• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

CDN Government gives $50,000,000 to C-CALF.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Reaction score
AAC: Minister Mitchell Announces $50 Million for Aggressive Marketing Campaign for Canadian Beef

OTTAWA, ONTARIO, Mar 10, 2005 (CCNMatthews via COMTEX) -- Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Andy Mitchell today announced a $50 million contribution to the Canadian Cattlemen Association's Legacy Fund to help launch an aggressive marketing campaign to reclaim and expand markets for Canadian beef.

The fund will support the market development activities of the Canada Beef Export Federation, the Beef Information Centre and the Canadian Beef Breeds Council.

"The uncertainty created by the closure of many borders, including that of the United States to Canadian live cattle, makes it imperative that we accelerate our efforts to regain and expand our markets," said Minister Mitchell. "Through the Legacy Fund, the industry and governments will work together to launch an aggressive marketing campaign to increase exports and reduce our reliance on any one single market."

The contribution responds to a request by the Canadian Cattlemen's Association (CCA) for governments to jointly support a 10-year market development fund, the Legacy Fund.

The marketing campaign is expected to generate more demand for the increased slaughter capacity that is being developed through Canada's Repositioning the Livestock Industry Strategy, announced on Sept. 10, 2004. The Strategy is helping ensure the viability of the sector by increasing domestic slaughter capacity, by providing financial support to the sector as that capacity comes on line and by increasing effort to access international markets.

Another priority for the Government is increasing slaughter capacity in Canada. Farm Credit Canada (FCC) will be the first of what is expected to be a number of lenders to deliver one of the strategy's key programs, the Ruminant Loan Loss Reserve Program. With additional funding of $17.1 million announced for the program in the recent federal budget, a total of $54.6 million is available in the reserve to support loans for building and expanding small and medium-sized ruminant slaughter and processing facilities that will increase Canada's slaughter capacity.

At their March 3 meeting in Ottawa, federal, provincial and territorial ministers of agriculture vowed to continue their efforts to normalize trade between Canada and the United States, and to increase access to other international markets. They also agreed to maintain the current set-aside programs under the Repositioning Strategy and to monitor the situation so that measures continue to respond to industry needs.

"We will continue to make every effort to get the American border re-opened for live ruminants but we are also stepping up our efforts to reposition our industry so that it can thrive whether that particular border is opened or closed," said Minister Mitchell. "Continuing to meet the needs of producers through this difficult period is a key priority for the Government. Our best position is a united one and we will continue to work with industry and governments on next steps."

The Government of Canada remains committed to the expansion of foreign markets while supporting the domestic marketing initiatives of all producers.

This is the best news to date out of this whole issue. It is exactly the type of initative and action necessary in an increasingly protectionist market.

BTW, I buy locally grown apples.... that tri-colour flag doesn't help much around here...........

Sandhusker said:
I wonder if they will promote Canadian beef in particular or just beef in general...... :wink:

Maybe read the title again, Sandhusker............."AAC: Minister Mitchell Announces $50 Million for Aggressive Marketing Campaign for Canadian Beef"

Is this another checkoff slam?

:roll: Actually it's American mutinational beef sourced from Canadian cattle. Increased packer capacity in Canada so far has been mostly mutinational. May be good news for exports, but I wish we had a bit more Canadian investment in packing plants to go along with it.

Do you think Ted Haney will have a new private Jet SASH? :p

Bull Burger said:
Sandhusker said:
I wonder if they will promote Canadian beef in particular or just beef in general...... :wink:

Maybe read the title again, Sandhusker............."AAC: Minister Mitchell Announces $50 Million for Aggressive Marketing Campaign for Canadian Beef"

Is this another checkoff slam?

You're pretty quick on the uptake, BB! Must have somebody night calving for you!

By the way, I'm FOR the checkoff.....just would like to see a little more common sense tweeked into it.

Do you think Ted Haney will have a new private Jet SASH?

One thing you can always count on with the corporate boys is when you are down and in a real bind, they will always have their best interest at heart. :wink:

Randy maybe you can remember, how much did ralf kline give to find new markets? Was it 32 mil?

"Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Andy Mitchell today announced a $50 million contribution to the Canadian Cattlemen Association's Legacy Fund to help launch an aggressive marketing campaign to reclaim and expand markets for Canadian beef. "

:shock: I gotta wonder if the Liberal Govt. is planning on funneling that $50 million advertising dollars through Liberal friendly advertising agencies.... Naw!!! I'm probably just paranoid. It's not like they've ever done anything like THAT before....... :roll:

I gotta wonder if the Liberal Govt. is planning on funneling that $50 million advertising dollars through Liberal friendly advertising agencies.... Naw!!! I'm probably just paranoid. It's not like they've ever done anything like THAT before

well if they are from Quebec there might only be a few million dollars left to do any advertising with!!!

