• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Casey Tibbs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I think this is true of most ranchers. Right Rancher.

Later in life, a reporter asked Casey if he ever planned to return to his South Dakota roots. "Nah" Casey said , "my blood has thinned to much to go back. Why, a good rain will keep those folks entertained for a week." :cowboy:

As dry as it's been here for the last several years, a good rain would keep us entertained for a whole month!

Casey still has a lot of relatives living not far from here. Pretty salty bunch too. His cousin Johnny Holloway and his family were just inducted into the South Dakota Rodeo Hall of Fame this fall along with Sam Olson, a relative of ours. Cowboy is the only word to describe any of the Tibbs family

I think you have it wrong. It's not Otter. Miles City is an old indian translation for miles from water. I heard John Pulasky say that MC set the new record for the dryest Febuary, with just a trace.

It's hard to feed cake in the blowsand over this way.

Liberty Belle's brother in law has it summed up about right. He say's the whole country is "turds and dirt".

Back in the homestead days the oldtimers called a South Dakota storm"wind,horse **** and tar paper! It's beautiful now but could get back to that but with a lot less horse **** and no tar paper!

I went to college with one of Casey's great-nephews. He said that his family always said of Casey "He was a great bronc rider but he sure never did much work" he thought the folks thought Casey being a rodeo star was about like running away and joining the circus.

SD has Casey Tibbs, Montana has Benny Reynolds.

Our daughter high school rodeoed with Rooster Reynolds, Benny's son and both Rooster and Benny came and team roped with us. They are good guys and a lot of fun. I always said "too bad all the ropers can't be like Benny and Rooster". Everything was always ok, and when we figured the payouts, Rooster would get on the mike and entertain everyone. It was a hoot.

I suppose you all have heard the story of when Benny Reynolds was on "What's my line" on television many years ago. That's where they give you clues as to what different people do and the contestants are to guess who you are and what you do. This particular time they played the National Anthem and asked Benny what that song meant. He replied "BRONC RIDERS GET READY."

Liberty Belle said:
As dry as it's been here for the last several years, a good rain would keep us entertained for a whole month!

Casey still has a lot of relatives living not far from here. Pretty salty bunch too. His cousin Johnny Holloway and his family were just inducted into the South Dakota Rodeo Hall of Fame this fall along with Sam Olson, a relative of ours. Cowboy is the only word to describe any of the Tibbs family

LB I believe Johnny Holloway is a nephew of the late Casey. Wasn`t Johnny`s mother Murphy a sister of Casey? You are correct about the Tibbs family being all"cowboy". Short Log was a classic old time cowboy and also a gentleman.

EJ, You're right. I tend to get the Tibbs relatives scrambled about as bad as my own! Casey's nephew (or grand nephew?) Shawn Tibbs went to college and rodeoed with my oldest boys, as did his sister Neilie. They are also first cousins of the Gilbert boys, Pine, Denver and Matt, who are close neighbors of ours and pretty darn entertaining to have around.

FH, Yes, he's already out there. Hope he does well. He's a good kid. He graduated from high school with our daughter and with the "real jake". You'd expect anyone as goodlooking as Denver to be egoistical about it, but he's never been that way.

I am Casey Tibbs' Great Nephew. My Grandpa Ancel Tibbs was Casey's brother. Its weird to see people on here talking about my relatives, such as Shawn Tibbs, Johnny Holloway, and Shortlog. I don't know who you are Liberty Belle, but we prolly know each other, or atleast heard of each other, especially if you know the Holloways and you knew Shortlog and Murphy....I was honored with what you said about "Cowboy" being the only word to describe the Tibbs Family. I have two sisters who live in northwest SD, as well as many other relatives. Most of the Tibbs family has held onto the western, cowboy, and rodeo life style. I am the 4th generation of Tibbs kids to have "grown up" and lived on the land originally homesteaded by Casey Tibbs parents - Father John and Florence Tibbs. My parents and brother still run the ranch. I went to the same little one room country school as Casey, and all of his brothers and sisters, my grandpa included. My dad also went to that school. Anyway, this is a neat site...just stumbled across it and thought I'd throw my two cents in. I'm 25 and moved from South Dakota to Texas about 3 years ago just to get out of there for a while and see some other parts of the country. I now live in Midland, Texas, and its dry here to guys! But Texas is always hot and dry. The winters are certainly nicer down here in Texas, but the scenery, climate changes, and even the smells aren't anything like South Dakota! I'll be back up north in due time!

Welcome, TX Tibbs. Glad to have you with us and thanks for your contribution of some Tibbs family history! Be sure to stick around!

It's a big, wide world out there. Lots to see and do~good to do it while you are young. Just what are you doing while you are in Texas?

