• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle oilers fly control

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cows101

Reaction score
Whats every one do for fly contol? Lewis oilers or what works for you. Flys are getting bad already its only june :???:

I bought a buzz off oiler and am happy with it so far. Only had it a few weeks, it seems to stay wet with permetherin. It is a tank that has slots cut 3\4 the way up on the sides and is covered with a heavy felt and cotton wick. When the tank is rocked it wets the felt and runs down the wick. I also do fly tags on the calves.

rightwinger82

I just thought I would tell you I really like your signature.

"I know the Lord wouldn't throw anything my way I couldn't handle, I just wish He didn't trust me so much!"

With some of the trials I've come thru my mother used to tell me the Lord was making me stronger with each one and I would reply " I should have become Superman by now!"

We poured everything as they went to grass donkeys included they seam pretty clean but I haven't noticed much for flies. Mosquitos on the other hand are pretty plentiful.

my lewis oiler seem's to work pretty good...when it works,which is about 20 % of the time...man what a tinkertoy pos :x

4Diamond said:
We used long range wormer this year, real happy with the fly control from it so far.

There are label restrictions when using this product. Just making sure those who read this are aware of them.

The product is script so it is only available through a veterinarian. It costs about $1/cwt so most cows are going to get a $14 de-wormer, Efficacy wise it is Eprinex and we know that Avermectins are effective about 55% of the time. It has a fairly restrictive label in that it is not to be used in intensive grazing situations, on pregnant cows or on breeding bulls. It also has a 48 day meat withdrawal. On controlling flies, look at the label claims, they have no fly control on their label. So to say it controls flies is misleading.

That being said, 4Diamond, I'm happy it is working well for you.

Do some research, attend some meetings on it. I've read all the how's and why's and I'm telling you it so far has made a huge difference. Other's are seeing similar results. Might not last but currently we are very happy.

It's no higher than igr mineral here, also shop around it can be bought worth the $$$$

4Diamond said:
Do some research, attend some meetings on it. I've read all the how's and why's and I'm telling you it so far has made a huge difference. Other's are seeing similar results. Might not last but currently we are very happy.

It's no higher than igr mineral here, also shop around it can be bought worth the $$$$

Now I really am curious. Where is the research that states it will control flies? What is in it to control flies?
I tried to research it in regards to fly control and could not find anything. Where did you get the idea that it can control flies?
I'm not trying to be difficult, but anyone can SAY anything. I hope it can control flies, but I fail to find anything that says in
black and white that it will.

So do you shop around with different veterinarians and some give a better deal? That is interesting.

As for it being no higher than IGR mineral....we are talking apples and oranges. Mineral is not a dewormer( unless it contains Safeguard and you can deworm a 1400# cow with that for about $5.00) and LongRange wormer is not a mineral. :???:

I was born in Missouri and you have to SHOW ME.... :lol: :lol: :lol: I see you ranch in Missouri. Beautiful state!

Faster horses said:
4Diamond said:

Now I really am curious. Where is the research that states it will control flies? What is in it to control flies?
I tried to research it in regards to fly control and could not find anything. Where did you get the idea that it can control flies?
I'm not trying to be difficult, but anyone can SAY anything. I hope it can control flies, but I fail to find anything that says in
black and white that it will.

So do you shop around with different veterinarians and some give a better deal? That is interesting.

As for it being no higher than IGR mineral....we are talking apples and oranges. Mineral is not a dewormer( unless it contains Safeguard and you can deworm a 1400# cow with that for about $5.00) and LongRange wormer is not a mineral. :???:

I was born in Missouri and you have to SHOW ME.... :lol: :lol: :lol: I see you ranch in Missouri. Beautiful state!
I have heard several reports of LongRange having good fly control. It isn't labeled for flies so the company can't promote it. The reports I have heard are from users of the product, not the promoters.

I'm telling you my experience it has knocked our flies way back. I was told they can't say it has fly control because it's not labeled for it as rem_243 said but they are working on it.

Yes I've seen vet prices range $80/bottle. Salebarn vet where I do business bought $100,000 worth so he has a very nice price on it.

I give dewormer and I give mineral. It's either pay more for mineral with Igr or try this product that seems to be working. Cost me about the same either way.

Ok. I get it, I think. There is no research that proves it controls flies. There is no ingredient listed on the label to control flies. The people selling it told you it controls flies, and you are seeing less flies after using it. If it pleases you, great! We all want happy customers.

We have one clews palliser oiler. It work good for the cattle that use it. Not sure if some don't like to rub it are to dumb or just don't get a turn and don't want to be left behind when everyone goes back out to eat. We give ours a few pellets and then spray them when flys get bad.

Didn't use long range but the ones who used it on both cows and calves are seeing awesome fly control and right now are 60 days out from date of injection. But I am told you have to use it on both cow and calf to get these results.

eatbeef said:
Didn't use long range but the ones who used it on both cows and calves are seeing awesome fly control and right now are 60 days out from date of injection. But I am told you have to use it on both cow and calf to get these results.
We used it on both.

I only gave it to the cows, which was not what most have done. It is not labeled for calves, although I know many that use it on calves. It has made a huge difference in the flies here. Our cows aren't bunched up fighting flies when everyone else's are. The calves don't seem to be fighting flies either. I am a little worried about the repercussions to the bugs in the soil that utilize the manure, but have not seen where it is a negative effect yet. It seems expensive until you look at what it will take to pay for it, 4 lbs of gain on the calves or one pregnant cow/100 hd. I guess we will see this fall if we think we got the bang for our buck.

Latest posts