• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

career change .......... in a nut shell

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rowel

Reaction score
hey everyone , im back online again , i recently made a career change , i gave up my nail bags and the big money i was making ( when there was work) for a ranch job. i work for the jand n ranch in leavenworth kansas and we have another ranch in eskridge kansas, lets see where do i start, well this year has been a tough year for me , i have been looking for work all over and couldnt find anything long term, so i decided to look for a ranch job, the job i ended up getting is a hr from my family, i get a house, all utilities paid, ins , 401k, profit sharing , beef, and steady employment and a ranch truck and a ranch cell phone plus 24000 a year starting out , its a big change for me but my expenses have been cut drastically, the small herd of cattle i had is all but gone, i had registered hereford cows, calves and some cows and heiffers are in the bank and there is 8 cows waiting on a new home . well the place im working on has both registered and comercial cattle , we have a small feedlot that can hold about 1000 head , and we have roughly 250 head of registered cattle , and can turn out to pasture i was told another 800 head of comercial steers,so far the job is good, ive had one set back , one of my horses was killed , that wasnt a fun way to start my new career , i came home about 4pm , i was blading the driveway all was fine , came back home about 1 1/2 hrs later horses were gone ,well i went looking for em , found one hightailing it back to the barn the other i found dead on the side of the railroad tracks, my horse that came back was covered in bumps , only thing i could figure out was they found a bee nest and was stung , and one followed the other, needless to say i was feeling pretty unlucky is a very gracefull way of saying it.
last week we gathered steers and shipped em off, today we finished chopping silage, friday of this coming week we go gather pasture again and ship more steers.
anyways im staying busy and this is the first job ive had since ive came home from the Marines that i actulaly look forword to waking up too and going to work , soon we will be doing more horseback work wich im looking so forword too.
anyways , this is a big career change for me , i know i made the right choice, and the change is gonna take a bit to get used too, i finally got back online , this site was the first one i went too, ive missed reading the post and seeing the pictures you all have posted on here and hearing about the goings on in your operation .well i have a lot of reading to do and catching up see ya all later.

So sorry to hear about your horse. That is a really tough start to a new job.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have found a good fit for yourself. There's nothing better than getting up in the morning to go to the work you love.

All the best and I hope that's the last of the bad luck for you.

You made some smart decisions getting a job with bennies and selling your stock before winter,with money in the bank to boot!Good luck to ya' and welcome back.

hey thanks every one for the welcome back, i surely missed this site and reading everyones post and seeing the pictures, any ways right now i feel like im going through a crash course on handling cattle cattle on a large scale. soapweed your right this is being a wild ride and im enjoying it, this has been a total change of the way im used to working cattle and taking care of them. come saturday we will have shipped the last of our steers , and we will be brining home the cows from summer pasture on the 21st of oct, our claves our home and in our feedlot and are getting bunk broke.
the other hand on the ranch is a good person and im learning from him , the boss asked me if i would have a problem learning from someone younger than me when i was hired and told him no i wouldnt , and his knowledge is way beyond anything i knew.im just wishing i had more book and practical knowledge and cattle diseases and the diffrent drugs used for their treatment.again thanks for the welcome back

Latest posts