• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CANADIAN OTM CATTLE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SHOULD "OTM" CATTLE START CROSSING THE BORDER?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
It looks like the JPN. market is finally going to open,I say its about time!
Now on the Canadian ranchers "OTM" cattle,and I well aware of the "BSE" theory,but does this opening of the JPN. markets soften your stance on the canadian's "OTM"?...................good luck

Come on now Oltimer. Everybody has accomplished as much as they can from this BS. Mutinational Packers have more control in Canada just like Rcalf planned (oops that is what Rcalf planned wasn't it),Producers in America and Canada have blamed each other to death (that worked out well now didn't it), and a lot of Canadian producers have simply given up and become contract feeders for Rcalf members who saw a chance and took it.

I'm glad you have stopped talking about science since you got your hair cut. (from that Einstien style) :lol:

I would like to vote YES and NO. I would like to see the market improve but i would be happy if OTM beef could cross and we could process that beef in Canada.

According to an article I read this morning, the US negotiators are taking a stance with Japan that goes like this.... Once a country has reached an eight year feed ban, and is removing SRM's, then age is not a factor. :shock: :shock:

They are doing it in a lower profile manner than the shoving and pushing they've been doing over the past year, but this is their plan.

Now, if we are to follow this up, the fact is that as of August 1, 2006, Canada has reached the eight year feed ban milestone. 8)

This will be a test of whether the USDA has a policy of do what I say and not what I do eh?? :wink:

Does anyone here know if the American plants are checking teeth at slaughter, and removing SRM's ? If so, then there is no reason to keep OTM Canadian cattle out of your plants, is there??? If they are not, then they need to come up to standard since you have homegrown BSE too.

Hereford76 said:
Does anyone know the initial intentions behind R-Calf in their early days?

In 1998 the R-CALF USA was founded as a foundation to represent and file three trade cases on behalf of the U.S. cattle industry. Trade laws are different from domestic laws in that it is generally required that the domestic industry monitors them and files the appropriate petitions when a trade violation occurs that is damaging U.S. prices.

R-CALF USA filed a live cattle and anti-dumping (selling below the cost of production) case against Canada and Mexico , and a countervailing (subsidy) case against Canada. The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) in January dismissed the Mexico case. In the summer of 1999, the Department of Commerce (DOC) found that Canada was subsidizing the production of live cattle, but not at a high enough rate to warrant penalty tariffs. The DOC in July of 1999 also found Canada was dumping cattle into the U.S. at a high enough rate to warrant tariffs equivalent to the violation to be put on. The U.S. cattle market saw an immediate improvement in their markets.

Unfortunately, the ITC ruled in November of 1999, contrary to the DOC findings, that U.S. producers were not "materially injured" by the dumping of Canadian cattle and the ITC lifted the anti-dumping tariffs imposed by the DOC.

The U.S. cattle trade cases resulted in the largest trade case in the history of the U.S. and had more U.S. Senators testifying at the ITC hearing than any previous trade case. Over 27,000 cattle producers and 120 associations from across the U.S. signed on supporting the cases.

Hereford76 said:
Does anyone know the initial intentions behind R-Calf in their early days?

The acronym is a clue: R (ranchers)C(cattle or cattlemens?) A (action) L (legal) F (fund)

Just curious, for the people who voted yes or no to the poll, what are some of your reasons for the way you voted?

What does the Opening of Japan to under 21 month age cattle have to do with "OTM" cattle from Canada?

Will "OTM" cattle inclued breeding stock or just cows destined for slaughter?

YoungFarmer said:
Just curious, for the people who voted yes or no to the poll, what are some of your reasons for the way you voted?

What does the Opening of Japan to under 21 month age cattle have to do with "OTM" cattle from Canada?

If I understand OIE's proposed requirements on opening in this type situation and what USDA has indicated they will propose is that it would be for OTM slaughter cattle and beef born AFTER the feedban went in (1998)... My question is how are they going to determine if that cow or that beef was born in 1997 or 1999?

Youngfarmer- Since USDA hasn't issued a proposed rule- and no details, no one knows what they are coming out with....Kind of hard to be for or against it yet- altho I question whether we have the safeguards in place to take any OTM beef yet......

