• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadian or U.S.A

Help Support Ranchers.net:

billy

Reaction score
I have land right along the Canada USA border. Last summer, my neighbors bull (american) went through the fence and was breeding my cows in Canada. So my question is. Are they Canadian calves when I sell them or are they American? And if I go with the COOL that my fellow Montana neighbor would like, does that make them made in USA?

Sorry, no. The only way you get the "product of USA" stamp is if is born, bred, and processed in the USA. Besides, you wouldn't want that stamp on your beef would you? :lol: :wink:

Billy, they were bred in Canada so they are Canadian calfs. If your cows crawled in with his bull in USA and were bred they would be a product of Canadian and USA.

No I would not want that stamp. So, next question. Say my bull crawled in with his cows and bred his cows, does that make them Canadian and USA? If thats the case I guess he could not sell his calves in the USA. How are people going to know if they are Can. or USA when he does sell them? This border issue is really STUPID. If I was to make a brand up, exactly the same as my neighbors, brand my calves, run them across the border in with his calves when he gets ready to sell, how are people going to know if they are Can or USA. It could be done so easily, and quietly if both parties had a mutual agreement. Whats stopping it from happening.

billy said:
No I would not want that stamp. So, next question. Say my bull crawled in with his cows and bred his cows, does that make them Canadian and USA? If thats the case I guess he could not sell his calves in the USA. How are people going to know if they are Can. or USA when he does sell them? This border issue is really STUPID. If I was to make a brand up, exactly the same as my neighbors, brand my calves, run them across the border in with his calves when he gets ready to sell, how are people going to know if they are Can or USA. It could be done so easily, and quietly if both parties had a mutual agreement. Whats stopping it from happening.

Watch out, the "Minute Men" will get you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

billy said:
No I would not want that stamp. So, next question. Say my bull crawled in with his cows and bred his cows, does that make them Canadian and USA? If thats the case I guess he could not sell his calves in the USA. How are people going to know if they are Can. or USA when he does sell them? This border issue is really STUPID. If I was to make a brand up, exactly the same as my neighbors, brand my calves, run them across the border in with his calves when he gets ready to sell, how are people going to know if they are Can or USA.

Rancher-His bookkeeper when he sells, the IRS and the other neighbors when he comes up with more calves than he has cows. Now if you are talking a piddly number you could probably get away with it.

It could be done so easily, and quietly if both parties had a mutual agreement. Whats stopping it from happening.

billy said:
If I was to make a brand up, exactly the same as my neighbors, brand my calves, run them across the border in with his calves when he gets ready to sell, how are people going to know if they are Can or USA. It could be done so easily, and quietly if both parties had a mutual agreement. Whats stopping it from happening.

billy- thats maybe the reason they are building all these "forts" on the 49th, have the surveillance satellites and cameras in place--- may even move some of the black helicopters out of South Dakota (supposed to be putting in a new air border surveillance unit in Great Falls)...I always thought it was just to keep Tam from smuggling in those contraband roast beef sandwiches :lol: :wink:

I agree about in our area that their are some cattle straying back and forth- also would not surprise me that some have done exactly what you said with some calves--But I don't think the profits are enough to make it worth becoming an international felon if you got caught.....

I do not plan on ever doing it but just to point out how stupid it is how this border is dividing cattlemen from across a fence. I never planned on or thought of it because it just is not worth it.

Latest posts