• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CANADIANS AND BSE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SHOULD CANADIANAS TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THERE ACTIONS ?

• YES,AND THE SOONER THE BETTER

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO,IT'S MUCH EASIER TO BLAME SOMEONE ELSE

• WHO CARES

• Total voters

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Who is the blame for the BSE crisis in Canada,I find the fact twisting hate mongering that Miss Tam and her cohorts bring to the board a image of their character.
The fact of the matter is, Canada has caused irreparable harm to the North American cattle industry,to try and blame R CALF or anyone else for trying to keep the BSE crisis from destroying the indutry further is ignorance in its rawest form................good luck

hayseed...appreciate you keepin the Canadian whiskey industry goin all on yur own....idiot :roll:

HAY MAKER said:
Who is the blame for the BSE crisis in Canada,I find the fact twisting hate mongering that Miss Tam and her cohorts bring to the board a image of their character.
The fact of the matter is, Canada has caused irreparable harm to the North American cattle industry,to try and blame R CALF or anyone else for trying to keep the BSE crisis from destroying the indutry further is ignorance in its rawest form................good luck

Haymaker, Does Canada have anything whatsoever to do with the BSE positives in Texas and Alabama?
A simple yes or no answer is good enough.

Thanks in advance.

JUST ANOTHER STUPID HAYMAKER POLL :roll: I thought BMR's poll results were pretty much a landslide when he asked Should we ban Crotchty Old Texans from posting Polls? I guess poll results don't matter much in Haymakers world. :wink:

BTW where is hall monitor eCon, shouldn't he be here getting after Haymaker for posting crap that nobody cares to read. :shock:

TimH said:
HAY MAKER said:

Haymaker, Does Canada have anything whatsoever to do with the BSE positives in Texas and Alabama?

Thanks in advance.

Yes.........................good luck

Hay Maker..

Do you think if they tested USA Bovine like the did in Canada, they would have similar results?

I have asked this question to many people, and no one ever answers it. :cry:

HAY MAKER said:
TimH said:
HAY MAKER said:

Thanks in advance.

Yes.........................good luck

The second case, discovered June 10, 2005 in Texas was a Brahma cross born in Texas around 1992. The US Department of Agriculture confirmed the farm of origin in Texas through DNA matching with other cattle born on the same farm. USDA's epidemiological report states that the cow had lived her entire life on the one farm in Texas. This cow had no connection to Canada whatsoever.

Excerpt from USDA report dated August 2005: "Farm A, located in Texas, was the suspected farm of origin for the index cow and was placed under

hold order on June 20, 2005 pending confirmation of the positive results and DNA analysis of the herd. Weybridge confirmed the BSE positive on June 24, 2005. The carcass of the index cow had been disposed of by incineration in November 2004. Cattle from several units on Farm A were bled for DNA testing (a unit is a part of the business entity of a farm. For example, a pasture on which a group resides may be a unit). Farm A was confirmed as the farm of origin for the index cow on June 29, 2005, and an ICP was established in Texas to coordinate the response."

and

"The owner of Farm A raised this cow from birth and stated that the cow had never been off the premises prior to its sale."

3) The third case, discovered March 15, 2006 in Alabama was a red crossbred cow. From dentition, USDA estimated this cow to have been born around 1996. Following an extensive investigation of over 30 farms, all in the United States, USDA was unable to confirm the specific herd of origin of this cow. Despite not pinpointing the exact herd of origin, there were no leads to suggest that the animal might have been imported from Canada. Furthermore, Canadian authorities were never requested to assist in the trace-out indicating that there was no Canadian trail to follow. USDA refers to this case in its epidemiological report as the second native case of BSE in the United States.

Excerpt from USDA report dated May 2, 2006: "On March 15, NVSL completed immunohistochemical testing on the tissues, confirming the second native case of BSE in the United States."

PLEEAASSEE give you brain a break Haymaker and stop drinking the hard stuff so early in the day. :roll: :roll: :roll:

RodeoFoto,
There would cases of BSE if the US tested as many cattle as we do. More cattle so the number would be higher of course. There are reasons they dont want to test. Some Americans seem to believe that the border crossing stops diseases :roll: It is easier to throw stones at Canadians than to accept and realize that we ALL have a problem here. The big guns in the states have also blocked producers that wanted to test their own herds. What does that tell you? If I was an American producer I would purchase tests out of country and test anyway. Then I would sell my beef as "BSE tested closed herd". There is money to be made here but blinders are on.