Youngfarmer- Since USDA hasn't issued a proposed rule- and no details, no one knows what they are coming out with....Kind of hard to be for or against it yet- altho I question whether we have the safeguards in place to take any OTM beef yet......

Now OT, you know you're against all trade, your RCALF has told you that you are against it! And no you don't have the safeguards in place, that's what the rest of the world has been telling you since Dec. 2003. Get over it and start making changes, we have up North, that's why we're taking your export markets away from you.

We haven't been that vocal, but we have got things done!!!!!

Oldtimer said:
YoungFarmer said:

If I understand OIE's proposed requirements on opening in this type situation and what USDA has indicated they will propose is that it would be for OTM slaughter cattle and beef born AFTER the feedban went in (1998)... My question is how are they going to determine if that cow or that beef was born in 1997 or 1999?

Here's the really neat thing Oldtimer. The feed ban went into place in both countries at the same time. Both countries have the same OIE risk rating. Both countries have the same SRM removal protocols.

You are eating OTM beef from a BSE infected country already, your own!

Murgen writes: "Get over it and start making changes, we have up North, that's why we're taking your export markets away from you."

This is the third time I have seen a remark like this is the last few days. My question is how does this supposedly hurt the U.S producer? If you run your cattle through the US and we export them or if you export them directly, as a producer, what difference should this make? Won't the boxed beef go through the same US owned packers anyway, and as far as producers are concerned, what you send there won't wind up here.
Just wondering why this is always thrown out as some kind of a neener-neener type statement?

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
YoungFarmer said:

Here's the really neat thing Oldtimer. The feed ban went into place in both countries at the same time. Both countries have the same OIE risk rating. Both countries have the same SRM removal protocols.

Oh I can't wait till they open the border I sure miss selling butcher cows for 20 to 30 cent's a lb.

Denny said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:

Oh I can't wait till they open the border I sure miss selling butcher cows for 20 to 30 cent's a lb.
I recall many on this site also saying that when UTMs opened US prices would fall out of sight.

Didn't happen.

This is just my opinion but I really don't believe we will see all of Canada's cull cattle flood our markets. For one thing shipping costs are going to keep those cattle from making the trip and Canada has developed new facilities to handle those cattle and on top of that they have as good or better markets up there now as we do. The same goes for feeder cattle. I feel it will play out the same way it did when R-Calf had all these ranchers from the US thinking are markets were going to crash when they would reopen the border. In my opinion the only accomplishments that R-Calf has made was to help eliminate the Canadian feedlots as another market for the Northern US Cattleman and make a few people wealthy off the backs of all the real people that couldn't afford to donate money to R-Calf. Glad to say I never did give the R-Calf guys the time of day from the start.

OTM another mad cow myth. this clip is worth reading if you are looking for science.

Stanely says the OTM is ANYTHING BUT scientific. this clip is worth listening too...

Stanley Prusiner - Discoverer of Prions

"THE BEEF IN JAPAN IS SAFER THAN USA BEEF"

"UNDER/OVER 30 MONTH RULE IS STUPID ... ARBITRARY NUMBER"

1 TO A MAXIMUM OF 5 sCJD per million in stans push for the spontaneous theory (patent cdi test$).

90% of CJD is spontaneous, without route and source. (i do not agree, he got the prize, i have no Phds).

stan does mention the atypical TSE in Italian cows and almost goes to sCJD being caused by meat, but

his patent could not bring his heart to do that$ this theory is wrong in the sense of 85% of all

sCJD cases are spontaneous. i have asked him to clarify what figures he thinks of the 85%+ of sCJD

he thinks is spontaneous and what % is from one of the many proven routes and sources of TSE,

and stan has failed to reply to that question. also, the spontaneous theory of TSE has not been proven,

in a sense of producing a TSE that is identical to any field TSE documented to date. IN FACT,

the latest science is proving the UK/BSE/nvCJD only theory is being proven to be false.

Stanley Prusiner - Discoverer of Prions

http://maddeer.org/video/embedded/prusiner.html

TSS

Latest posts