• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CANADIAN CATTLE MEN

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Does the Canadian cattle man care about CAPTIVE SUPPLY?

• yes they do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no they dont

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
How many Canadian Cattle men cared about Captive supply before the border closed?...........How many care about captive supply now?.....................good luck

Well MR HAYMAKER I'm not voting until you explain to us what Captive supply is. We wouldn't want to vote on something if we weren't sure what you mean.

Haymaker, Could you define(in your own words) "captive supply" for me ,please?

I want to know exactly what it is before I vote on it.

Thanks in advance! :lol:

TimH said:
Haymaker, Could you define(in your own words) "captive supply" for me ,please?

I want to know exactly what it is before I vote on it.

Thanks in advance! :lol:

CAPTIVE SUPPLY IN MY OWN WORDS"CATTLE THAT ARE OWNED AND OR CONTROLLED BY PACKERS TO MANIPULATE THE MARKETS".................good luck

Haymaker-"CAPTIVE SUPPLY IN MY OWN WORDS"CATTLE THAT ARE OWNED AND OR CONTROLLED BY PACKERS TO MANIPULATE THE MARKETS".................good luck"

Thats a pretty broad definition,Haymaker, as packers end up owning virtually ALL slaughter cattle at some point,if you think about it.
Could you be a little more specific on exactly which cattle you are talking about, and how long the packers own them etc.?? :lol:

CATTLE THAT ARE OWNED AND OR CONTROLLED BY PACKERS TO MANIPULATE THE MARKETS"

I need you to take off your farmers cap and start thinking like a business man. If you are a packer and you need say 50,000 head a month to keep your slaughter plant running, there would be alot of risk at showing up at the auction or buying from the feedlot and hoping you have 50,000 head at the end of every month. What if there are not 50,000 head available when you want them. This would lead to sporadic shutdowns of your plant and alot of scrambling to find cattle to try and keep your plant running. Unless you have a supplier that says to you, I will deliver fifty thousand head at the beginning of every month you are SOL. The packers buy cattle to give themselves a cushion. If there are 70,000 fed cattle available, they will buy those so that they have them when they come to a month where there are only 30,000 head available. They could do this through the futures market just as easily but there usually are not enough futures contracts for them to fill their needs. I've said for a long time that we as producers need to build the supply side and guarantee delivery of these 50,000 head through a single marketing body that would guarantee a certain base price to producers and feedlot owners alike with a bonus paid after grading. If we don't get ahold of the supply side of this equation, the packers will develop their own system and eventually we will al just be packer employees. Good Luck.

HAY MAKER said:
How many Canadian Cattle men cared about Captive supply before the border closed?...........How many care about captive supply now?.....................good luck

Believe I will answer my question,myself.How many canadian cattle men cared about captive supply before the border closed? NOT VERY MANY.
How many care about captive supply now? A HELLUVA LOT...........good luck

SASH said:
How many care about captive supply now? A HELLUVA LOT...........good luck

You must be interpreting the results of your poll alot different than I am .

sash thats not poll results ,thats my opinion,although I dont expect you hard headed canuckle heads to admit it,I believe you are getting a first hand look at captive supplies..............good luck

Haymaker- "sash thats not poll results ,thats my opinion,although I dont expect you hard headed canuckle heads to admit it,I believe you are getting a first hand look at captive supplies..............good luck"

" hard headed canuckle heads " ?????????? :shock: :shock:

Whatever you say there, HAY-MENSA!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TimH said:
Haymaker- "sash thats not poll results ,thats my opinion,although I dont expect you hard headed canuckle heads to admit it,I believe you are getting a first hand look at captive supplies..............good luck"

" hard headed canuckle heads " ?????????? :shock: :shock:

Whatever you say there, HAY-MENSA!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry there HAY-MENSA-- Your predictions are as good as those NCBA paid beancounters that told us for 20 years that this free trade was going to raise cattle prices-- They were only right about 2 out of 20 times-- and not even close to what R-CALF said would happen if we weren't taking in imports from every little country that came along... Will be hard to convince most cattlemen that its in their best interest to go back to the day of $20 cull cows............

Oldtimer- "Will be hard to convince most cattlemen that its in their best interest to go back to the day of $20 cull cows............"

What are those cull cows going to be worth,Oldtimer, if and when BSE is found in the US and the "Dennis McDonald/R-calf Plan" of not marketing OTM beef PERIOD is implemented???? :shock: :shock:

sooner or later all the cattle end up being owned by a packer...

As in captive suppy, do you mean forward contracting, futures hedging or production contracts? These are all tools that we can use, when the markets are operating. Lately these dont work in Canada, cause our prices have be established of the CBT. There is a need to have a "Made in Canada" futures price, but it isnt there. So if you are asking if the smart, business minded, market astute cattlemen should be allowed to protect his revenue and costs by using these tools, OF Course. If you can't figure how to use them, hire someone that knows. This is Free enterprise. If you can't compete the get out of the market, but dont use political BS and the courts to create a false perception of effiency and profitability.

TimH said:
Oldtimer- "Will be hard to convince most cattlemen that its in their best interest to go back to the day of $20 cull cows............"

What are those cull cows going to be worth,Oldtimer, if and when BSE is found in the US and the "Dennis McDonald/R-calf Plan" of not marketing OTM beef PERIOD is implemented???? :shock: :shock:

Actually TimH - R-CALFs stand has always been that if BSE is found in the US herd to test all until the extent of the disease is determined and the disease is eradicated-- Don't know how McDonalds statement came up, or in what context- but if we do find a BSE case, personally I would support testing everything over 20 months-- Keep the consumer confidence... Its what Canada should be doing......

Haymaker Can the canadian cattle WOMEN answer your poll too?? I see you just asked the men. :shock:

how about a poll to see if haymaker should do any more polls? :D now take this as humor plz.

Oldtimer said:
TimH said:

Actually TimH - R-CALFs stand has always been that if BSE is found in the US herd to test all until the extent of the disease is determined and the disease is eradicated-- Don't know how McDonalds statement came up, or in what context- but if we do find a BSE case, personally I would support testing everything over 20 months-- Keep the consumer confidence... Its what Canada should be doing......

So Oldtimer you are saying that you do not agree with R-calf if bse is found in the ''american'' herd :shock:

mwj said:
Oldtimer said:
TimH said:

So Oldtimer you are saying that you do not agree with R-calf if bse is found in the ''american'' herd :shock:

mwj- R-CALF has always said that if BSE is found in the US herd to test to maintain consumer confidence-- I'm not sure if they mentioned any age variances in their policy-- But personally with the several cases of under 30 month cattle having been found to test positive, I think the magic age should be 20 months.....If it happens- test everything over 20 months....Seems like the only right thing to do- not only for human health safety, and herd health, but to find the extent of the disease and help eradicate it--- Test until it shows its gone---Canada should have started this 2 years ago.....

But the Statement was if BSE is found in the US US ranchers shouldn't sell anything over 20 months. This statement didn't say anything about testing it said sell.

Latest posts