• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cat payloader ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I talked to the Cat parts man to other day and he said the transmission used 30w transmission/Final drive oil and the Hydraulics used 10w hydraulic oil.

We used to get TFD oil from Case but in our 970 that was TFD and hydraulics.

On our JD we use hydraulic oil in the transmission and hydraulics.

What is the difference?

I use the universal ( hi priced ) hydrolic oil that says cat approved on the bucket for the transmissions, brakes, and hydrolics

It has come down some but is about $29.00 per 5 gallon bucket.

At TSC it comes in either 10 W or 30 W - - - if you use the 30 W it is a little cheaper but you might end up with hard starting in the cold months! I got some of the 30 W by mistake once and put it in the 310 JD backhoe hydrolics one winter and it was hard to start and hydrolics worked hard for about the first 5 minutes after an over night set. I called the dealer and was told it would not hurt the machine but I pulled it out to keep from burning up a starter.

My 980 Cat manuals call for 30 W above 70F and 10 W below 30 F but I just keep 10 W in year around as the dealer In Indianapolis recommends it unless you get enough hours on a machine to require changes more than once a year.

In keeping that on hand I use it in the John Deere equipment, Komatsu, Cat and BobCat. My old 840 Allis Chalmers loader I use Dextron in the transmission as it is a 1972 model and that is what the manual calls for.

Boy, if I could get ANY kind of oil for $30 a pail I'd think I had the world by the tail with a down hill drag :shock: Hard to get anything for twice that here :?

It was in the $55.00 range last year but has been working back down - - - diesel is back down to about $3.60 a gallon - - - Was $4.50 last year.

George said:
I use the universal ( hi priced ) hydrolic oil that says cat approved on the bucket for the transmissions, brakes, and hydrolics

It has come down some but is about $29.00 per 5 gallon bucket.

At TSC it comes in either 10 W or 30 W - - - if you use the 30 W it is a little cheaper but you might end up with hard starting in the cold months! I got some of the 30 W by mistake once and put it in the 310 JD backhoe hydrolics one winter and it was hard to start and hydrolics worked hard for about the first 5 minutes after an over night set. I called the dealer and was told it would not hurt the machine but I pulled it out to keep from burning up a starter.

My 980 Cat manuals call for 30 W above 70F and 10 W below 30 F but I just keep 10 W in year around as the dealer In Indianapolis recommends it unless you get enough hours on a machine to require changes more than once a year.

In keeping that on hand I use it in the John Deere equipment, Komatsu, Cat and BobCat. My old 840 Allis Chalmers loader I use Dextron in the transmission as it is a 1972 model and that is what the manual calls for.

So you use 10w in both hydraulics and transmission?
I use JD Low Vis hydraulic oil year round in my 7400 and 7420. I guess it might work OK :?

Yes the oil I use is "compatiable" with JD Low Vis hydraulic oil- - - - I would only use the higher viscosity oil if I was further south as I don't change every spring and fall so I feel the low viscosity is best for me. This was after taking to the dealer.

My foster son works as a mechinic for John Deere and is afraid if I used the hevier oil in the transmissions that in cold weather I might have slipping clutches untill warm up.

Silver said:
Boy, if I could get ANY kind of oil for $30 a pail I'd think I had the world by the tail with a down hill drag :shock: Hard to get anything for twice that here :?

Our cheapest oil is now $40 a pail and just keeps creeping up I may need to stop at TSC Fargo next time thru.

Latest posts