• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Can't be Good for Consumer Confidence

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

London, Ont. hospital fears 'mad cow'

By JOHN MINER -- London Free Press

London Health Sciences Centre president Cliff Nordal at a news conference, Dec. 5, 2006. (DEREK RUTTAN/LONDON FREE PRESS)

University Hospital has cancelled all surgeries, most medical procedures and diverted ambulances away from the site following the discovery of a patient who may have the human version of mad-cow disease.

The patient had brain surgery Nov. 30, leading to the possibility that surgical and other medical instruments may have been contaminated with the brain-wasting Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

A pathologist examining tissue samples alerted the hospital to the possibility Monday night.

Tests to determine if it is CJD will be completed later this week.

"I want to stress that at this point we are talking about a potential risk. We have not confirmed a diagnosis of CJD and therefore cannot confirm that any instruments were in fact contaminated," said London Health Sciences Centre president Cliff Nordal

Nordal said hospital officials are still adding up the number of patients that might have been in contact with contaminated instruments and it could be upwards of 1,500.

The hospital has opened a patient information line — 1-866-313-5528 — and posted information on its website: www.lhsc.on.ca.

If the diagnosis turns out to be CJD, it will almost certainly be the "classical type" and not the "variant CJD" that is associated with eating beef from infected cows, according to hospital officials.

"It would be classical CJD, almost for sure," said a hospital pathologist.

The disease, which is always fatal, hits about one in a million people.

The hospital's operating rooms will remain closed tomorrow and medical procedures requiring the use of sterile equipment will be suspended.

"As we learn more information we will make decisions (Wednesday) if necessary about the following day. This will be a rolling-out process," said Nordal.

Upon learning of the possibility of CJD, University Hospital staff removed all medical and surgical instruments from the hospital's sterile processing centre.

The number of instruments involved would be in the thousands, Nordal said.

The hospital is now looking to borrow instruments from other hospitals and obtain new disposable instruments, he said.

The instruments used to operate on the patient were sterilized following regular procedures, Nordal said, but CJD, which isn't entirely eliminated by sterilization, was never suspected.

"Had we suspected the patient could have had CJD we would have isolated those instruments," he said.

Chief of staff Dr. Ian Herrick said elective surgeries have been cut back at other London hospitals in case they are needed to handle emergencies that would normally have been accommodated at University Hospital.

"It does significantly reduce our capacity to address surgical cases," he said.

While University Hospital has cancelled all of its surgeries, it still has enough medical instruments left to look after patients in life-threatening situations, said Dr. John Denstedt, citywide head of surgery.

"For those patients with life-threatening injuries who are too unstable to transfer to the other hospital we do have the ability to look after them here," Denstedt said.

For the latest local coverage, read The London Free Press on the web or in print.

Oldtimer said:
London, Ont. hospital fears 'mad cow'

By JOHN MINER -- London Free Press

London Health Sciences Centre president Cliff Nordal at a news conference, Dec. 5, 2006. (DEREK RUTTAN/LONDON FREE PRESS)

University Hospital has cancelled all surgeries, most medical procedures and diverted ambulances away from the site following the discovery of a patient who may have the human version of mad-cow disease.

The patient had brain surgery Nov. 30, leading to the possibility that surgical and other medical instruments may have been contaminated with the brain-wasting Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

A pathologist examining tissue samples alerted the hospital to the possibility Monday night.

Tests to determine if it is CJD will be completed later this week.

"I want to stress that at this point we are talking about a potential risk. We have not confirmed a diagnosis of CJD and therefore cannot confirm that any instruments were in fact contaminated," said London Health Sciences Centre president Cliff Nordal

Nordal said hospital officials are still adding up the number of patients that might have been in contact with contaminated instruments and it could be upwards of 1,500.

The hospital has opened a patient information line — 1-866-313-5528 — and posted information on its website: www.lhsc.on.ca.

If the diagnosis turns out to be CJD, it will almost certainly be the "classical type" and not the "variant CJD" that is associated with eating beef from infected cows, according to hospital officials.

"It would be classical CJD, almost for sure," said a hospital pathologist.

The disease, which is always fatal, hits about one in a million people.

The hospital's operating rooms will remain closed tomorrow and medical procedures requiring the use of sterile equipment will be suspended.

