• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle Oiler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ya in our oilers and rubbers we run a mixture of a mineral based oil, a touch of kereosene in cold weather and
cylence and it seems to work very well

thanks for the reply , an old timer was telling me he mixed a bit of vegatable oil with a bit of diesel, i also heard of citronella, but that seems pretty expensive :?

my old neighbor used diesel fuel and creolin...course he uses creolin for everything...

citronella oil is pretty potent stuff...I think a little would go a long way.
I can vouch for citrus workin for fly spray...use lemon MR. Clean mixed down with water on the hosses when the flies are bad.Works pretty good.

I'd think the other stuff would be added to the diesel...it's the vehicle for whatever yer usin with it.makes for affordable(used to)volume.
it's a light oil that coats and doesn't evaporate.
I'm gonna mix up a batch of diesel and citronella and try it.I have a jug of citronella oil for those bug candles kickin around.Can't hurt to try...

"Used to" is right! $5. gallon diesel...still, it's cheaper than commercial insecticide. What proportions do you use for the mix?

Daryl & Angel's Farm said:
:???: What is a cattle oiler?

It is a large "sock" that you soak with insecticide and hang up for the cattle to rub on to get rid of biting flys during the summer.

Here is a picture of ours, we have since rebuilt it so that the mineral barrels are mounted on the rear axle.

cattleoiler%20resized.jpg

Robert said:
Daryl & Angel's Farm said:
:???: What is a cattle oiler?

It is a large "sock" that you soak with insecticide and hang up for the cattle to rub on to get rid of biting flys during the summer.

Robert, what do you soak your oiler with?

Normally just use diesel and Permethrin insecticide. did find a 30 gallon barrel of kerosene when cleaning out a corner in the shed the other day. It is at least 25 years old so will probably use that to dilute the mix this year.

Big Muddy rancher said:
NMCowboy said:
Motor oil that you drain out of your tractors, trucks, etc works just fine and it doesn't cost anything.

It's got some lead in in it plus other additives.

Diesel fuel has additives from the refinery added to it as well. BASF makes chemicals to reduce the static, detergent additives, lubricity additives, dyes, so as far as I can see its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

It works for me but, as always, your mileage may vary.

NMCowboy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
NMCowboy said:
Motor oil that you drain out of your tractors, trucks, etc works just fine and it doesn't cost anything.

It's got some lead in in it plus other additives.

Diesel fuel has additives from the refinery added to it as well. BASF makes chemicals to reduce the static, detergent additives, lubricity additives, dyes, so as far as I can see its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

It works for me but, as always, your mileage may vary.

I buy a oil called Faxum that can be used in "Food grade" equipment to use as a carrier.

I never have had much luck with oilers. I have tried them where cattle hang out in the trees, around the mineral, in panel gates to get water, but I still have fly problems. Seems like the "sock" dries out quick and then when they do use them there isn't anything left.

Anyone else fought these issues, or is it working and just hard to tell.

Of course in our swamp and irrigated pastures, it's hard to get good control on the flies with the ground being wet.

I usually just put them in the pens or have the dogs circle them up and spray ectiban on them.

With a small herd like mine ( I culled down to only 16 head with last years drought - - - will move back to about 50 if the right deal comes along) I feed mineral with insect growth regulator in it and spray any time the need comes ( about once or twice a week)

After the cattle get used to the spray they don't mind. I will call them to the gate to transfer to new pasture and while they mingle at the gate I will spray them then turn them to the new grass so they get used to seeing me with a back pack sprayer and think what a treat they are getting. I know I have them spoiled but as I said I rarely have over 50 head so it is easy to get to know them and get rid of any that cause problems - - - soon the ones left are the ones you enjoy working with.

Latest posts