• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cawboy hat questions

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Put it up until Labor Day. Old school rules are: Wear straw after Easter - Felt after labor day. Anything else and those who are not "wannabes" will know all their is to know about ya.

Put a few dried horse turds in your pocket for the aroma. With the right hat, you'll pass off.

MD11 said:
codymccue said:
blacks a poor choice for keepin cool in the sun,might haveta shoot some vent holes in it...
black does hide the tractor grime better tho...

Good point, but I both love the color, and don't really expect to wear it in very hot weather anyway.. I am thinking about doing the vent holes, I wonder were I can get that done correctly here in Phoenix?

Don't know about Arizona but around her seems the folks wear beaver or felt from 1st frost to Easter and then straw hats after that during the hotter months. When you get that pretty black hat don't ever clean it...let the dust settle on it and then you'll look like a real rancher. :)

TexasBred said:
MD11 said:
codymccue said:
blacks a poor choice for keepin cool in the sun,might haveta shoot some vent holes in it...
black does hide the tractor grime better tho...

Good point, but I both love the color, and don't really expect to wear it in very hot weather anyway.. I am thinking about doing the vent holes, I wonder were I can get that done correctly here in Phoenix?

Don't know about Arizona but around her seems the folks wear beaver or felt from 1st frost to Easter and then straw hats after that during the hotter months. When you get that pretty black hat don't ever clean it...let the dust settle on it along with a few toothpicks in the string around the crown and you'll look like a real rancher. :)

Sorry to disagree with you, TexasBred, but it seems to me many of the 'real' ranchers and cowboys were trained by their mothers at very young ages to take care of their hats and all other clothing.

That training included cleaning their clothing and all items of their gear, right down to polishing their boots which not only makes them look nice, but preserves the leather, as best they could because money was/is hard to come by and everything had to be worn as long as possible then handed down to someone else.

Maybe most importantly, it showed pride in ones upbringing by observing at least minimal social graces, such as bathing, combing your hair, table manners and saying "please, thank you, yes maam, no maam", etc. which most families, no matter their circumstances, prided themselves upon once upon a time!

Intended more kindly than it may sound, but the 'ranch grunge' look just doesn't set will with this granddaughter, daughter, mother, and grandmother of REAL COWBOYS and GIRLS. There's no shame in getting dirty as the job necessitates, only in not doing ones best to clean off some of the evidence before going to town!

mrj

mrj said:
Sorry to disagree with you, TexasBred, but it seems to me many of the 'real' ranchers and cowboys were trained by their mothers at very young ages to take care of their hats and all other clothing.

That training included cleaning their clothing and all items of their gear, right down to polishing their boots which not only makes them look nice, but preserves the leather, as best they could because money was/is hard to come by and everything had to be worn as long as possible then handed down to someone else.

Maybe most importantly, it showed pride in ones upbringing by observing at least minimal social graces, such as bathing, combing your hair, table manners and saying "please, thank you, yes maam, no maam", etc. which most families, no matter their circumstances, prided themselves upon once upon a time!

Intended more kindly than it may sound, but the 'ranch grunge' look just doesn't set will with this granddaughter, daughter, mother, and grandmother of REAL COWBOYS and GIRLS. There's no shame in getting dirty as the job necessitates, only in not doing ones best to clean off some of the evidence before going to town!

mrj

no offense ma'am but my chore hat would plain disappear if I was to attempt a cleaning...I'm certain that the only thing holdin it together is the mortar built outta sweat and dust.
I do keep my town hat brushed purty tho... :wink:

Could be, however, the old cowboy on this homestead had one that couldn't have gotten more 'cowboy crud' on it if someone drug it through a branding corral all day.

It was a favorite, and very well made expensive when new hat. He mailed it to The Mans Hat Shop in Albuquerque, NM and some time later it came back almost good as new.

He's had others done and some come out better than others, and some hats just get cut up for 'parts' for who knows what.

A friend tried putting one through the dishwasher, but it resulted in a rather limp and odd shaped kid sized hat he gave to his grandson who wore it proudly for several years.

One year, I got a request for an old knocked about cowboy hat from a young college coed relative who wanted it to wear to the prom at her upscale school. I cleaned up one a bit and mailed it to her. Her sad reply was that it was way too small and she was sorry she forgot to tell me her head was at least a size 8. Unfortunately, no one around here had anything bigger than a 7 and 3 eights. So she was thrilled when I said she did have our permission to just use it as decor in her apartment.

What stories cowboy hats could tell! Even better than if walls could talk, is my guess!

mrj

Mrj, I definitely agree with you 100%....... but you are talking about real working cowboys also. Seems these days it's dirty hats, tall boots with the jeans tucked in them and a scoal ring on your hip pocket. That, a bale of hay in the back of the truck and a hot shot on the gun rack makes you a 21st century cowboy. :wink:

TexasBred said:
Mrj, I definitely agree with you 100%....... but you are talking about real working cowboys also. Seems these days it's dirty hats, tall boots with the jeans tucked in them and a scoal ring on your hip pocket. That, a bale of hay in the back of the truck and a hot shot on the gun rack makes you a 21st century cowboy. :wink:

Yes all you old drug store cowboys have twisted logic about western life style,stick your pants in your boots,stick an A&M bumper sticker on you car and you are a instant expert.

Ben Johnson wore the same Ol Greasy Band Hat in movies as he wore Daily/Rodeos

Don't fear CHEEP Straws (Mexican Import Stores) have some nice ones for less $$$ and I don't fear Blood or the occasional cow stomping of them...

I have my good Hats and the other ones I prefer...

Often heard around here.
You gona wear that Ol Thing?
You Bet!

Duds don't make a Cowboy!
A real Cowboy Makes the Duds!

WHITEHAWK said:
TexasBred said:

Yes all you old drug store cowboys have twisted logic about western life style,stick your pants in your boots,stick an A&M bumper sticker on you car and you are a instant expert.

Hawl, roflmbo...not a cowboy here. Don't own a hat nor tall boots. But definitely got and A&M Former Student Assn. sticker and proud of it. Must admit tho that I've never been an expert at anything, but I do recognize drugstore cowboys when I see them.

TexasBred said:

you mean they wear their chore hats to town? :shock:

I gotta admit...I tuck my jeans in...when I'm wearin rubber boots :wink:

per said:
Buy one that feels good when you put it on and that your spouse likes. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Better to be a wannabe than a not at all.
Well said! But once yu find it-don't let anybody touch it-It is one of them rules?

Latest posts