• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Casey Tibbs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

One prank that Casey loved to pull, was to try and run over hitch-hikers with his big Cadillac convertible. He would howl with laughter when the pedestrians would dive for the ditch just to survive. One time, one of his buddies donned a long trench-coat and posed as a hitch-hiker carrying a suitcase. The suitcase was filled with bricks. When Casey tried to run over the man, the suitcase was "thrown" in front of the car as the hiker dived for cover. When the car hit the bricks, the result wasn't good. It kinda cured ol' Casey of that particular habit.

TX Tibbs,
This is makeing the world real small. You went to SDSU at the same time as my son. Your friend at Wibaux was a grooms men at our son and daughter-in-law`s wedding along with Boe and 2 other`s you may not know.

Send some rain up to this country.
EJ

This is getting to be a trip down "memory lane". Jud Norvold I believe was a brother of Blaine. He was a real good bronc rider, whose life was tragically short. I believe Jud was also in the Born to Buck movie. I just watched it again this past winter. And the story about Casey and the hitch hikers made me laugh as hard as the first time I heard it decades ago.

EJ, I'm assuming your son is Keith and his wife is Donna!! Yes i know them both! Hung out in college a lot. I think you'd be his dad anyway, possibly? I know boe and i'm sure the other guys to. wow yeah, small world. I just seen keith at my Wibaux friends wedding last October. Made the treck from Texas to be in his wedding in Montana. Its amazing who knows who if you just talk to people huh?

Blaines' a friend of mine and a good poet. He was in the movie "Born to Buck" and tells some great stories about the filming of the movie and happenings. I need to give Blaine a call and visit. Thanks for prompting me!

When Blaine was invited to Elko for the big gathering, he told me "I hope they don't put me in a room with that Hank Real Bird. He's a Crow and I'm Lakota so we are mortal enemies. I'd probably have to kill him."
Then he laughed real hard. I know both of them and get a kick out of both!

Another good one from Blaine is, "I'm half Lakota and half Norwiegen and my wife is full blood Navajo. You don't want to make our kids mad!" And again a laugh from him.

Hey TXTibbs whats your brother up to? I haven't seen him since we graduated college way back in 92. He could tell some interesting stories if you got a few beers in him.

I was raised near where Shortlog lived at Ridgeview. Knew him well...he was a neat old time cowboy. Spent several summers in my younger years with Bernie Tibbs..who taught me to think like a cow. lol.

I didn't know shortlog extremely well, but have heard many stories about him and would recognize him in any picture! He was a unique man who lived an old time cowboy life. He worked on the large Diamond "A" Ranch that used to spread across the Chyenne River Indian Reservation in north-central South Dakota. Most of John and Florence Tibbs' boys did. My grandpa used to break and ride their horses, but wasn't actually employed by them so wasn't in the books that way. Casey Tibbs broke many of their horses. I believe Kirk Myers was the last survivor of the Diamond "A", but he died in 1999 or so.

I'm gonna start a Diamond "A" Ranch forum....

I saw that you have been talking about Casey Tibbs and the movie "The Young Rounders". My dad is from up around Ft Pierre SD and was actually IN that movie. I would love to get my hands on a copy for him. Any ideas on where I could purchase this??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I left out that my dad grew up around Casey and has very fond memories and lots of stories about him so it would mean alot to me to be able to find this movie for him, plus, it'd be fun to see him (my dad) in his movie star days. haha

If you find a copy...make me one!!!!! One of Casey's other movies "Born to Buck" has came out on video and it can be purchased on e-bay or lots of places, but I haven't ever seen The Young Rounders anywhere. Like I said...if you find out something let me know!!!!

I talked to my dad and he told me that he talked to one of his old friends from SD last year and was told you can't get a copy. Apparently it's never been converted from reel-to-reel to VHS format so there is no way to see it unless you can get your hands on the reel-to-reel and have access to a projector or whatever you would have to watch it on. :( Guess I should have talked to him first. :) He has Born to Buck already, but I really wanted to get the Young Rounders for him. Plus, I'd love for my son to be able to see his "Poppy" as what he was as he's no longer a working cowboy and this would have tickled my son to death. Oh well. I wonder who I could call about this........

TXTIBBS~I was reading thru the old posts as I find this website SO interesting. I read your post about it being weird to hear people talk about your relatives. It's weird for me to read this because my whole life I've heard about Short Log and that Holloway guy and Casey and Ansel Tibbs. I told my dad that that Holloway guy's name was on here and he told me he used to spend alot of time with him. My dad went to school at Mission Ridge and I saw mention of that, too. Very cool website. I'm so glad a stumbled across it.....

bobbie_storrs said:
TXTIBBS~I was reading thru the old posts as I find this website SO interesting. I read your post about it being weird to hear people talk about your relatives. It's weird for me to read this because my whole life I've heard about Short Log and that Holloway guy and Casey and Ansel Tibbs. I told my dad that that Holloway guy's name was on here and he told me he used to spend alot of time with him. My dad went to school at Mission Ridge and I saw mention of that, too. Very cool website. I'm so glad a stumbled across it.....

Explain to me a little more who your dad is? School at Mission Ridge...i know my family knows u then. My family still lives there. I've heard the Storrs name if that is your last name....can't think of first names, but my dad knows them. let me know...if not here then in a private message.

Latest posts