Well ,I see I caught a few canucks LOL,I really figured there would be more but...........I will take what I got,Miss Tam as usual you either did'nt understand or was so eager to spout off you proved my post.
Manitoba rancher is always good for a insult or two,so he gets credit for being dumb enough to prove my point also.
nenmrancher also gets credit,plenty insults from that ole girl.
greg was a surprise he usually is above running with the pack,but not today,he proves his character.
Then there is always a few to smart to trap....Tim H falls into that catergory so I will answer his question to the best of my ability,yes canada had a impact on the TX cow,and remember we still cannot say with certainty,the Alabama cow was not an canadian import.
What if there never was a washington cow from Canada ?
what if canada never had one case of BSE ?
With Canada having numerous cases of BSE,and being our trading partner for years our export customers saw us as one and the same,as a matter of fact some probably still do ?It will take years of quaratine to rid the *USA* of that reputation.
So in sumary yes Canada had a great deal to do with our two cases of BSE,I still do not believe we would have lost all our export markets,except for our good ole tradin partner................good luck
PS.......... almost forgot the good lookin blonde,I figger she was at the wrong place,when I was trapping canucks,but anyway ,Rodeofoto,I dont think you will find anyone on the boards that is happy with the USDA's testing procedures,I personally think we should test all OTM cattle,would solve alot of problems,here is a link to their test plans ,be your own judge :wink: ....................good luck
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/content/printable_version/fs_BSE_ongoing_vs.pdf

Haymaker wrote-

...,"yes canada had a impact on the TX cow,and remember we still cannot say with certainty,the Alabama cow was not an canadian import.
What if there never was a washington cow from Canada ?
what if canada never had one case of BSE ?

If there never was a Washington cow from Canada ,you would have lost your export markets when the Texas cow was detected.

If Canada never had one case of BSE,you would have lost your export markets when the Texas cow was detected.

Furthermore, the age of the Texas cow would suggest that BSE had been present and circulating in native USA cattle BEFORE it was present in Canada.

Which part of the USDA quotes below is it that you don't understand Haymaker ??

"This cow had no connection to Canada whatsoever."

"The owner of Farm A raised this cow from birth and stated that the cow had never been off the premises prior to its sale."

"...there were no leads to suggest that the animal might have been imported from Canada. Furthermore, Canadian authorities were never requested to assist in the trace-out indicating that there was no Canadian trail to follow. USDA refers to this case in its epidemiological report as the second native case of BSE in the United States. "

Rodeofoto,I dont think you will find anyone on the boards that is happy with the USDA's testing procedures,I personally think we should test all OTM cattle,would solve alot of problems,here is a link to their test plans ,be your own judge.

Good to hear that is the general feeling that more tests should be done!! :D

nenmrancher said:
Hate to tell you this you old Texas jackass I aint no girl and I sure aint as old as you think.

Then my guess is you are every bit of 16,why dont you go bother someone else,the only thing I see comming from you are sacastics and name calling,like I said pretty easy to hide behind a keyboard and name call..............good luck

aint no wet behind the ears kid either, just a middle of the road type person who was raised to treat women with respect regardless of where they are from and what their political opinion is and dont like to see some old coote like you treating women with disrespect just because they dont bow and scrape when you issue your god like opinions. I have been reading on here for along time and dont really post much, but I am very active in our state cattle growers and FB. As for the national organizations I think you will find that I hold NCBA and RCALF both in very low opinion. So dont go spoutin off about what ya dont know.

nenmrancher said:
aint no wet behind the ears kid either, just a middle of the road type person who was raised to treat women with respect regardless of where they are from and what their political opinion is and dont like to see some old coote like you treating women with disrespect just because they dont bow and scrape when you issue your god like opinions. I have been reading on here for along time and dont really post much, but I am very active in our state cattle growers and FB. As for the national organizations I think you will find that I hold NCBA and RCALF both in very low opinion. So dont go spoutin off about what ya dont know.

Get lost creep,end of story.

RodeoFoto said:
Hay Maker..

Do you think if they tested USA Bovine like the did in Canada, they would have similar results?

I have asked this question to many people, and no one ever answers it. :cry:

TRIPLE SSS BSE/BASE MAD COW POLICY ALIVE AND WELL IN TEXAS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Statement
May 4, 2004
Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

Statement on Texas Cow With Central Nervous System Symptoms
On Friday, April 30 th , the Food and Drug Administration learned that a cow with central nervous system symptoms had been killed and shipped to a processor for rendering into animal protein for use in animal feed.

FDA, which is responsible for the safety of animal feed, immediately began an investigation. On Friday and throughout the weekend, FDA investigators inspected the slaughterhouse, the rendering facility, the farm where the animal came from, and the processor that initially received the cow from the slaughterhouse.

FDA's investigation showed that the animal in question had already been rendered into "meat and bone meal" (a type of protein animal feed). Over the weekend FDA was able to track down all the implicated material. That material is being held by the firm, which is cooperating fully with FDA.

Cattle with central nervous system symptoms are of particular interest because cattle with bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE, also known as "mad cow disease," can exhibit such symptoms. In this case, there is no way now to test for BSE. But even if the cow had BSE, FDA's animal feed rule would prohibit the feeding of its rendered protein to other ruminant animals (e.g., cows, goats, sheep, bison).