Sandhusker said:

Sounds to me like a big WTO dispute in the making-- Canadian government can donate 90 million to promote Canadian beef and trade, including the funding of their packing industry, but the US can't even use the money collected from US producers to promote US beef..... Sounds about right for WTO and NAFTA.........

Oldtimer said:
Sandhusker said:

Sounds to me like a big WTO dispute in the making-- Canadian government can donate 90 million to promote Canadian beef and trade, including the funding of their packing industry, but the US can't even use the money collected from US producers to promote US beef..... Sounds about right for WTO and NAFTA.........

You neglected to mention that our "packing industry" is basically American owned. Your whining of subsidies is hypocritical while American agriculture enjoys some of the largest government handouts in the world.

Bill said:
Oldtimer said:
Sandhusker said:

You neglected to mention that our "packing industry" is basically American owned. Your whining of subsidies is hypocritical while American agriculture enjoys some of the largest government handouts in the world.

The checkoff dollar is basically from the US too- but USDA attorneys advise it can't be used to promote US beef... But if the Canadian government puts $90 million into promoting Canadian beef and trade, I'll bet someone down here finds a way to change that........Except first Canada will have to label it as a Canadian product and not ride on the backs of the US producer and donating to the US owned packers with the USDA label.......No one in the world knows they have ever eaten "Canadian beef"... Its all US since it packs the USDA label......

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Oldtimer said:

The checkoff dollar is basically from the US too- but USDA attorneys advise it can't be used to promote US beef... But if the Canadian government puts $90 million into promoting Canadian beef and trade, I'll bet someone down here finds a way to change that........Except first Canada will have to label it as a Canadian product and not ride on the backs of the US producer and donating to the US owned packers with the USDA label.......No one in the world knows they have ever eaten "Canadian beef"... Its all US since it packs the USDA label......

We pay check off just like you. Who pays for your Governor to go on trade mission ect. Not your check off. This will be used to set up trade offices ect.

oldtimer, sandhusker and all the other protectionist's here....

My understanding of this 50 mil. is that it is for expanding canadian beef markets. We don't need to expand our beef markets to the US cause it is a shrinking market on the down turn. We are going after China, North Korea (just to piss you off) and anyone else that wants to have the safest, best beef in the world.

What I find interesting, we do what you want, then you want more. First thing you both said was the Canada needs to find its own markets, and not just export to the US. Thats what we are doing.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
Bill said:

We pay check off just like you. Who pays for your Governor to go on trade mission ect. Not your check off. This will be used to set up trade offices ect.

Our Governor can promote all the US beef he wants to--But its all generic beef since Canada keeps riding on the back of the USDA label- US beef is what everybody thinks they've had.......

Except for now I see the Montana house passed the MCOOL law- might not hold up- might be more figurative than substantial, but like one of the legislators I talked to said---He didn't think the law could be enacted without federal backing, but his constituents were 100% behind it and he said that the USDA's present position is a marketing fraud......

Country of Origin Labeling has been 90% of the split between the US cattle organizations and the US with Canada-- if it was taken care of much of the differences would dissolve...

Talking today after the sale with one of the MSGA members- our county used to have over 125 MSGA members- today they have 25, but they now have over 95 R-CALF members, most of those are also the 25 stockgrower members-- I wasn't aware of the number switch because I quit MSGA after they required NCBA membership to belong and I didn't back NCBA's flipflop on COOL-- anyway he told me that the main reason most had left was the MCOOL issue.....What is wrong with each country requiring that the product they produce be lableled as to where it comes from?

Market today was good for the cow/calf guy- scrub lots of 500 lb. steer calves were just under $700 head---And that was with a short run and few buyers on the seats...... All the feedlots that were part full waiting to see if cheap Canadian calves would come south to fill them, now reallize it may not happen.......

Country of Origin Labeling has been 90% of the split between the US cattle organizations and the US with Canada-- if it was taken care of much of the differences would dissolve...

I doubt that very much. You are already whining about 50 million dollars being spent to develop our own markets which earlier you said we should go out and get. Yes NCBA flipflops but they aren't the only ones prone to that.

I have all the confidence in the world that if a package of tested Canadian beef is in a meat case beside a package of American that it will be the Canadian beef purchased the majority of the time especially outside North America.

Looks like Canada/Alberta is going to be the NEW CATTLE FEEDING FRONTIER!! I wonder how many R-Calf members will feed in Canada?

Congratulations on Canada stepping out and getting agresive.

One bit of advice, make sure the producer is a big part of spending decisions. I really liked the slant on funding available to upgrade smaller plants to federally inspected.

One other bit of advice, the same as I keep for the US, remember why certain countries aren't importing your beef. If you continue to blame it on trade tactics and politics, you will be behind the race.

Asian countries tend to be very picky about their food. The ban is consumer driven. You ave to make the consumer confident to regain this market. they stopped buying because they view it as unsafe. They didn't stop because they weren't sure it wasCanadian or they didn't like the tenderness or fat levels. So trying to use those issues to regain the market won't get you there,

Latest posts