"As we learn more information we will make decisions (Wednesday) if necessary about the following day. This will be a rolling-out process," said Nordal.

Upon learning of the possibility of CJD, University Hospital staff removed all medical and surgical instruments from the hospital's sterile processing centre.

The number of instruments involved would be in the thousands, Nordal said.

The hospital is now looking to borrow instruments from other hospitals and obtain new disposable instruments, he said.

The instruments used to operate on the patient were sterilized following regular procedures, Nordal said, but CJD, which isn't entirely eliminated by sterilization, was never suspected.

"Had we suspected the patient could have had CJD we would have isolated those instruments," he said.

Chief of staff Dr. Ian Herrick said elective surgeries have been cut back at other London hospitals in case they are needed to handle emergencies that would normally have been accommodated at University Hospital.

"It does significantly reduce our capacity to address surgical cases," he said.

While University Hospital has cancelled all of its surgeries, it still has enough medical instruments left to look after patients in life-threatening situations, said Dr. John Denstedt, citywide head of surgery.

"For those patients with life-threatening injuries who are too unstable to transfer to the other hospital we do have the ability to look after them here," Denstedt said.

For the latest local coverage, read The London Free Press on the web or in print.

Linked to BSE/Mad Cow in title but the text says "it will almost certainly be the "classical type" and not the "variant CJD" that is associated with eating beef from infected cows," Another example of an attention grabbing headline that doesn't fit the story behind it. :mad: :mad:

Oh, now Tam, you surely don't believe OT, that bastion of R-CALF common sense and honesty, would intentionally post something of such a fear mongering nature as that story, do you????

MRJ

MRJ said:
Oh, now Tam, you surely don't believe OT, that bastion of R-CALF common sense and honesty, would intentionally post something of such a fear mongering nature as that story, do you????

MRJ

MRJ- I know you wouldn't understand wanting to know what is happening out in the real world- since you prefer to see only what you want to thru your rose colored glasses...But this is an actual real news article, that was in an actual real newspaper, and has probably been read by many thousand actual real people (consumers)- and it can't be good for consumer demand- especially in Canada where it probably has a lot more coverage....Now personally I would rather know this is happening than your picture you see from your hole in the sand....

Now go back to your gin bottle and live in your rummy little world where everything is perfect- and we promise not to tell you any of the bad things to happen that might scare you.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Preliminary LHSC lab tests processed yesterday produced a negative result, meaning that a diagnosis of CJD is less likely.

Oldtimer, do you ever post follow up stories if they are different from the ones with the sensational headlines that you like to find ?

Wasn't there a"cluster" of CJD cases in the states awhile back. Can't remember where but wasn't there a racetrack connection?

Moose said:
Preliminary LHSC lab tests processed yesterday produced a negative result, meaning that a diagnosis of CJD is less likely.

Oldtimer, do you ever post follow up stories if they are different from the ones with the sensational headlines that you like to find ?

Yep when I know about them..

But we have a big problem with the world press that can't be helping consumer demand...Everything is being put out as connected to "MAD COW Disease"....I'll post another headline I found today- altho this one comes from medindia.com......

--------------------------------------

06 Dec 2006 Page 1
Juvenile Diabetes may Be Caused by Mad Cow Protein

Researchers from Ottawa Health Research Institute have found a protein that causes a brain wasting disease called Creutzfeld-Jakob can cause Type 1 Diabetes as it effects the regulation of glucose in the blood stream.

According to the team of researchers, there is no direct effect of the disease on the regulatory mechanism of blood glucose. The protein which comes in the healthy form in the blood is found as a twisted, deformed protein during the disease.

The research conducted on the protein which damages the brain is based on: what is the role of brain in regulation of glucose and how this effective mechanism is hindered.

In Fraser Scott's lab, OHRI the rats prone to diabetes displayed a few strange traits, molecules of prion protein aggregated in the beta cells of islets of pancreas. Destruction of these cells caused Diabetes.

Another thing noticed by them was that after 1-3 days of administering high doses of glucose in the blood of the rats, there was a dramatic change in the pattern of the proteins.

Machinery of the cell is composed of different proteins internally. Though it effects the regulation of blood glucose, the function of prion protein is not completely understood.

