• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canada Proposes Cattle Bailout

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Too bad these folks don't look at Rkaisers groups proposals and some longterm goals- testing ALL for access to foreign markets- and actually looking for some foreign markets rather than the old fogies at ABP/CCA/SSGA status quo stance of riding on the US producers shirttails... :shock: :( :mad:

Liberals' task force urges short-term livestock aid

FBC staff 2/19/2008

Grainews - Canada

The federal Liberals have jumped the gun on the release of the report from their task force on agriculture to roll out its recommendations for "immediate" short-term aid for livestock producers.

The party, whose task force report was "scheduled to be released in the near future, announced the recommendations Monday.

The task force, co-chaired by Opposition ag critic Wayne Easter and a Quebec candidate, Cindy Duncan McMillan, recommended immediate cash aid to producers by way of:

· special 2007 CAIS advance payments of up to $100 per cow and $150 for feeder cattle;

· immediate short-term loans for hog producers to improve cash flow as markets adjust; and

· 2006 CAIS payments and 2007 CAIS targeted and interim advance payments to be put "on an immediate priority basis" for all hog and beef producers.

Among the task force's other recommendations to help livestock producers were:

· to work with all parties on ways to improve the livestock Advance Payment Program and its accessibility for hog and beef producers, by amending the security requirements, unlinking CAIS payment offsets with advances given, and extending time restrictions on advances;

· for all hog and beef producers to be given the option of having the top 15 per cent of CAIS or the new AgriInvest program for at least 2007 and 2008, and to maintain the $600 million AgriInvest kick-start already announced;

· deferral, not only of interest payments but also of clawbacks related to CAIS overpayments to hog and beef producers, until December; and

· that a working group be set up immediately to develop a livestock production insurance program to provide hog producers equivalent coverage given to crop producers, and to help them address margin declines due to disease outbreak.

"Canadian farm families run the most efficient livestock operations in the world and they still can't make ends meet," Easter said in a party press release Monday.

"These producers face enormous expenses, a rising dollar and falling prices for their products -- factors they have no control over. That's why the government should have stepped in months ago and has to step in now."

The party said its task force's recommendations follow "extensive consultations" on issues facing farm families, with "dozens" of major farm organizations and "dozens more" individual farmers.

grainews.ca

OT,you do remember that the CAIS program is a paid into program by people who choose to join it and pay into it...right??And its provin to be nothing but a money maker for the government.

Hell OT you can find these news stories faster than we can up here..... however this wont happen as we have a Conservative govt NOT A LIBERAL govt. And if you did some looking you would find that CAIS doesnt work very well, and is no longer even a program offered.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Hell OT you can find these news stories faster than we can up here..... however this wont happen as we have a Conservative govt NOT A LIBERAL govt. And if you did some looking you would find that CAIS doesnt work very well, and is no longer even a program offered.

Have the Conservatives got any long term plans in mind- or are they going to just keep beating the same drum ABP/CCA/SSGA have been doing for the last 5 years that have done you so well :roll: :???:

The World economists claim there will be a world shortage of beef and grains- with the lower valued dollar and new higher incomes of countries like India, China, Asia, allowing these folks to develop a taste for such- which could be new markets galore....But most these markets will hesitate taking beef from Canada without testing...

Yeah im not sure where the govt si leading us. With the high grain prices right now its sure killing the cattle feeding biz. Its a bugger to think theres people in this world starving and we cant get $200 for an older cow.

special 2007 CAIS advance payments of up to $100 per cow and $150 for feeder cattle;

Not the words advance payments. This means that they will front you the money assuming you will qualify for a payment later, at which time the advance will be deducted from the payment you would have received then. This program is absolutely famous for not being predictable. I know people who have been told they were eligible for a certain amount of money, by the people at CAIS, and then when the letter arrived in the mail there was nothing. Not one cent. I also know people who have taken advances on CAIS money, only to be told "Oooppss! Our mistake, you are not eligible, now give it back". Never mind that the money is gone and you can't get it back or afford to repay the advance. In this case, every cent you may be eligible in any form of government program is clawed back until it is paid off. Sometimes this takes years to do. It is a margin based program, and as the bad years pile up, the margins drop until you are basically not eligible for a thing. This is the case for most cattle and hog producers right now.

