• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle owner true story

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hay Feeder

Reaction score
This story actually happened last week.
A cattle owner was in our local feed store asking what disease he had in his cattle as he told that he only had 9 calves out of 29 cows this year. He was convinced he had blackleg in his cows. The feed store manager told him maybe he should vaccinate his calves as well lol . Then he was told to vaccinate his cows for vibero lepto. One man told him maybe you have trich in your bull. The man replied back very strongly I do not own a bull they cost to much but I let my neighbors bull in once when he wants to
Then the cattle owner thought for a minute and asked the feed store manger what shot do I need to protect my cows from my neighbors bull if he has a disease. He said its ok with me if the neighbors bull breeds my cows I just do not want them to get a disease
Later that same day a man that sells bulls got a call from the same guy asking what was the cheapest bull calf he had that to breed
Notice I said a cattle owner not a cattleman or rancher

Not sure what the rules are in that situation but in Canada it is illegal for FEED STORE STAFF to practice veterinary medicine. Way back when I was a pup working behind the counter we could SELL penicillin but not prescribe it. Later in my career our vet and I had an agreement. He promised not to practice beef nutrition and I promised not to do any C-sections on farm!!! :wink:

DB Cooper said:
Maybe the neighbor helped him out in that department as well.

You beat me to it

I can scout her out down there but what if she has blackleg herself
Updated he went to the best vet around and told the same story
I told this to some in county so called cattle owners they said that's normal so why did he spend all that money on vaccines

Lol what's bad this is NOT a joke

Reminds me of the story of the new guy that bought a ranch. That fall he goes over to his neighbors place and complains that he hasn't got any calves. The neighbor says how many cows you got? He says, "200". The neighbor asks "how many bulls you got?" The new guy says "none." The neighbor says, "That's your trouble. You gotta have bulls to have calves."

So next fall rolls around. The new guy goes back over to his neighbor and says, "I still don't have any calves." So the neighbor goes over to the new guys place and takes a look.

What he finds.......the new guy now has 200 bulls.......... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

True story, gentleman was buying cubes from the feed store in central texas, had 20 or so cows. Been feeding and watching for over a year. Asked the store manager when to expect calves, reply was " when did you turn the bull in".
Answer----don't own a bull, you have been sell g me those 20 percent breeder cubes, so I didn't need a bull.

Other story, man buys 20 heifers and 20 bulls.

Latest posts