programs - July 27, 2004 (Adobe Acrobat)
NOTE: July 27, 2004 ... which I stated earlier would have been initiated at an even earlier date - July 27, 2004 being the date he released his auditors report.

Old and outdated ( :roll: up to date and on the spot reporting by NEIL WAUGH, EDMONTON SUN :mad: ) - where have we seen that before!

Here's Dunn's warning message summarized when his report was released
(which could have been outdated even at that time that his report was completed and released to the public )
1. as Canada had 5003 of 8000 already tested as of July 31, 2004
2. as Alberta had (approx.) 1,000 animals of 2780 tested as of August 27, 2004

Latest posts