FDA is sending a letter to the firm summarizing its findings and informing the firm that FDA will not object to use of this material in swine feed only. If it is not used in swine feed, this material will be destroyed. Pigs have been shown not to be susceptible to BSE. If the firm agrees to use the material for swine feed only, FDA will track the material all the way through the supply chain from the processor to the farm to ensure that the feed is properly monitored and used only as feed for pigs.

To protect the U.S. against BSE, FDA works to keep certain mammalian protein out of animal feed for cattle and other ruminant animals. FDA established its animal feed rule in 1997 after the BSE epidemic in the U.K. showed that the disease spreads by feeding infected ruminant protein to cattle.

Under the current regulation, the material from this Texas cow is not allowed in feed for cattle or other ruminant animals. FDA's action specifying that the material go only into swine feed means also that it will not be fed to poultry.

FDA is committed to protecting the U.S. from BSE and collaborates closely with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on all BSE issues. The animal feed rule provides crucial protection against the spread of BSE, but it is only one of several such firewalls. FDA will soon be improving the animal feed rule, to make this strong system even stronger.

####

Texas SSS Policy

[email protected]
For Immediate Release--
Anthrax Confirmed in Sutton County, Texas

Anthrax Confirmed in Sutton County, Texas

snip...

Two ranches in Sutton County, Texas have laboratory-confirmed cases of anthrax in horses, deer and cattle, and laboratory results are pending for
several other sites in the county, where livestock and deer losses have been reported. Although this bacterial disease occurs almost yearly in this region of the state,
cases have not been confirmed within Sutton County for more than 20 years. Typically, outbreaks are in Val Verde, Edwards, Kinney and Uvalde counties, but on rare occasions, cases have been confirmed as far south as Starr County, reports Dr. Thurman Fancher, director of Area 6 (West Texas) for the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC).

"Anthrax is under-reported, because many ranchers in this area automatically dispose of carcasses and vaccinate livestock when they find dead animals that are bloated or bloody--common signs of the disease," said Dr. Fancher. "Anthrax is a reportable disease, however, and it's important to know when an outbreak occurs, so other ranchers can be notified to vaccinate.........

snip...end

TSS REPORT ON 2ND TEJAS MAD COW Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:12:15 -0600 (the one
that did NOT get away, thanks to the Honorable Phyllis Fong)

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: BSE 'INCONCLUSIVE' COW from
TEXAS ???
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:12:15 -0600
To: Carla Everett
References: <[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask] us>

Greetings Carla,still hear a rumor;

Texas single beef cow not born in Canada no beef entered the food chain?

and i see the TEXAS department of animal health is ramping up forsomething,
but they forgot a url for update?I HAVE NO ACTUAL CONFIRMATION YET...can you
confirm???terry

==============================
==============================

TEXAS ???
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:38:21 -0600
To: "Terry S. Singeltary Sr."

The USDA has made a statement, and we are referring all callers to the USDA
web site. We have no informationabout the animal being in Texas. CarlaAt
09:44 AM 11/19/2004, you wrote:>Greetings Carla,>>i am getting
unsubstantiated claims of this BSE 'inconclusive' cow is from>TEXAS. can you
comment on this either way please?>>thank you,>Terry S. Singeltary Sr.>>
===================
===================

TEXAS ???
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:33:20 -0600
To: "Terry S. Singeltary Sr."
<[log in to unmask] us>
<[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]
us> <[log in to unmask]>

our computer department was working on a place holder we could postUSDA's
announcement of any results. There are no results to be announced tonightby
NVSL, so we are back in a waiting mode and will post the USDA
announcementwhen we hear something.At 06:05 PM 11/22/2004, you wrote:>why
was the announcement on your TAHC site removed?>>Bovine Spongiform
Encephalopathy:>November 22: Press Release title here >>star image More BSE
information>>>>terry>>Carla Everett wrote:>>>no confirmation on the U.S.'
inconclusive test...>>no confirmation on location of
animal.>>>>>>==========================
==========================

ONE YEAR LATER, AFTER CONGRESS OIG DOING THE END AROUND JOHANNS, DEHAVEN ET AL, and getting the above Tejas mad cow tissue sample to Weybridge, that cow was CONFIRMED. IT would have never been confirmed if not for the Honorable Phyllis Fong, and a few others :wink:

FACTS are facts, the Triple SSS policy of shoot, shovel and shut the hell up, is and has been alive and well in TEXAS. hate to disappoint some of you folks that are saying Canada has a greater problem of mad cow disease than the USA. That's a real hoot. IT just aint so though. why in the hell do you think they shut the 2004 Enhanced BSE cover-up down? AFTER those two BASE cows in Texas and Alabama, the ones that the pathology DID NOT resemble nvCJD or vCJD of the ukbse strain, but the pathology of some of the sporadic CJDs in the USA, that changed everything, and they simply were not going to document anymore cases. YOU would have thought after that they would have enhanced the surveillance even more. BUT NOW we cannot even get USDA to document a TOKEN SO CALLED spontaneous case of mad cow disease, which most of us know is just wishful thinking anyway. ...TSS

Latest posts