• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cattle pictures 7/4/12

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
3 year old
1003.jpg

2 year old
993.jpg

Bull calf we are thinking about keeping, born march 12th, what do you guys think about him
1008.jpg

1016.jpg

1011.jpg

A couple of the yearling heifers
1000.jpg

995.jpg

Some of the cows
996.jpg

1006.jpg

1024.jpg

1025.jpg

1026.jpg

Calves all are march and april born
1017.jpg

1007.jpg

1001.jpg

999.jpg

1034.jpg

1018.jpg

Faster horses said:
Pretty nice Angus pairs!
As for the bull calf, he looks right now to have a high tailhead.
Other than that, he's probably fine. I just try not to choose a
bull with a high tailhead cuz I don't want to get that started in
my cows.

Great minds think alike. :wink:

Thanks for the photos ACB.

I could sure live with those cows, and dang sure wish I had that feed right now.

Just to sound like a smart arse, I'll throw the BS flag on that high tailhead analysis and say that I think that calf is a stud. I'd need some further data to indicat that it's actually high. I really don't mean that in a mean-spritied way, but that's the way it's gonna sound. :shock: I'd seriously consider keeping him from what I can tell from photos. Good on you and keep up the good work! Thanks for the pics!!

High Plains said:
I could sure live with those cows, and dang sure wish I had that feed right now.

Just to sound like a smart arse, I'll throw the BS flag on that high tailhead analysis and say that I think that calf is a stud. I'd need some further data to indicat that it's actually high. I really don't mean that in a mean-spritied way, but that's the way it's gonna sound. :shock: I'd seriously consider keeping him from what I can tell from photos. Good on you and keep up the good work! Thanks for the pics!!

The bull calf looks good to me, too. I'd keep him intact, as he is sure a beefy rascal. One thing about a tailhead that is a bit high--on a cow, it is up out of the way which allows a calf to be born easier. :wink:

Nice green grass-- not seeing much of that these days in Iowa

Reason for concern on the high tailhead is GENERALLY it means that the skelital structure on the animal is not designed for easy calving and potential issues with retention of fluid, etc post calving on the females. In the case of this bull calf, look at the slope he has from hips to pin bones-- would anticipate that he would be fine.

If you like him, keep him. Its your cowherd. Generally, you are likely to be breeding him to his paternal sisters as a yearling bull-- if there is anything in the pedigree that would give you and issue--you might want to give that a consideration as well.

Latest posts