• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle drive photos

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
We brought 370 cows home this morning that had been at a neighbor's place since last June.

Gatheringtheherd.jpg

Gathering the herd
Homewardbound.jpg

Homeward bound
HomeJames.jpg

Home, James
SaddletrampandPeachBlossom.jpg

Saddletramp and Peach Blossom passing the time
Asaddlethroughthesoapweedyhills.jpg

A saddle through the soapweedy hills
SlewSaddletrampandsoapweeds.jpg

Slew, Saddletramp and soapweeds
Mypartner.jpg

My partner
Theroadhome.jpg

The road home
BridgeoverBearCreek.jpg

Bridge over Bear Creek
Waitingtheirturn.jpg

Waiting their turn
Hifolks.jpg

Hi folks
Bridgeoveruntroubledwater.jpg

Bridge over untroubled water
YellowstonePeachBlossomandSaddletra.jpg

Yellowstone, Peach Blossom and Saddletramp
SoapweedandPeachBlossom.jpg

Soapweed and Peach Blossom
Drinksareonthehouse.jpg

Drinks are on the house
Bellieduptothebar.jpg

Bellied up to the bar

Wonderful pictures as always Soapweed, I especially like the one's of ya'll and the sign. That's what I like so much, somethin different and unexpected. Neat Neat Neat!!!
Looks like you all had just as clear a day as we had today.
thanks for sharin'

This might sound stupid but if I don't ask I won't know - - - can the cows eat soapweeds or are they a pest to you??? They sure look plentyful if they are a feed source

These pictures are great. We've got such a small operation here that our "drives" from one field to the next only require a bucket.

How neat to see a big cattle herd moving across open spaces!

Thanks for sharing.

George said:
This might sound stupid but if I don't ask I won't know - - - can the cows eat soapweeds or are they a pest to you??? They sure look plentyful if they are a feed source

Cows can eat soapweeds, but usually they don't. It is more a wintertime feed source than summertime, although the pods that bloom in June are very tasty to livestock at any time of year. In fact, the pods are the first thing that cattle eat in a fresh pasture, no matter when. They are high in protein, and the cattle can get a bit "loose" when this is a part of their diet.

As far as eating the green sharp spikes of a soapweed, they are kind of a last resort type of diet. The real secret to eating them is to have nothing but Hereford cows, and feed 40% cottonseed cake as a protein source. The cottonseed cake must give a burning sensation in the bovine belly, and causes them to seek out soapweed roughage to counteract the burning. When I was a kid, it was not uncommon to see Herefords pass up good grass to go seek out soapweeds. I also think cattle have to be "trained" and starved to a certain extent to get them to eat yucca. Breeds other than Herefords seem to be too fussy to fully appreciate this plant.

I guess I look at yucca as neither an asset or a detriment; they are just a fact of life in the Sandhills. Some of the old-timers regard them as an insurance policy--when everything else is covered up, the cows won't starve to death as long as there are soapweeds.

See I learned a little something today - - - I doubt I will ever have the need of this info but it helped my courious mind!

Great pix, soapweed!!! Sure would like to come along someday and see your country!! Sure is pretty...blue skies and good company...does not get any better than that!! :D

Latest posts