• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian Cowboy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher said:
Well Royce Ford got his X-mas present a bit early-I'm a thinkin'

Yep- but I'd hate to be judging the barebacks in some of these go-arounds- some have some pretty even matched horses....

I Did good tonite- my guys/gals placed in every event except SB (I never did like Mortenson, but thought they might gift him some- Etbauer did nothing either so I wouldn't have won either way)-- ended up with 20 points so I should be in good running to win a go around....

Jeff Willert came back pretty strong.

Anyone else notice that there aren't many Saddle Bronc riders whop really turn their toes out and acctually USE their spurs! :x

I think Koontz may have picked himself a pretty good new partner! :lol:

Jinglebob said:
Northern Rancher said:
Yeah there's lots of boot polishers out there for sure.

?????????????????? :???:

Toes in not toes out jinglebob. Tends to polish the boots instead of wear out the rowles. :wink:

Great finals all around!!! Woulda like to see Rod Warren do a little better but great cowboy and great guy! Lee Graves did Canada proad.Billy Etbaurer great ride! Yup enjoyed watchin this week.... now what to do next week.....

Yeah- Graves was definitely on a roll-- flat out showed them who deserved the title-- and someday I'll learn to not count Billy out because he is getting too old- I think I read on another site where he has now won 44 NFR go-around buckles...

I thought tonite that both Timberman in the BB and Mapston in the SB got shafted on there scores--but each judge sees a ride a little differently--Both really had strong horses....

And how about that June Holman--she didn't have the greatest finals, but just qualifying at the age of 62 is great- oldest person, male or female to qualify for the finals....

I understand that the PRCA and CRCA have worked out a deal so that the Canadian rodeos can still be PRCA approved..... :D

Dec. 11, 2005

Ellerman steers PRCA out of red

Commissioner turns 'complete disaster' around

By JEFF WOLF
REVIEW-JOURNAL

Troy Ellerman can enjoy today's closing round of the 47th annual National Finals Rodeo more than he did last year's final day of the world's richest rodeo.

When this afternoon's 10th and final go-round wraps up the $5.25 million rodeo in the Thomas & Mack Center, the commissioner of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association at least doesn't have to worry about whether or not the group will be able to pay bills and fulfill its contractual obligations.

Advertisement

What started as a tumultuous year, is ending on a high note though there is some discontent among major sponsors.

But the bottom line is that bottles of red ink will not be necessary when the PRCA begins preparing year-end reports.

Ellerman said last year ended with the PRCA about $3.6 million in debt. As of Sept. 4, the 7,500-member, not-for-profit organization will be at least $500,000 to the good and that doesn't count revenue from this year's National Finals Rodeo. This bit of financial good news comes on the heels of a year which saw the PRCA fire its auditors.

"I served on the (PRCA) board and they told us we had $4 million in the bank in August (2004). There was a lot of deceit. We fired our auditors who told us we had that $4 million in the bank," said the 42-year-old Ellerman.

He said before this year there "never was any budget in place, never any long-term planning, never any long-term projections, no accountability in every department. No department ever had a budget."

"It was a mess. A complete disaster," said Ellerman, a defense attorney in Sacramento, Calif., and former rodeo trick rider and bull-riding contestant.

The turnaround began with firings and staff cutbacks at PRCA headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colo., and the shocking, temporary closing of its ProRodeo Hall of Fame early in the year.

"We had to get the doors shut so we could figure out what was wrong, and that's what we did in April," he said. "It was the right thing to do, and I'd do it again.

"There are decisions that are unpopular. You can't put your finger in the air and see which way the wind is blowing."

The hall reopened in July, but the closing also alerted everyone involved with the PRCA that the new sheriff in town meant business -- fiscally sound business.

In the past two weeks, three Ellerman-led initiatives have come to fruition, including:

n Signing a new NFR contract with Las Vegas Events that will run through 2014 and begins this year paying the PRCA $2 million annually instead of $400,000.

n Selling licensing rights to the PRCA's ProRodeo Tour to a group headed by Jack Sperling, part owner of the Minnesota Wild of the NHL. Instead of losing $1.5 million like it did in 2004, the PRCA will be paid $500,000 annually.

n Selling licensing rights of the PRCA's Extreme Bulls Tour to Winnercomm, a sports television production and marketing company that produces the NFR for ESPN. Instead of losing $1.1 million like it did in 2004, Winnercomm will pay the PRCA $500,000 annually.