· immediate short-term loans for hog producers to improve cash flow as markets adjust; and

Oh boy! More debt! Wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

· 2006 CAIS payments and 2007 CAIS targeted and interim advance payments to be put "on an immediate priority basis" for all hog and beef producers.

I'm so impressed that they are going to put the 2006 payments on a priority basis. :roll: :roll: :roll: 2006 was two years ago! There is no reason for any 2006 anythings to be still outstanding.

As for this...

Too bad these folks don't look at Rkaisers groups proposals and some longterm goals- testing ALL for access to foreign markets- and actually looking for some foreign markets rather than the old fogies at ABP/CCA/SSGA status quo stance of riding on the US producers shirttails...

That's what you say now, but really and honestly, how happy will the American government and packers, and nice people down at R-Calf for that matter, be if it looked like a Canadian initiative to take foreign markets away from Americans was going to work??? Will you guys be any happier to see us push you out of foreign markets, (who incidently are paying with a higher valued currency agains the U.S. dollar, which really makes them even more valuable), than you are with the situation today??

I doubt that very much. :roll: :roll:

I do not qualify for this payment - not a CAIS participant.

Horrible program that provides to few and takes from many.

Either are any of the 15 or so people within my immediate area who work with me on our marketing system.

So, I wonder how many others do not belong to the Chartered Accountant Income Supplement fund?

Off the top of my head I cannot think of one producer - in any livestock commodity that needs yet more debt added through an interest free loan.

Only fools or independently wealthy latch onto them.

Priority payments actually mean some folks will have to wait up to three years for their money.

So OT - this is why I want the border shut - tight - north and south.

I figure we can sell our beef without your help. I also figure you folks can import that high quality beef from down south america way to eat - and you can export your own.

After all - if you do not import - you do not have the "home grown" volume to support your export business AND feed your own citizens. (someday you might actually address this issue - every time I mention it you ignore it)

Cannot have it both ways - you MUST import foreign beef to export. Without it those exports will go to other outfits - like those in Canada.

So, thanks for letting me know the opposition party - the party that will not be able to do anything anyways - is pressuring the party in power to help. Those barstards are worse than the most left leaning politician in your own government that you might know - and they will certainly reneg if they come to power.

In fact, I would rather have a sister working in a whore house than a brother working for the liberal party of Canada.

At least she would be doing something that was worth while.

Have a good one,

BC

I just don't understand what the heck everybody is complaining about. Don't you know that Canadian cattle producers have been fully compensated for their losses due to BSE? That's what the Canadian government says, and surely they wouldn't lie about a thing like that?

"On the basis of this research, it is fair to say that the cattle industry in Canada was fully compensated by federal and provincial assistance programs for the losses incurred as a result of confirmation of BSE in the Canadian herd and the border actions taken by other countries."

http://www.bseclassaction.ca/pdfs/BSE%20in%20Canada%20-%20Losses%20and%20Government%20Compensation%20-%20Klein%2012.Feb.08.pdf

No joke Kato. The Feds claim that between the assorted government assistance programs, like the BSE Recovery Program, and CAIS (which the report claims put $2B in the pockets of Canadian cattle producers) all of the losses caused by BSE in Canada have been made good. And then some.

So now that the secret is out, I guess they expect everyone to stop whining about any hardship created by BSE. Our caring friends in Ottawa heard the cries for help and responded in full, don't you know.

Note that this report is brought to you by the Reform-minded folks who run the current Canadian government. Never mind that before Gerry Ritz became Minister of Agriculture, and while he was in opposition, he described CAIS as "a shiny new red truck, but when you lift the hood there is no engine and when you look down it is up on blocks."

Apparently the Honourable Mr. Ritz has changed his mind.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Yeah im not sure where the govt si leading us. With the high grain prices right now its sure killing the cattle feeding biz. Its a bugger to think theres people in this world starving and we cant get $200 for an older cow.
Just for the record I sold some open cull cows in Gladstone last week avg. $600.00. Least its starting to head the right way :roll:

Latest posts