• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canada's New Currency Melts in the Heat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Canada's New Currency Melts in the Heat

By Vickie Frantz, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer
Jul 15, 2012; 3:58 PM

Canada's new $100 bill and new $50 bill shrink when exposed to hot temperatures.
The Bank of Canada introduced their new $100 bill in November of 2011 and their new $50 bill was introduced early in 2012, according to the Toronto Star.

The new bills are made of polymer and are said to last 2.5 times longer than the traditional paper money.

The new bills were rigorously tested by the Bank of Canada for their ability to withstand temperatures of 140 to negative 75 degrees Celcius (284 to negative 103 degrees F).

Reports of the currency shrinking when left near a heat source have been coming in from numerous sources in Canada.

The Toronto Star confirmed a report of a man in Halifax who had three $100 bills that were exposed to heat when he laid his wallet on a toaster oven he had just used. He noticed, when removing the money from his wallet at a later time, the bills were in a "Coke bottle" shape.

Some bills that were left in vehicles have melted and become stuck together.

There has been no explanation from The Bank of Canada about cause of the "melting" bills.

The Bank of Canada has replaced some of the money that was damaged by the heat.

I wondered about this when I first saw these new bills a couple of weeks ago... Canada can truly say its money is shrinking.. :wink: :p

Well, our money might melt in the heat, but you have to suffer with Copenhagen in cardboard cans. I'd sooner deal with the melting cash, I seldom see it anyway :D

Silver said:
Well, our money might melt in the heat, but you have to suffer with Copenhagen in cardboard cans. I'd sooner deal with the melting cash, I seldom see it anyway :D

Silver- no worry about that any more... I quit chewing Cope about 2 months ago- after having chewed it for almost 50 years..... :)

No real withdrawls except for wanting something in my mouth all the time... Grabbed up some of that Smokey Mountain all natural "herbal snuff" and it fit the bill.....

Latest posts