• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian Farmers To Receive C$1 Billion In Aid

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly said:
All I know, is my accountant and I were discussing this wonderful new handout, and he told me based on our numbers, not to expect a whole hell of alot. Wasn't too surprised. The media builds it up to make it sound so great, but in reality the average farmer or rancher will get a pittance. We'll take it but only because a little is better than nothing.

Shelly did he tell you if that handout was based on 2003 numbers? heard that a couple times today in town..

I believe so. Did you get any money from TSIP last year? If so, as far as I understand, there just going to base it on the numbers they already have on file for the payouts they made last year. Which would be 2003, because you know how gov't programs are always a year behind.

Shelly said:
I believe so. Did you get any money from TSIP last year? If so, as far as I understand, there just going to base it on the numbers they already have on file for the payouts they made last year. Which would be 2003, because you know how gov't programs are always a year behind.

Yeah I got some money last yr ...we will have to wait and see I guess.

So you think that billion dollars sounds like a lot?????

More than $600 million of that is going to crop producers, leaving about $300 million for livestock producers. Livestock producers would include beef and dairy,poultry, sheep etc.

Lets pretend for a moment that every cent of this $300 million went only to BEEF cow/calf producers. Forget about the OTHER livestock producers and any administration costs.

Canada's BEEF cow herd is about 5 million head. 300,000,000 dollars divided by 5,000,000 cows works out to a whopping $60 dollars per head.

That 600 million that the grain farmers are getting may as well be sent directly to their fuel,fertilizer and chemical suppliers.They'll get it anyway.

But by golly that $1,000,000,000 sure sounds like a lot, don't it!!!!

Even if I did actually receive that imaginary $60/head, it would not even pay my fuel bill for the year. Unfortunatley,I doubt that any news reporter,pundit or industry observer anywhere will have the gumption to pick up a calculator and take 5 minutes to do this bit of basic math. :roll:

I think a good chunk of that billion dollars is going to be ate up by administration costs first, before it gets divided up to the rest of us.

Shelly said:
I think a good chunk of that billion dollars is going to be ate up by administration costs first, before it gets divided up to the rest of us.

C'mon Shelly- those poor bureaucrats need a guaranteed income too :wink:

If you focused the same amount of animosity toward your own government that you do towards the US cattlemen(R-Calf) you wouldn't be in this position. Were just protecting our ass I suggest you start doing the same.[/quote]

Hat for being a geek,your intelligence level sure isn't very high.We have no resentment against the average US cattlemen,just people like you with a lower mentality or should i say(r-calf)!So don't lump the 2 together,because not all US cattlemen believe the crap,that r-calf is saying.

I hope the few crumbs Canadian cattlemen get outa this can keep them going until things get better. It would be an improvement in US foreign Aid priorities if we would match the billion for Canadian cattlemen.

I don't understand how some can be so indifferent to the struggles of those with such overwhelming commonality, perhaps they haven't thought about things much. I am embarassed that pure luck has bestowed record prices on US cattlemen while torturing Canadians, and some Americans would support this. I am the harshest critic of Canadians booing the US flag at hockey games, but US cattlemen exploiting Canadian misery is at least as offensive.

Your idea of the US matching the one billion to Candian cattle feeders is a noble idea but I for one would be mad as ****. The gov't wasn't there for me when I almost lost everything in 1998 and again in, I believe 2001. Still paying back what I couldn't back then. I will be paying for many years to come!!! So don't forget what our very own ranchers, feeders, and hog producers went through previously.

Just so you all know, Sakatchewan ranchers and farmers share got a little smaller yesterday. The money was supposed to be split 60/40, with 60% coming from the federal gov't and 40% from the provincial gov't. Our provincial gov't said they couldn't afford that, so our big "handout", which isn't very big to begin with, just about got cut in half. I think I'll take our "big" check and put it towards a fuel bill, it might pay part of it.

He's definitely not ignorant, that's more your style! Maybe he's not being realistic, because we all know giving Canada's farmers and ranchers a billion dollars is just a pipe dream, but at least he's showing a little compassion. Have you ever sat down and figured out how much money your government is giving to other countries for whatever reason? I bet the amount would be phenomenal!

Doesn't it warm your heart to know that your provincial governments are looking out for you? The farmers and ranchers which are the backbone of each individual province's economy? @#$%^&* NDP's! That little church mouse of a premier here should go back to being just that! A church mouse! :mad:

That is about the dumbest idea I've heard. Were finally making a little money on cattle and now your ready to trade it all in for people in another country. I don't know if your noble or just plain ignorant.

Hat you want to know what i think,You don't own a cow,you probably don't even know what a cow looks like in real life.If you ever seen a cow,you would probably be scared of it!!You just like to here yourself babble,since you can't find anyone else to listen to you!Theirs the difference between the u.s cattlemen and r-calf.
Brad S would be considered a u.s. cattlemen,he thinks with his own mind.
Hat you may as well be the leader of r-calf.From what i have read of your posts,you are the dumbest one of the whole bunch.

Latest posts