• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canadians: Who Cares about R-Calf Suit

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redcattle56

Reaction score
Canadians: Who cares about R-CALF suit
by Pete Hisey on 5/17/2005 for Meatingplace.com

With slaughter capacity approaching the 100,000 per week total that Canada needs to keep up with its cattle industry, and overseas markets starting to accept Canadian beef, Canada cattle ranchers are breathing a modified sigh of relief. The industry has lost nearly $7 billion since the United States closed its border to live cattle two years ago, but the worst appears to be over. "If we can get our slaughter capacity up to just shy of 100,000 per week, we can handle the numbers," said Stan Eby, president of the Canadian Cattleman's Association, told CanWest Interactive. In the first week of May, Canada slaughtered 88,000 cattle, and with expanded capacity about to come online at a Tyson plant in Alberta and new plants due to open this fall, capacity should reach 110,000 a week by November.

Additionally, Canada is optimistic that the new rules for exported beef being developed by Japan and South Korea in negotiations with the United States also will favor Canadian products, particularly since it beefed up its animal identification program by allowing producers to add date-of-birth to identification reports. Canadian economists estimate that Canada will export some $800 million worth of beef products to Asia by 2010, quadruple its total in the last full year of exports, 2002. The Asian market is highly coveted because of its taste for products like tongue, which has limited retail value in North America.

Our misery could really becoming, if real cowards win the box beef suit. We all could be looking for a used to be rancher site.

Klien is talking two years of legal wrangling.

CA

canadian angus said:
Our misery could really becoming, if real cowards win the box beef suit. We all could be looking for a used to be rancher site.

Klien is talking two years of legal wrangling.

CA

I've always said the worst thing about this whole situation is the uncertainty involved. If this was to happen, it would smart for a little while but we would definitely know that we needed to test and put a big push on marketing to other countries and building packing plants.

I agree with that one totally SASH. Keep the border closed, maybe even close it to boxed beef in the US and the powers that be up here would fast track testing and marketing to the countries that the US only wants to play the US's way with. I think we would become the competition almost overnight if R-calf wins permanent closure and/or gets boxed beef stopped.
Sounds bad at first, sounds good for later. Thanks for reading from Canada and have a good day all!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hopefully this short term pain will reap long term gain. Unlike some in the US (r-calf) that are more interested in "short term gain, for long term pain."

Was it the turtle or the hare, that won the race?

Anybody else have some analogies that fit?

whiteface said:
I agree with that one totally SASH. Keep the border closed, maybe even close it to boxed beef in the US and the powers that be up here would fast track testing and marketing to the countries that the US only wants to play the US's way with. I think we would become the competition almost overnight if R-calf wins permanent closure and/or gets boxed beef stopped.
Sounds bad at first, sounds good for later. Thanks for reading from Canada and have a good day all!

You are exactly right whiteface. If the border was closed to boxed Canadian product, testing would occur almost overnight. The "industry leaders" would be forced to do what major American packers fear the most and that is finally admit that the status quo isnn;t working and it is time to get serious about a long term solution instead of having faith in the American system.

Can you see Canadian packers importing northern fat cattle from Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota to fill the need to keep expanded Canadian packers at profitable levels?

Could it come to that?

And if it did, and one of those cattle was tested positive for BSE? Could you imagine that? How ironic would that be?!?

Actually been hearing a bit about Cargill's purchase of Better Beef this week and some of the reasons for it, pretty interesting to say the least!

Looks like they are setting themselves up to process more US cattle in Canada!

Can you see Canadian packers importing northern fat cattle from Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota to fill the need to keep expanded Canadian packers at profitable levels?

Could it come to that?

From what we're hearing up here, I can see that happening. With live cattle coming into the US in record numbers from the south and record amounts of beef coming in from the North, and plants working on only 3 day shifts within the US. New updated plants are going to be where the animals are killed I reckon.

Kato, at least we are working with a .75 dollar instead of a .63 dollar that we had on May 20th. What makes the Canadian dollar increase in relation to the US dollar anyway?

I think there are lots of reasons, interest rates, political problems, and the value of the American dollar relative to other currencies.

When our dollar was so low, the American dollar was very strong all around the world. It has slipped lately, which puts ours up. We also had Quebec issues weighing on our dollar at the time. Notice since the nonsense in Ottawa has begun lately that our dollar has dropped? Political uncertainty is a big factor. Maybe with Belinda crossing the floor, the dollar will move up again? :wink: Sometimes something as small as that can have an affect if it gives a feeling of stability. Bring up the separatist threat again, and the dollar will take another dive.

The money changers are just as fickle as anyone else out there, and we live with the results of their hunches and guesses about where to invest. :?

Well folks you can tell your grandchildren you witnessed the downsizing of the US Cattle Industry. You would think we would have learned something from the textile boys!!! If you think this is only going to affect packing house workers..............well you are pretty short in your thoughts. This will ripple all the way back to the three stores you have left in small town America! So much for leadership in the Beef Cattle Industry! :mad: :roll:

Sorry Cattleco. Maybe we'll all be selling everything that walks with the record highs you've enjoyed and the record prices we still have yet to enjoy with all the plants moving up here, then we can invest our huge profits in packer stocks! Haymaker don't hate me too much for that comment. I could turn into a packer lover if I started makeing packer profits! Thanks for reading and have a good evening from Canada!

Murgen said:
Kato, at least we are working with a .75 dollar instead of a .63 dollar that we had on May 20th. What makes the Canadian dollar increase in relation to the US dollar anyway?

The Canadian dollar is considered a 'commodity currency". High commodity prices, as well as budget surpluses and trade surpluses = high Canadian dollar.

I wonder how badly,they will want to ship cattle up here.With them knowing,that we are actually going to be looking for bse?And if we do find it in there cattle,that we aren't actually just going to sweep it under the rug,and watch it disappear?

Latest posts