• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadians skeptical of USDA coverup.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Reaction score
Allegation of U.S. mad cow coverup stirs up debate
Last Updated Apr 11 2005 11:48 AM CDT
CBC News
SASKATOON – An allegation of a U.S. coverup of mad cow cases south of the border has been generating debate and disbelief in Canada.

Canadian cattle have been banned from the U.S. since May 2003

A former United States Department of Agriculture packing plant veterinarian said last week it doesn't make sense that Canada has had four BSE cases (including one Canadian-born cow found with the disease in Washington state), but the U.S., with ten times as many cattle, hasn't seen a single case.

Lester Friedlander, who speaks on food safety issues and was in Edmonton Wednesday, said colleagues with the USDA told him there have been cases of bovine spongiform encephalopathy found that the government has chosen not to make public.

However, industry leaders in Saskatchewan aren't buying the notion of a coverup.

Lanigan-area feedlot operator Brad Wildeman said he's heard these allegations before, but he's not buying them.

"Without seeing some concrete evidence of that...memos or directives, you know, I think we have to take them with a grain of salt," he said.

Even scientists like University of Saskatchewan's Chris Clark, a leading expert in BSE, finds charges of a coverup hard to swallow.

"That would just be absurd to sort of suggest that diagnostic labs were losing samples or not testing the appropriate samples," he said. "That would call into question your entire animal health program. I can't see anybody would be stupid enough to do that."

Clark said if there is any weakness in the American system it might be in producer compliance – if farmers don't identify animals for testing, often they won't be tested.

As for the difference in detection rates between the two countries, Wildeman said it may be because Canada uses a much more sensitive test.

The USDA denied Friedlander's allegations, saying there's no way it would hide BSE cases because that would hurt the beef industry.

How many governments have been caught in coverups that nobody thought they would do?
How many Former USDA vets are going to have to speak up before an indepentent investigation is done?
Just how many people in the US believed the FDA was inspecting feed mills for compliance when they were claiming 99% compliance ratings?
Only to have the whole compliance of the feed bans come under investigation and prove that they had not been inspecting all feed mills in a timely manner and their records had big holes where information about inspection should have been.
To say there is no coverup by the USDA in the testing is hard to believe when you look at their past record. The Texas cow, the 500 plus other cows that were brought to our attention from the last former USDA vet that decided to speak up. Calling the Washington cow a downer when they knew the plant that slaughtered her had a policy of NOT processing downers when they enter the contract to supply 1000 of a 20000 head quota for testing.
Calling the credibility of the USDA 's testing into question should be done by all consumer domestic and foreign. As if they are skimping by on the testing what else are the skimping by on? My question is if Canada supposedly has such a big BSE problem because of our supposed chronic feed ban compliance then why has the USDA only found one BSE positive cow in the millions of cattle that have been imported from Canada and none in the U.S cattle that ate feed from our supposed chronic feed system?

these are valid points! we have tainted beef right here in the USA....only way to handle it is keep the border closed!

Yep, closed border and all else status quo, good plan! Don't change a thing! Right Jigs?

At least Rancher knows there are problems with the US system that need to be changed.

Funny how you R-calfers have confidence in what was done in the past and not what the USDA is doing now. If they are so incompetent now, might they have been in the past with rules, regulations and compliance control?

Well, Reader, maybe my personality is going to change now, just a dumb guy with no opinions that matter, No more asking questions that make people think, and no more mirroring the attitudes that are shown towards us "Canuckleheads". But I doubt it, just because Haymaker dislikes other opinions!

Funny how we all judge eachother on this board, depending on our opinions on one subject mostly. What type of discussion did this board contain pre-BSE in North America?

Did we all discuss issues that would help eachother out with production, financial concerns for the betterment of the North American industry, or attack eachother for their COO (country of origin) :???:

jigs said:
these are valid points! we have tainted beef right here in the USA....only way to handle it is keep the border closed!

Now yer talkin'!!! I've said from the start, leave it just like it is right now. I like selling you boxed beef.
Now, I think you need to close the border to raw logs. The're infested with the asian pine beetle you know, you wouldn't wan't your pristine forests infested with that. So we'll process 'em here, and send 'em to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh... and about that raw crude.... :wink:

Keep the border closed until both countries have shown that they are BSE free-- that is what has historically been done with other diseases between nations and states-- (ex. anaplas and bluetongue)-- Then label everything as to Country of Origin and leave the decision up to the purchaser or consumer.........

Oldtimer said:
Keep the border closed until both countries have shown that they are BSE free-- that is what has historically been done with other diseases between nations and states-- (ex. anaplas and bluetongue)-- Then label everything as to Country of Origin and leave the decision up to the purchaser or consumer.........

So if we harmonize our testing practices with yours (quit testing 4D cattle), and miraculously don't find any bse for 4 or 5 years, then we get to be designated BSE free too? YAY

Latest posts