Hey there "faster horses" you replied quick! HA. I work for the USDA-NRCS (natural resources conservation service). I graduated in December of 2001 from SDSU in Brookings, SD. I moved down here in June of 2002 to my first duty location in a little town called Eldorado, Texas. You may have actually heard that name before since it has a LARGE cult building up right outside the town! Its a group of polygamists, and is really going to destroy the small town of Eldorado which has around 2000 people. Eldorado is on the Western edge of the Texas Hill Country, and is about 45 miles South of San Angelo, Texas. I liked that town....great people, great weather and I was on the volunteer ambulance service there and I really miss that. In september of 2004 my job moved me to Odessa, Texas, but I opted to live in Midland and drive to Odessa every day. Midland is 10 times better than Odessa. I don't like it up here so much cause Odessa/Midland is on the edge of the Trans Pecos Desert of Texas. Hot, dry, windy, and smells like oil field!!! The producers (ranchers) i work with are all nice people, so can't complain about them. Your in South East Montana? I have a good friend (college buddy) who ranches in Wibaux, Montana. I wanna make the Miles City bucking horse sale, but don't know if I will....its the 1300 miles that makes me think twice!!! I miss the north country, especially now when i call home and my parents tell me about calving, stuff blooming and things like that. Texas just isn't the same! Ok i prolly am boring you stiff, and give you a lot more information and took up more of your time than you expected. Take care!

Not boring, at all, TXTibbet. Interesting. Let us know more! After all you are in the town that was home to George W. Bush in his younger years.

Who is your friend at Wibaux?
I hope your folks are getting some moisture there in South Dakota!

You can probably educate some of us on the ways of the NRCS. There are so many programs out there. Now there is a new one called Conservation Security Program. Lots of paperwork to apply for that one, (sigh). It is to reward landowners for what they HAVE done in the way of conservation on their places, the way I take it. I don't think I will have time to fill out the necessary paperwork. Might be lucrative for those that do make the time. What do you know about that progam, if you don't mind me asking? Doesn't it have something to do with replacing subsidies here in America, as Europe works it~similar to what the government is trying to put in place here.

And why are we trying to copy Europe in this 'subsidies vs. no subsidies' that seems to be going on now. I can't believe our government thinks Europe does things better than we do. Seems like Europe should be copying us since it is US who has been feeding THEM.

I honestly couldn't tell you much about CSP. it is one of our programs, but we don't have it in our area and so we haven't been given much training or anything on it at this time. But your right....it pays a certain amount to producers and I believe it is based on what they have done in the past. I agree totally with you on your last paragraph.

I'm gonna send you a PM so check them...I don't know how they work ;)

HI there TXTibbs., Since I started this post about Casey I guess I should check in. I is neat to hear from you. I think Casey has been my cowboy hero forever and I thought the quote I posted fit in so well with all the dry we have been having as of late. I know Texas is a big place but watch out for a old codger from Borne by the name of Haymaker , he's a mean old cuss.
Again am glad you stopped by Ranchers and come back often.

Last fall, I had opportunity to stop at the 1880 Town near Murdo, SD. They have a building called the Casey Tibbs room. It contains much memorabilia of Casey Tibbs, and was a very interesting place to spend a couple hours.

I really enjoyed the movie that Casey Tibbs produced entitled "Born to Buck." He also made another movie later. My dad and I were walking down the streets of Rapid City when Casey was premiering one of his movies at the Alex Johnson Hotel. He was at the door welcoming fans to come and watch. We shook his hand and visited with him for a few minutes, but had another appointment so couldn't take him up on his offer. Wish that it had worked out to watch the show with him.

I've been to the 1880 town in Murdo, SD. Clarence Hullinger is the man who owns the place. I'm not sure if I spelt the last name right, but he is a nice man. I believe he is prolly about 90 something by now. Casey was a colorful man. He was either your friend or your enemy, really no inbetween. he loved pranks and would pull them on ANYONE. Born to Buck was a good film, and the other one is entitled "The Young Rounders"...and to be honest i've never seen this one, but seen movie posters of it and it sounds like it would be real interesting. It had Slim Pickens in it. Both of them movies were filmed near the original homestead northwest of Pierre, SD. To bad ole Cancer had to strike!! Casey could still be pulling pranks! Here is an interesting poem about Casey that Blaine Norvold wrote. Blaine Norvold is a great guy...writes some great poems...and was Casey's friend!

A TRIBUTE TO CASEY TIBBS

- for the Tibbs family by Blaine Norvold (written January 30th, 1990)

The coyotes are howling mournfully,
Across the Dakota plains today,
For they have sensed their companion
Casey Tibbs has passed away.

As wild and cunning as the coyote,
As free and spirited as the horse,
He played life's game to the fullest
And left it with little remorse.

He rode many an outlaw bronc,
Knowing anyone could be his fate.
But when they brought in Old Cancer,
His nod would be the last at the gate.

Loved by the people world over,
Idolized a lot by more,
Took time to talk to people of all races,
Creed, color, the rich, or poor.

Yes, it was cowboy legends like Casey,
A cowboy who paved the way,
That encouraged the younger cowboys,
And made rodeo what it is today.

You entered a lot of cowboys Lord,
And you'll enter a whole lot more,
But the one you entered today is special,
His fees are paid I'm sure.

Tell the boys to pull 'em down,
And pull 'em down real tight,
Cause they got some competition,
Casey Tibbs is entered tonight.

When you crack the gate for Casty,
You better open it wide,
for Tibbs has entered in heaven,
And he came here to ride.

Yes, the coyotes are howling wildly,
On Mission Ridge they say,
For World Champion Cowboy Casey Tibbs,
Was layed to rest today.

-Blaine Norvold

Kinda sends shivers down my spine just to read that. I can remember when Blaine read that at Casey's funeral. Neat poem!

Latest posts