• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Certified Angus Beef?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Above, beneath the www.ranchers.net sign I clicked on a link that said "Certified Angus Beef". When I clicked on it I went to an online beef, pork and lamb sales outfit called Niman Ranch beef. The picture on the website had black baldy, red cattle, herefords, black cattle and said nothing about Certified Angus Beef, as far as I could see.
I have to give credit to "CAB" for one of the best marketing schemes in history, even though it is ripe with fraudulence and misrepresentations.

Mike said:
Above, beneath the www.ranchers.net sign I clicked on a link that said "Certified Angus Beef". When I clicked on it I went to an online beef, pork and lamb sales outfit called Niman Ranch beef. The picture on the website had black baldy, red cattle, herefords, black cattle and said nothing about Certified Angus Beef, as far as I could see.
I have to give credit to "CAB" for one of the best marketing schemes in history, even though it is ripe with fraudulence and misrepresentations.

{The couple of occasions when I bought upper price CAB steaks in Rapid City, we were disappointed that, while they were quite good, they were not much better than our grass fat, older Longhorn roping steer beef.

Out of curiousity, what is the fraud and misrepresentation you have evidence of in that program?}

MRJ

Mike said:
"CAB" is not necessarily Angus beef. In fact, DNA tests proved it.

{Are you saying that it isn't 100% Angus, or that it is mixed?" How was the testing accomplished? Was there NO possibility that it could have been a set-up? I question because I think I know of at least one branded beef program that got a bad rap, very likely promoted unfairly against them, so am sceptical unless there is very careful investigation and documentation of intentional deception in such cases.

MRJ}

FYI

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20040814/food.asp

MRJ said:
Mike said:

{Are you saying that it isn't 100% Angus, or that it is mixed?" How was the testing accomplished? Was there NO possibility that it could have been a set-up? I question because I think I know of at least one branded beef program that got a bad rap, very likely promoted unfairly against them, so am sceptical unless there is very careful investigation and documentation of intentional deception in such cases.

MRJ}

Your skepticism on every subject brought forward intrigues me. I will say only that I stand by my previous posts on this subject.

Hey Mike, why are you picking on us Angus boys? CAB rules don't say it has to be 100% Angus. It only has to be black hided with some white allowed such as a white face black cow. After that, it must meet some carcass quality rules such as marbling and others. You can look them up on the USDA website or the Angus site will get you there too. As you know, marketing is a very big part of earning a premium. I think that CAB stamped on a pack of beef tells the buyer that it should be top quality beef. Ain't that what they want and willing to pay for? A mark that says" this is your best bet for top quality beef". So I say the consumer is getting what they want. What's wrong with that? I am sure that your chars can produce beef that is just as good as black hided beef. Why not start a CCB campaign. Certified Charolais Beef? I have seen your ultrasound data. It is very good so why not get paid a premium for it. You can use the same rules as CAB just make it white hided.

Mike said:
MRJ said:
Mike said:
Your skepticism on every subject brought forward intrigues me. I will say only that I stand by my previous posts on this subject.

{What made you suspicious and skeptical of CAB? Do you believe they are the only outfit capable of duplicity? Experience gained in my nearly 65 years on this earth have shown me plenty of it even in my relatively small scope of activities. I especially recall reading of "expose's" of misdeeds involving beef which turned out to have involved fake evidence.}

MRJ

Alabama said:
Hey Mike, why are you picking on us Angus boys? CAB rules don't say it has to be 100% Angus. It only has to be black hided with some white allowed such as a white face black cow. After that, it must meet some carcass quality rules such as marbling and others. You can look them up on the USDA website or the Angus site will get you there too. As you know, marketing is a very big part of earning a premium. I think that CAB stamped on a pack of beef tells the buyer that it should be top quality beef. Ain't that what they want and willing to pay for? A mark that says" this is your best bet for top quality beef". So I say the consumer is getting what they want. What's wrong with that? I am sure that your chars can produce beef that is just as good as black hided beef. Why not start a CCB campaign. Certified Charolais Beef? I have seen your ultrasound data. It is very good so why not get paid a premium for it. You can use the same rules as CAB just make it white hided.

John, I don't mean to be picking on anybody. In fact, I gave them credit for an ingenious marketing ploy. It's just that what is in the package is NOT necessarily what the name implies and the intended consequences are obvious. I would not be for a branded "Charolais" package of beef unless it was 100% charolais. But a 1/2 char, 1/2 angus can be "Certified Angus Beef"? The quality grade has more to do with CAB than the breed and should be left from the name. JMHO
Heck, I may be crazy but I don't like the Chevy folks putting "Isuzu" diesel engines in their trucks and selling them as a GM product. Ford either.
Trickery in marketing gets under my skin. No offense intended. Honest.
You going to see George Jones on Sunday?

Ain't no way I am going to Montgomery to see George Jones or anyone else at that Tarzen move set called Jubilee CityFest.

Alabama said:
Ain't no way I am going to Montgomery to see George Jones or anyone else at that Tarzen movie set called Jubilee CityFest.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is quite a "jungle"!

Reminds me of when I introduced a black friend named Hiawatha [his name really is Hiawatha Smith] to my wife.
She scrunched her forehead and asked, " that's an Indian name isn't it"?
He said, "yes, I'm a fullblooded BLACKFOOT".

Mike said:
I fed some steers out a few years back and one that want CAB was 15/16 Simmental. I sold on the average and just got the carcass data back so I didn't get the premium for it but I always have to laugh about CAB when I think of my 15/16 Simmental going for CAB.

I get a laugh out of the ANGUS BURGER................it probably has less than 10 % Angus beef in it. CAB really stands for Certified Angus Bullshit!
How can you tell anymore with all the Implants, Drugs, and Garbage Feeding Programs what a Steak is suppose to taste like. Throw in some idiot trying to cremate the damm meat and you have REAL DINING EXPERIENCE!!! I want a lot of Hereford, a touch of Simmental, a dash of Angus and 1/4 CHI ......feed the Hi-Oil Corn,Dairy Quality Alfalfa Hay , and tank of 35/15 Liquid Protein( the 15 is FAT!!) and you have a helluva piece of BEEF.

Cattle Co,

Take the next step, age that piece of meat in cryovac for 14 - 21 days in the refrigerator then make sure you allow the meat to heat to room temperature and the grill to heat up before cooking to perfection per Agman's instructions.

As you know, a great piece of meat still relies on the handling process to become a great eating experience.

I agree with both of you on CAB!

Excessive marbling does not guarantee a quality eating experience.

I'll take aged select over non aged CAB any day of the year.

~SH~

SDSteve: "I fed some steers out a few years back and one that went CAB was 15/16 Simmental. I sold on the average and just got the carcass data back so I didn't get the premium for it but I always have to laugh about CAB when I think of my 15/16 Simmental going for CAB."

As Paul Harvey would say, "Self government won't work without self discipline."

~SH~ said:
Cattle Co,

Take the next step, age that piece of meat in cryovac for 14 - 21 days in the refrigerator then make sure you allow the meat to heat to room temperature and the grill to heat up before cooking to perfection per Agman's instructions.

As you know, a great piece of meat still relies on the handling process to become a great eating experience.

I agree with both of you on CAB!

Excessive marbling does not guarantee a quality eating experience.

I'll take aged select over non aged CAB any day of the year.

~SH~

When you say "Cryovac", do you mean like the whole ribeyes I have bought from Excel, in the clear plastic vacuum wrapper?
That's the only experience I might or might not have had but I prefer "dry aged" beef. i.e. When the quarters are hung on a hook in the cooler for several (10-15) and sometimes more days.
The big packers no longer "dry age" because of logistics and shrinkage and I understand it but the quality and taste of beef declined when they stopped it.

CattleCo said:
I get a laugh out of the ANGUS BURGER................it probably has less than 10 % Angus beef in it. CAB really stands for Certified Angus BS!
How can you tell anymore with all the Implants, Drugs, and Garbage Feeding Programs what a Steak is suppose to taste like. Throw in some idiot trying to cremate the damm meat and you have REAL DINING EXPERIENCE!!! I want a lot of Hereford, a touch of Simmental, a dash of Angus and 1/4 CHI ......feed the Hi-Oil Corn,Dairy Quality Alfalfa Hay , and tank of 35/15 Liquid Protein( the 15 is FAT!!) and you have a helluva piece of BEEF.

{Cattleco, Sounds great, but you can you agree there are other breeds and crossbreds, which, if raised "right", fed "right", processed "right, aged "right", and prepared "right" will do the same thing? And that the cost for that quality will put it in the "white tablecloth establishment" dining category at minimum of $50.00 per plate, and much higher for most cuts.

Can you also agree that the majority of our population will NOT be able to afford that beef on a regular basis and that for us to have a profitable cattle industry, we need to have a product produced at prices "the masses" can afford......and find to be an enjoyable eating experience? Isn't it quite likely that there are many levels and variations in what a large number of people will say is a great piece of beef when they eat it? While uniformity may sound and look great, I believe we still need a variety of product to serve the needs of the vast populations of the nations and their varying tastes and finances. IMO, too, there is plenty of room for improvement at the lower end of quality in the USA cattle herd, judging by what we have seen driving over a great deal of the mid-west, central southern and south western states.

MRJ}

WE hang them 14-21 days.....................I had a gentlemen that grew up in a family packing house and cut meat for over 30 years. He is now buying fat cattle. He bought my fats last year. I convinced him to keep one for his freezer. He told me last month it was the BEST Beef he had ever put on a plate or a plater. That is a compliment I will take to the BANK! :D :D

Can you also agree that the majority of our population will NOT be able to afford that beef on a regular basis and that for us to have a profitable cattle industry, we need to have a product produced at prices "the masses" can afford......and find to be an enjoyable eating experience? Isn't it quite likely that there are many levels and variations in what a large number of people will say is a great piece of beef when they eat it? While uniformity may sound and look great, I believe we still need a variety of product to serve the needs of the vast populations of the nations and their varying tastes and finances. IMO, too, there is plenty of room for improvement at the lower end of quality in the USA cattle herd, judging by what we have seen driving over a great deal of the mid-west, central southern and south western states

Exactly right MRJ, it's knowing what you have and marketing accordingly, and trying not to get paid on averages.

Latest posts