Joe Beaver, an eight-time PRCA world champion, holds the career record for money won in a career at $2.6 million. He's seen some changes this year but hopes for more including more money offered to contestants.

"I'm not going to say everything is great but there is a lot of changing going on and a lot of changing still needs to be done," said Beaver, 40.

"(Ellerman) can't build a castle in a week, but he's been trying to remodel it. I think he's trying to improve it and I hope he keeps the contestants in mind."

Ellerman also needs to focus on sponsor relations, according to a longtime rodeo marketer who did not want to be named. One major, multiyear PRCA sponsor who is involved with the NFR said the company probably will leave the PRCA and become involved with sponsoring the ProRodeo Tour.

For Ellerman this isn't the first time he's been in a high-profile position.

Before replacing Steve Hatchell to become the PRCA's third commissioner, he was a defense attorney for a key executive with Bay Area Laboratory (BALCO) in the steroids and athletes case.

"I'm working in what I love. I can't say that about (practicing) law," he said.

"It's been challenging. There's never a dull moment," he said. "Trial attorneys are constantly under fire and that's what I did for a living. It's no different here. You have to have a thick skin.

"I'm passionate about rodeo. Who wouldn't want to work in rodeo?"

I've been gone coaching hockey since Thursday-check in the hotel room after a game(Travelodge). The damned place got 40 some channels on Shaw cable but not OLN-so no NFR for me-was not a happy camper.

I truly hope they can pull it off. Can't imagine what it would be like without a PRCA, or the NFR.

One thing, I heard today that there was some kind of diffugility with Ty Murray and the PRCA and that is why Joe Beaver is narrating instead of Ty. I had not heard that. Does anyone know anything about it?

Faster horses said:
I truly hope they can pull it off. Can't imagine what it would be like without a PRCA, or the NFR.

One thing, I heard today that there was some kind of diffugility with Ty Murray and the PRCA and that is why Joe Beaver is narrating instead of Ty. I had not heard that. Does anyone know anything about it?

Ty took over as the head of the PBR after Tuff quit in disagreement with the PBR management-- and there is a big rivalry between PBR and PRCA and their Extreme Bulls (who has Donny Gay who was fired by PBR)...

Lot of egos and dollars competing is what it looks like to me...

I like Ty- but thought Joe Beaver did a good job-- also always liked Donny Gay, who definitely knows bullriding and adds a little country flavor to the commentating...And Butch Knowles knows broncs...The only comment I heard is that they should have a barrel racer commentator- but the ladies barrel race and WBRA are kind of the blacksheep stepchild of the PRCA...

Thanks for the explanation, OT.

Yea, I know some barrel racers, so was always aware of that conflict.
Didn't know what happened to Ty tho.
Beav was alright, he always mentioned the horses, but I couldn't hear him as good as Ty Murray.

Just me and my hearing, I am sure.

Have a friend that trains barrel horses in Aubrey, Texas. A couple of the horses at the finals were horses he had started on barrels. He told me seveal years ago that Joe Beaver is a good horseman. I didn't think so before that, but I have a lot of respect for the fella that told us. Anyway, I appreciated Joe's always mentioning the horse that was in the arena. He gave them a lot of credit. As they should have.

Didn't know Stran (sigh, what a hunk!!) Smith's horse was in his 20's. Stran sure has him fit and looking good. What a guy!!! My favorite~

FH-----did you see how our team roper, Tryan, did??!! Yayyyyy!!!! :D
Thank goodness for DVR....or else the 6 year old would have been up til 2a.m. each time just to watch his bullriding!!! :wink:

My dvr screwed up and i didnt ge to see Jake Loose his thumb,did they even show it?Man,what a way to go...Ole ronnie Fields took it dry with that last steer of his dog fallin on him,it looks like he'd go 3.9 to 4.1....

what about Rod Warren winning the Saddle Bronc average again-he really makes those other guys ride up when they know they won't be getting that average bonus at the end of the year. Pretty impressive to ride 36 straight at the NFR. I think Kelly Timberman and Ryan Mapson both got jobbed a bit on day 10-anytime you get Grated Coconut covered you deserve more than 83.5-I think Ryan didn't miss his horse out either.

I love grated coconut,hes prolly my favorite brong.Big,pretty,and hard bucking.I agree 83.5 was a little ow,i figured hed go at least 87,but thats just me...

Latest posts