A Cell biologist, Scott explained the following in his lab to two people who gained the PhD recently. He said, 'This was an unusual coming-together, a cross-fertilization in our lab, of someone who had a background in prion protein biology _ that's Alex Strom _ and Gen-Sheng Wang, who has considerable expertise in the pathogenesis (beginning) of diabetes.' The two of them worked out a probable solution to this maze.

http://www.medindia.net/news/view_news_main.asp?x=16500

What we have is a problem with people taking BSE and blowing it all out of proportion for their own agendas. Some do it for the attention grabbing headlines to sell newspapers and some do it to pad their lawyers retirement funds. OLDTIMER Why don't you just read this fear mongering crap to yourself and toss it in the trash where it belongs, or better yet write the editor and inform them of the truth. but no you choose to bring it to the attention of even more, just to keep the misinformation flowing. :roll:

Tam said:
What we have is a problem with people taking BSE and blowing it all out of proportion for their own agendas. Some do it for the attention grabbing headlines to sell newspapers and some do it to pad their lawyers retirement funds. OLDTIMER Why don't you just read this fear mongering crap to yourself and toss it in the trash where it belongs, or better yet write the editor and inform them of the truth. but no you choose to bring it to the attention of even more, just to keep the misinformation flowing. :roll:

You're sounding like Maxine now Tammy-- if you don't have to see it, you think it will just go away and won't exist :???: Don't happen in the real world tho Tammy-- I'd hate to be around the year that Big Muddy finally tells you there is no Easter Bunny or Santy Claus.... :wink: :lol:

And Tammy since most of these are originating out of Canadian stories- why don't you ask your daddy or someone in the pull of the SSGA to write the editors for you....

Oldtimer said:
Moose said:

Would you care to tell us of the positive follow up stories you have posted that were good news regarding the beef industry. I sure can't remember any.

If some people spent as much time trying to build this industry with good news instead of trying to tear it apart spreading negativity we would all be better off.

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

You're sounding like Maxine now Tammy-- if you don't have to see it, you think it will just go away and won't exist :???: Don't happen in the real world tho Tammy-- I'd hate to be around the year that Big Muddy finally tells you there is no Easter Bunny or Santy Claus.... :wink: :lol:

And Tammy since most of these are originating out of Canadian stories- why don't you ask your daddy or someone in the pull of the SSGA to write the editors for you....

This is just another example of how you care about the truth Oldtimer. Spreading this attention grabbing headline crap for even more to see is no better than allowing your local butcher to take Product of Canada labels off and selling it as US beef because he has to compete. And I bet if my DADDY was alive he would be just as steamed as I am about an ex-so called lawman spreading crap about an industry that he made his living at.

And DICKY I don't care where it orginiated if you spread it around (with you own little digs added) you are no better than the misinformed idiot that wrote it so he could sell papers. You have spent way to much time throwing your dirty little digs at our industry for any of us to believe you just wanted us to know what the Canadian consumers might be reading from the Canadian media so we can correct them. I too would like to know what good news stories you have posted as I sure don't remember any either!!!!!!! :roll:

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

This is just another example of how you care about the truth Oldtimer. Spreading this attention grabbing headline crap for even more to see is no better than allowing your local butcher to take Product of Canada labels off and selling it as US beef because he has to compete. And I bet if my DADDY was alive he would be just as steamed as I am about an ex-so called lawman spreading crap about an industry that he made his living at.

And DICKY I don't care where it orginiated if you spread it around (with you own little digs added) you are no better than the misinformed idiot that wrote it so he could sell papers. You have spent way to much time throwing your dirty little digs at our industry for any of us to believe you just wanted us to know what the Canadian consumers might be reading from the Canadian media so we can correct them. I too would like to know what good news stories you have posted as I sure don't remember any either!!!!!!! :roll:

Yep- Just like some of the other Canucks (altho I have to admit its a declining number)-- you don't even want to admit to yourself you have BSE....It must be hell living like some people like you and Maxine do-- censoring your own mind from issues....Then to get around the issue you divert to other subjects or attack the messenger...

