• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

?--Cattle handling

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nd

Reaction score
I just bought some new pasture-and looking at corral ideas--do u know if anyone sells a portable loading chute with panels on the sides(kinda like Soap's blue trailer but with a loading chute on the trailer) and since its Sunday with no sales--how much $ are those titan west portable systems, ww wheeled corral systems, or those stampede systems--just looking for ideas, prices, etc

I am young enough :wink: to handle the panels to set up. I am not sure I want to build a corral in this pasture as i rent numerous other places too. Just looking for ideas on gathering corral NOT working systems(tubs, alley, and headgate).

I have plenty of portable panels that I have been using--I just need more. Thanks

GoodpanelhaulingtrailermadebyScottM.jpg

Good panel hauling trailer, made by Scott Manufacturing of Gordon, NE

It is much harder to load corral panels in the middle of a portable chute than it is onto a panel cart. Get a hitch with a two-inch ball installed on the back of your panel cart, and then pull behind a portable loading chute. Our loading chute is adjustable so it can be used for loading semis or for loading stock trailers, and this feature comes in quite handy.

Stroburg builds a set up I like. Panels load on the side of the Loading Chute as well as in the chute if needed. The bottom is a solid bar the length of the panel so that it can slide instead of bending as some of the ones that stand on legs. Mine are 20 + years old.

http://www.strobergequipment.com/

Vern's panels are my favorite. Not terribly heavy and reasonably stout. No panels are cheap to buy anymore by any means. Vern's has always appealed to me as reasonably strong at not such an outrageous price. You are young so go at least 12'. At my age and working alone much of the time I prefer 10' panels. :wink: :D

Vern's also makes a loading chute that will haul panels and a panel hauling trailer. I have no experience with either.

Stur-D should be popular in your neck of the woods as they are based in ND. I have no experience with Stur-D panels but I've been around enough other Stur-D products that I'm sure they are stout. Neighbors have a Stur-D loading chute. It is a very nice well built chute and works well for loading/unloading cattle.

I realize you are not considering purchase of a tub and alley. I'm just going to mention that a local business here in the area rents a Stur-D tub/alley unit out by a daily rate. Tub rental is really becoming popular in portable setup situations by both new and well established operators. I believe it costs $150/day. Another business in another town similarly rents out a Vern's tub/alley on a daily charge basis. A similar arrangement might be available in your area.

The only thing I have to say against the Stur-D loading chute is pulling it down the highway is a ..... well, let's just say it will cause you to say a few swear words. :oops: :oops: :oops: Don't even attempt to pull a Stur-D chute at highway speeds or you likely will end up in the ditch. For some reason when they designed this chute the axle is centered too much with not enough weight on the hitch. The axle needs to be placed rearward at least a foot for better road manners. BTW, the chute has a nice rubber torsion axle with heavy 6 bolt hubs and 16" tires. They just mounted it in the wrong place.

Here are some links:

Vern's Mfg panels/loading chute/panel trailer: http://www.vernsmfg.com/panels.html

Stur-D loading chute: http://www.stur-d.com/Products/loadingChute/tabid/96/Default.aspx

Stur-D portable cattle panels: http://www.stur-d.com/Products/PortableCattlePanel/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Shortgrass, is Stroberg the outfit that built a loading chute with a tandem axle back in the 50's? Chute and panels were an aluminum/silver color? That name sounds really familiar.

I just purchased a rawhide coral system this year and it set me back $14,000 it was the best investment I made in awhile. I really looked hard a the titan system but I didn't like the way you unfold it, but i did like the spot for a four wheeler if you use one. I think its a strong built thing but alittle more labor involved with setting it up compared to the rawhide one.

I know Daniels Mfg. out of Ainsworth Nebraska makes a set of portable chutes along with the panels. We have the panel carrier along with the panels from daniels dang things are heavy and well built and with one guy loading and unloading those things can make the day go a hell of alot longer though . My dad was a salesman for them at one time and I think they had onel that had the coral panels on the outside of the chute.

thanks all--we have vern's feeders-kinda forgot about them as nothing came up on a search i did--I should just walk around the yard instead of doing business on a yahoo search engine :oops:

I second the rawhide corral. We bought one last year..and it ended up setting us back $12,000. Great people to work with, they sent their son from Kansas to Dallas to deliver it to me. Could not be more pleased with the people or the corral....I chain a priefert squeeze to the front of it when its in alley setup, and we work em all up a fenceline into it. Works like a champ.

Only 1 word of caution on the rawhide....park it inside where everyone in town wont know you have it. Once the word is out that you have one, folks come out of the wood works to borrow it.

I'm scared to find out how much shipping to Maine would be, the rawhide caught my eye.

Ben H said:
I'm scared to find out how much shipping to Maine would be, the rawhide caught my eye.

Make a vacation out of it and come pick it up yourself. :D

I'm sure it would tow fine down the interstate and through the big cities. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts