• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Cell phone question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

passin thru

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the best cell phone is. I am still looking for one as good as my old Motorola Startac.

Not so much the phones these days as it is the Cell phone company and their service. I'd say Cingular has the best signal most places, Mr Lilly's phone is Cingular. Mine is Sprint, and in my area, it's useless unless I get in my truck and drive to signal.

I have Verizon and I need a new phone and can get one from them if I sign up for 2 more years. The only thing is I am in the sticks, heck I don't get Monday Night Football until Tuesday Night. Anyway I was curious if one phone in particular is better for reception.
I appreciate your help.

How long have you been a customer of Verizon? If you've fulfilled a 1 or 2 year contract with them, they should give you a new phone free. Most of the time you pay for it, and then turn around and get a rebate back on it of the purchase cost. Least that's been my experience. Also they keep offerin me more free phones. Free activation, to add a phone to my plan. If I was you before I just out right buy a phone, I'd do some dealin with em. They want your business, and if they aren't willing to give you a new phone, tell em you'll go somewhere else. that usually gets their attention and they'll hem haw a minute then find a way to get you the new phone. Good Luck(startin to sound like HayMaker)

i agree with jl about the service provider vs the phone.

not too long ago, i had to buy a new phone (i had just upgraded & wasn't due for a free one) because while we were out fishing, my daughter (who was 3) fell off the pier (yes, she had a life jacket on) & i went in after her forgetting that my cell phone was in my pocket. anyway, when i went in to purchase another one, i specifically asked about reception in the different phones (cheapos vs high-dollar ones) & he told me they were basically all the same as far as reception. the main difference in prices is due to all the little "extras" that come with certain phones. of course, most of the ones i was looking at were all the same brand (Nokia) so it's possible that other brands might be better.

I have a high wattage Kyocera, it seems to be better for reception than my last one, which was a samsung. Look for wattage!

When we first got cell phones they were both with Cingular, identical phones. (Nokia's) had the same phones for 4 or 5 years. Out workin cows one day, he'd tried several times to call someone, and finally in frustration, threw his phone on the hood of the jeep. Bout 30 minutes later, somethin came up that we needed, naturally whatever it was, was 12 miles away at the house. He said, take the jeep, go git it. So I did. Drove the 12 miles home, and the 12 miles back to the pasture. Good bit after dark he wanted to use the phone. Asked me, "Where's my phone?"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: OH NO!!!!!! He said, YOU DIDNT!!!!
I said, yeap I think I did. Friend that was helpin us whooped out his phone, dialed Mr. Lilly's number. Low n behold, it rang...screen lit up....still on the hood of the JEEP!!!!
Right then and there I told him. "Don't you ever talk bad about my drivin ever again!!!" hehehe

Anyway, short time after that (I'd already replaced my phone with a new provider and phone - my old one was at home in a drawer somewhere that matched his) He got out at the gate to open it, phone fell out, he ran over it with the back tire of the truck and both tires on the hay van. Squish!!!!............he's now usin my old phone, just had em activate it with his number.

I have one I never use it's worthless no reception when you need it.They are like 4 wheelers make way to much noise.Nothing I have to say can't wait till I get home.My wife calls every night on her way home from work useally ask so what were you doing well lets see it's midnight I was sleeping.She's sleeping now maybe I should call her.......

All they are is an ELECTRONIC LEASH

Saved me a few times from havin to either walk or sit stranded on the side of the road for hours broke down. Mr Lilly calls twice a day, once usually to find out how things are goin around lunch time, then the other after work to see if he needs to get anything, and what's for supper.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Saved me a few times from havin to either walk or sit stranded on the side of the road for hours broke down. Mr Lilly calls twice a day, once usually to find out how things are goin around lunch time, then the other after work to see if he needs to get anything, and what's for supper.

I called my first wife and asked whats for supper(she could'nt cook) she said Hamburger Helper I went to the Cafe....

Around here there's a house every 1/2 mile useally can use the phone if need be...

Thanks for all the help. I guess I will have to make a trip to the phone store and see what I can work out. I use it a lot to talk to my son, it sure saves onlong distance charges. I just wish I could get better reception. The neighbor boy doesn't like em, he says now he can get chewed out anyplace on the ranch, used to be they had to find him first.
:lol:

Uh huh, they've been known to be used for that too......nothin like yer phone ringin n gittin yer hind in knawed on. ( they needa putta warnin on them thangs....."Phone may bite" with no provocation )

I agree that it's best to find the provider with best service where you are going to be..... Beyond that, what features do you need. I have had a camera phone that was very handy in describing things I saw. I now have a Blackberry, I can check my e-mails as I travel,

Pat

Ihad a booster in my truck that gave the startac a full 4 watts of power. Sure wish I hadn't let that phone get away. I've got the booster for sale cheap.

Was out working cows one day by myself. Hubby said to take the phone. Only place it works in this holler is at the corral. Sure enough, while I'm sorting a unusally spooky bunch of cattle the thing rings. Spent the next 2 hours sorting that bunch again.

Now I leave the thing in the truck and take the dog with me incase I get into trouble. He's bailed me out more than once.

Latest posts