Personally I would like to know about this- so if it ever comes up in discussion at least I know what they're talking about- and the source...I guess Tam you can just give the famous dummies response--UHH!!... (transplanted Canuck response) :wink: :lol:

Sorry about misleading you about your Daddy- I was talking about Daddy BMR and the SSGA....Get him off his duff and do something positive for the Saskatchewan cattlemen he/they represent...

OHHH Thats right- you'd rather think these type things (articles) aren't happening :roll: :cry:

Good work, Tam! It is important to call fearmongers on their attempts to twist information to serve their agenda against Canadian cattle and beef, which necessarily culminates in being against Canadian people, the beef producers. Thank you for doing it so well.

Typically, OT responds to you with a personal attack, then tries to blow off his insult to your deceased father by a lame attempt to claim he was referring to your husband as your 'daddy'.

It just demonstrates how his equally vacuous and vicious mind responds to those with whom he disagrees.

MRJ

MJR, "It just demonstrates how his equally vacuous and vicious mind responds to those with whom he disagrees. "

Ummmmm........have you read any of SH's posts? :shock:

Sandhusker said:
MJR, "It just demonstrates how his equally vacuous and vicious mind responds to those with whom he disagrees. "

Yes, and most of his points are very factual and valid.......if one checks them out.

How on earth can anyone fault him for responding IN KIND to those who constantly say vicious things and call him vile names.?

Don't forget that his identiy was exposed by those who disagree with his stance against R-CALF, for the express purpose of putting his job in jeopardy.

It is easy to see, if one is honest, that he is much more maligned with less reason than those who fight with hime.

It's usually silly names that he calls others, while they are truly vicious. IMO, it does point up the shallowness of the attack squad. He focuses seriously on facts about the cattle beef industry, while they attack him with anything but facts.

And, before you ask or accuse......we are not related in any meaningful way, he is simply a family friend, and a good person who has spent several years dealing with family illnesses, yet still finds time to counter many outright lies about an industry he and my family both cherish our opportunities to be involved in.

MRJ

MRJ said:
Sandhusker said:

Yes, and most of his points are very factual and valid.......if one checks them out.

How on earth can anyone fault him for responding IN KIND to those who constantly say vicious things and call him vile names.?

Don't forget that his identiy was exposed by those who disagree with his stance against R-CALF, for the express purpose of putting his job in jeopardy.

It is easy to see, if one is honest, that he is much more maligned with less reason than those who fight with hime.

It's usually silly names that he calls others, while they are truly vicious. IMO, it does point up the shallowness of the attack squad. He focuses seriously on facts about the cattle beef industry, while they attack him with anything but facts.

And, before you ask or accuse......we are not related in any meaningful way, he is simply a family friend, and a good person who has spent several years dealing with family illnesses, yet still finds time to counter many outright lies about an industry he and my family both cherish our opportunities to be involved in.

MRJ

MRJ, it is that tribal view you have again. SH destroys himself with his own words. Go ahead and keep him in your tribe. You must need him to believe all the things you do. He does more harm to your tribe than you could imagine, but when did facts ever get in your way?

I sure hope SH doesn't lose his job because he is an idiot. Idiots need to earn a living too in order to keep off the public payroll. I sure hope he can earn his keep with his coyote hunting. He should not give up his night job.

MRJ said:
Sandhusker said:

MRJ

Factual and valid? Give me ONE example of a valid fact he has presented. Maybe you can get his $100 back for him.

He responds "in kind". Good grief, MRJ. Let's make a deal and have a little fun. We'll go thru the archives. For every name he has called somebody, you give me $1. For every name others have called him, I'll give you $2. Interested?

He exposed his identy. For a while, he was signing his posts with his name AND address. Don't tell us he was exposed by R-CALF people. He's put my name, address, and occupation out there several times - why was that? Drumming up business? That was pure punk.

I'm sorry, MRJ, I'm sure you're a good person and you mean well, but you're defending a complete idiot - a childish punk. This reflects on you as well.

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Moose said:

Would you care to tell us of the positive follow up stories you have posted that were good news regarding the beef industry. I sure can't remember any.

If some people spent as much time trying to build this industry with good news instead of trying to tear it apart spreading negativity we would all be better off.

An R-calfer do anything/or say anything to help the beef industry thats like Santa bringing me a million dollars for christmas :roll:

Latest posts