• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle or Grain?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Well, here's the situation. Dad is selling all his cows because the heifers he could retain do not throw consistent calves. He started on Simm/Angus bred heifers. Over the years he's used Angus bulls, Simmental bulls and Salers, with a simmental/Angus bull up until a few years ago, so there's alot of diversity in the herd. I am planning on selling all my Angus females with all of his. There's one or two good ones in there, but am not a fan of their performance out there. I'm keeping my purebred Shorthorn cow, and my brother is keeping one of his Angus cows so we still have freezer beef. So here's my question to you, if you had 15k, all the equipment already here, and hay put up for the winter, would you put it back into cattle or would you put it into the ground and rent a quarter section? Am in need of a new truck, but figured I better put it into something that will make me money, not spend it for me ;)

Have considered going to the auction and buying some heifers and some steers, feed the steers out, get the heifers on a good feed plan, thin out the ones I dont like, breed the good ones and throw the misfits into the feed pen and send them away too. What does everyone think? Like I said, ive got all the equipment and help I would need for either way.

If I had 15K, I'd prob'ly go to Branson! On a more serious note, only you can answer that question. Where is your heart? Do you like cattle best, or would you rather play in the dirt? Follow your heart.

How is the job hunt in the oil patch going?

It does seem to make sense to have some cattle when you are farming because of the by products of grain farming. You should be able to run some cows and utilize chaff piles and fence rows. you could seed some land down for swath grazing.
Like Shortgrass says where is you heart, what do YOU want to do?

Who will do chores when you get a job 300 miles away? :?

Decisions, decisions. :lol: :lol:

The oil patch is paying $80,000 a year for truck drivers and more for other jobs according to what I read about Williston, ND. Probably similar on your side of the border. Save your 15 grand and go make a bunch of cash at a job like that for a year or two while you are young. It would give you a heck of a start at doing whatever you want later on.

It went alright, had a few phone calls, but none of them would give me my cousins wedding off so Im still at home, trucking grain for the most part.

I'll be pulling my money out of it in two years when my brother graduates. We're planning on going to Olds at the same time, and I figured why invest my money in someone I dont know, when I could either make or loose my own money with no middleman.

The patch sounds good, but being from small town saskatchewan I see what happens out there, money changes a man. A very good friend of mine went out there, one of the smartest kids you know, now he's messed up in all kinds of things, because money gave him power and he couldnt tell the difference between a good and a bad decision. I'll do it to make money to put myself through school, but I want no part in it other then that unless I've got my own rig up there.

With favourable prices for calves and culls right now, some cow/calf pairs are trading comparatively low.........pencil out buying pairs, feed up your hay and sell grassers and culls next spring......just a thought. Gives you more time to consider your future!

I think bred heifers next fall are going to be a hot ticket even paying $750 a head right now you might have another $500 in them I bet they'll be worth $2000 each 13 months from now.I only like farming to feed my ranching habit (COWS)

Latest posts