• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chaff and Heifers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

coyote

Reaction score
We have been collecting chaff for quite a few years. It sure seems to help stretch out the hay stack. We use to use a chaff blower and wagon. We hauled it home pushed it up and used an electric fence wire to feed it. Now we just leave it out in the fields and let the cows eat it there.
This year we put this chaff box on the combine and when it is full it over centers and dumps automatically. It worked fairly good once we got it balanced and one positive is we didn't plug the combine up because the chaff blower got plugged.
chaffbox.jpg

chaff.jpg

These are some Shorthorn x Angus heifers .
breedhiefers2012006-Copy.jpg

breedhiefers2012008.jpg

breedhiefers2012017-Copy.jpg

breedhiefers2012022.jpg

Nice! I've always liked both breeds. I think this is the first time I've
seen the product of the cross, tho, and I sure like the way they look!

A fella in SW Mt. raised Black Angus x Shorthorn and they were always
among the heaviest calves, if not THE heaviest coming out of that valley.
They were pretty solid black, with maybe some roan hairs in thier tail
switch.

Best milk cow we ever had was a Holsten Shorthorn cross that we
called "Blue". Great cow and so were her calves and so was her milk.

Back when I was a kid and herefords ruled the range- the shorthorn was used often as a cross- with the gain of bigger calves from the heterosis and more milking ability in the cow...Later many started rotating in black angus bulls too- and some of the baldy/roany cows (both red and black) were the best I've seen...

But angus eventually took over the place of the shorthorn in the cross or as the maternal factor- especially when the shorthorn industry went more toward the show game and away from the functional.. It became hard to find a shorthorn of any type around- anyway in this area..

And now with the buyers being so color picky on calves- those roanies are a good excuse for them to pull some highway robbery... Altho its always appeared to me that the buyers in Canada were more color blind...

Nice looking cattle coyote...

One of the most popular steers at our local 4-H achivement day was a shorthorn/hereford cross he didn't win Grand champ but sure was a good looking feller. Looked like a throw back to the sixties.

Latest posts