• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

canning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Muratic

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
I hate canning. But I have to feed my family during the winter months too. :?

Does anyone have any helpful tricks of the trade, or really good recipies they are willing to share?

Beans are done. All the rest to go. Tomatoes are my least favorite. They are soooo messy. I have resorted to doing them outside and just carring them in to put on the stove. I know it sems a little late, but the garden was a little slow due to drought.

Looking forward to some replies.
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,632
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
my wife does lots of tomatoes doyou need a recipe for that /We need one for Dill pickles that a broken down rancher can handle..
 

Muratic

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
This is the pickle recipie I use.



Garlic Dill Pickles

1 qt. distilled white vinegar

3/4 C. pickling salt

2 qt. water

2/3 C. sugar

1 1/2 t. dill seed

1 1/2 t. celery seed

12 cloves garlic

12 sprigs fresh dill

5 pounds small pickling cucumbers, rinsed

Simmer vinegar, salt, water, and sugar in large non-aluminum saucepan.

In 1 sterilized jar at a time, place 1/4 tsp. each dill and celery seed, 2 cloves garlic, 2 sprigs fresh dill. Pack with cucumbers. Pour hot vinegar mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Cover with lids; screw on bands.

Process jars for 5 minutes; water should cover jars by 1 inch. Remove jars to rack to cool. Test seals. Store in cool, dark place for at least 6 weeks.
 
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I have an easy refrigerator dill pickle recipe, my son said they taste like "Clausens", I think they are better than that.

2 cups vinegar, ( white or cider)
11 cups water
1/2 cup pickling salt
dill
optional: garlic cloves, chili peppers

Boil first 3 ingredients 3 minutes. Cool. Pour over quartered lengthwise cucumbers, dill and optional ingredients. Refrigerate, will be good to eat in a few days.
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
YIPPEE!! My favorite subject!!!

I have an awesome Dill pickle recipe, the pickles I made were even better since we raised the pickling cukes, garlic, dill, and red peppers.

For 1 Qt dill pickles:
1/2 Lb 4-inch pickling cukes
Fresh Dill
1 Clove garlic
1 sm piece of small hot red pepper
2-1/4 C Water
3/4 C white vinegar
1 T pickling salt

Heat water and vinegar to almost boiling. Sterilize jars, pack cukes in jar, add dill, pepper, and garlic. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
 

alabama

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
Canning? I have started freezing more each year and with practice, it can be just as good as canning. Tomato’s get scalded and pealed. Then cooked, cooled and frozen in zip lock bags. They are just as good as canned.
Okra gets put in zip lock bags and frozen to be washed after thaw.
Peanuts are boiled and frozen.
Corn is frozen fresh on the cob or stewed and frozen.
Green beans get cooked or blanched before frozen.
I guess the only things I can any more are the pickles. I make only bread and butter pickles and will post the recipe for those that ask.
Peas (black eyed) are shelled and frozen.
Butter beans get shelled and frozen although I do cook some first.
Pecans get shelled and frozen. That is if we have any this year.
 

Twotimer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
north of Texas
who has a recipe for barrel dill pickles? we used to make them down in texas. yummy. crisper. as i remember, we let them sit outside.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,051
Reaction score
129
Location
Big Muddy valley
Twotimer said:
who has a recipe for barrel dill pickles? we used to make them down in texas. yummy. crisper. as i remember, we let them sit outside.


I believe it cause Haymaker sits out on his porch and gets pickled every night. :cowboy:
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Big Muddy rancher said:
Twotimer said:
who has a recipe for barrel dill pickles? we used to make them down in texas. yummy. crisper. as i remember, we let them sit outside.


I believe it cause Haymaker sits out on his porch and gets pickled every night. :cowboy:


Big Dummie hen pecked.

..........good luck
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
Big Muddy rancher said:
Twotimer said:
who has a recipe for barrel dill pickles? we used to make them down in texas. yummy. crisper. as i remember, we let them sit outside.


I believe it cause Haymaker sits out on his porch and gets pickled every night. :cowboy:

YOU GUYS..... :!: :!: :!: :wink:
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
Muratic said:
I hate canning. But I have to feed my family during the winter months too. :?

Does anyone have any helpful tricks of the trade, or really good recipies they are willing to share?

Beans are done. All the rest to go. Tomatoes are my least favorite. They are soooo messy. I have resorted to doing them outside and just carring them in to put on the stove. I know it sems a little late, but the garden was a little slow due to drought.

Looking forward to some replies.
Muratic,

I grow all the stuff I put in salsa - peppers, onions, jalepenos, tomatoes, and other hot peppers. I can give you my recipe for that, I also make spaghetti sauce, so all you have to do is brown ground beef, add the sauce and voila! Dinner! (With a salad and french bread). I've also made pizza sauce, tried making clamato (not very good) made tomato juice and this year I think I'll try making tomato sauce and paste. My tomatoes are just ripening, been eating them plain but probably by next week will have enough to can some.
 

shorthorn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
Location
southern indiana
Hanta Yo said:
YIPPEE!! My favorite subject!!!

I have an awesome Dill pickle recipe, the pickles I made were even better since we raised the pickling cukes, garlic, dill, and red peppers.

For 1 Qt dill pickles:
1/2 Lb 4-inch pickling cukes
Fresh Dill
1 Clove garlic
1 sm piece of small hot red pepper
2-1/4 C Water
3/4 C white vinegar
1 T pickling salt

Heat water and vinegar to almost boiling. Sterilize jars, pack cukes in jar, add dill, pepper, and garlic. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.


Hanta i would gladly take a jar of those off of your hands!!
 

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Texas
Don't know if ya'll grow black eyed peas up there but I've found the best way to freeze them is to shell em..and not wash them, put them in brown paper sacks and tape em shut with freezer tape. They never taste like they've been frozen, I've even had some that were almost freeze dried. By accident I found a package way back in the back that I hadn't cooked, I picked it up and it was as light as air, went ahead and cooked them to see what would happen.....by golly they was just as good as the day i put em up.
 

alabama

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Don't know if ya'll grow black eyed peas up there but I've found the best way to freeze them is to shell em..and not wash them, put them in brown paper sacks and tape em shut with freezer tape. They never taste like they've been frozen, I've even had some that were almost freeze dried. By accident I found a package way back in the back that I hadn't cooked, I picked it up and it was as light as air, went ahead and cooked them to see what would happen.....by golly they was just as good as the day i put em up.



I will try the paper sack next year. I alwayes used zip-lock and they seemed just fine.
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
shorthorn said:
Hanta Yo said:
YIPPEE!! My favorite subject!!!

I have an awesome Dill pickle recipe, the pickles I made were even better since we raised the pickling cukes, garlic, dill, and red peppers.

For 1 Qt dill pickles:
1/2 Lb 4-inch pickling cukes
Fresh Dill
1 Clove garlic
1 sm piece of small hot red pepper
2-1/4 C Water
3/4 C white vinegar
1 T pickling salt

Heat water and vinegar to almost boiling. Sterilize jars, pack cukes in jar, add dill, pepper, and garlic. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.


Hanta i would gladly take a jar of those off of your hands!!

Shorthorn,

I would most gladly share with you, I have dozens of quarts. So what's the "catch"? You have to come to my house to pick them up and we can meet you!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: 8) 8) 8)
 

Latest posts

Top