• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle Market

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jake

Reaction score
Sure has taken it in the shorts the past week. Sure makes a guy wish those calves standing in the lot were in somebody elses lot already. Guess you can't be right every time.

Jake said:
Sure has taken it in the shorts the past week. Sure makes a guy wish those calves standing in the lot were in somebody elses lot already. Guess you can't be right every time.

Mine went 2 weeks ago got along great that day but elsewhere the slide had began.

IMO it will pick back up after the first of the year but who knows. Maybe time to double down and load the boat.

Nicky said:
What do you think bred cows are going to do after the first of the year?

See no reason for them to change significantly unless people grass situation starts to change heading towards grazing season.

I'm wondering if the Bred price right now is fueled by enthusiasm and taxable income. :?

Wonder if this feeder and fat market stays soft if it won't slow the bred prices as well. :???:

Big Muddy rancher said:
I'm wondering if the Bred price right now is fueled by enthusiasm and taxable income. :?

Wonder if this feeder and fat market stays soft if it won't slow the bred prices as well. :???:

I'm still in awe that we can describe fats in the $150's and feeders in the $210's as "soft". Although the higher priced feeders were also locked in on higher fat prices. Still, I agree with you on both accounts BMR, particularly on future bred prices. If those breds have to pay for themselves with $1100-$1300 feeders vs the $1500-$1700 and up from this fall, it adds 1-2 years onto the break even.

I sold my calves last week averaging 705# and got $2.20 for mixed steers and heifers.

They have been weaned about 2 months and had been worked for 2 weeks - - - knew all about feed bunks. Sold to the same man that has bought them for over 10 years.

I kept 3 heifers back - - - at these prices I probably should have sold but I have never been accused of being smart.

This cattle market is in such a turmoil that our Western Livestock Price Insurance Program stopped selling policies today. :shock:
I had seen $2.30 coverage for $6.20 the other day and then it was $11.00 for
$2.22 on feeder cattle. Today they won't sell you any protection. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
This cattle market is in such a turmoil that our Western Livestock Price Insurance Program stopped selling policies today. :shock:
I had seen $2.30 coverage for $6.20 the other day and then it was $11.00 for
$2.22 on feeder cattle. Today they won't sell you any protection. :?

Thats says alot right there!

I think someone on here suggested a hedge at these prices about a month ago. With all this cheap corn and modern genetics, feeders will extend market weights. Only thing gonna save us now is belly deep mud in the spring.

Price insurance on 850 lb feeders is $5.12 for a $2.12 coverage for March 16 right now. That's for Manitoba/SK This is the last chance to get insurance before January. They shut down over the year end. It's been on their calendar all year, so I doubt it has anything to do with the current market.

There are some who would like to see a softer market, and we suspect there will be all kinds of monkeying around before sales start up in the new year to try and cheapen it up a bit. Will it work? Who knows. The cattle numbers aren't getting bigger any time soon, so barring the whole economy taking a nosedive, the fundamentals aren't any different, imho.

That being said, we didn't buy any feeders this fall, for the first time in more years than I can count. We will just have to take our chances with the 80 of our own that are still to sell.

Not going to lose any sleep over it.

Kato said:
Price insurance on 850 lb feeders is $5.12 for a $2.12 coverage for March 16 right now. That's for Manitoba/SK This is the last chance to get insurance before January. They shut down over the year end. It's been on their calendar all year, so I doubt it has anything to do with the current market.

There are some who would like to see a softer market, and we suspect there will be all kinds of monkeying around before sales start up in the new year to try and cheapen it up a bit. Will it work? Who knows. The cattle numbers aren't getting bigger any time soon, so barring the whole economy taking a nosedive, the fundamentals aren't any different, imho.

That being said, we didn't buy any feeders this fall, for the first time in more years than I can count. We will just have to take our chances with the 80 of our own that are still to sell.

Probably the right move not digging into feeders this fall. I guess a person at some point of time could hedge a profit/break even but I for one didn't see the opportunity of the year before. I still have all my calves as I usually sell the light hfrs in March, breed the top end and grass the steers. Maybe I would have been better to sell the strs but taxes make some of the decisions. :?
I'm considering growing my cow herd and selling the strs at weaning. Just winter my hfrs. Might lighten the work load but then I'm starting equipment for less cattle. :???:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Kato said:

Probably the right move not digging into feeders this fall. I guess a person at some point of time could hedge a profit/break even but I for one didn't see the opportunity of the year before. I still have all my calves as I usually sell the light hfrs in March, breed the top end and grass the steers. Maybe I would have been better to sell the strs but taxes make some of the decisions. :?
I'm considering growing my cow herd and selling the strs at weaning. Just winter my hfrs. Might lighten the work load but then I'm starting equipment for less cattle. :???:

Yeah, but look at all the fun you're having.

Recreating costs money. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you should trade the steers dollar for dollar for some nice looking heifers?
Down side can't be much worse and the sky's the limit on breds.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, It's money you really didn't have so why worry about it. Hind sight is twenty twenty. Buying bred cattle now is crazy. I'd like to see those $4950 hiefiers pencil out.

Latest posts