• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chain saws

Help Support Ranchers.net:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
I guess most of us own at least one chain saw. I have two Stihl's, one about 30 YO and the other about 5 YO. Both saws were in the shop a few weeks ago because I couldn't get either one started. Was told it was bad gas (Ethanol). Used the new one time when I got it out of the shop and put it away - it hasn't started since even though it had Stihl ethanol free gas in it. The old one started on the second pull. The question I have for you is what do you do for your chain saws when you put them away? Run the gas out of the carb? Dump the gas in the tank? This is getting old and expensive ($8.00/liter). I'm probably like most of you and don't use the chain saws very often but when you need one ....

The guy that fixes our chainsaws and weedeaters, lawnmowers, etc. kept having to fix the chainsaws due to gas going bad over time. He had us switch to the gas that is already in the can and pre-mixed 50-1. He said it doesnt go bad like the other when it sits. We dont even put Stabil in it. Yes, it is more expensive. We buy it at Lowes.

I have 5. Two Stihl, a McCulloch, a Remington and an antique Mall. The one that gets the most use (the Stihl) is usually run at least once a week so the fuel doesn't get a chance to get stale. I have started running premium gas in them and they seem to start better. I have an older Stihl and have converted it into a lumber mill. Never had problems starting it once I have the idiosyncrasies figured out. Now the rant; I have a newer Stihl which starts ok and runs great but it has the Easy2Start feature. I hate it. You pull the starter cord and that loads up a recoil which in turn turns the saw over. Supposed to be easier? So you give it a yank, wait a second or 2 and then the engine is spun and maybe you have a saw roaring to life at full throttle. Sorry Stihl, I can start my own saw, and I feel a little more in control (safe) starting it the conventional way. Please stop trying to improve things.

We have a Stihl, a Husquevarna and 20-some-odd-year-old Echo. When we know we aren't going to be using one for a while, we let the gas run out. We use the Stabil in the gas, and that seems to help. Whenever possible, we'll use Ethanol-free gas.

I never try to crank em at least once every few weeks , got a jonsred and husky , I ran non ethanol when our store had it now I run what I got no issues yet but I do try and keep the dust knocked off.

BrangusUSA said:
The guy that fixes our chainsaws and weedeaters, lawnmowers, etc. kept having to fix the chainsaws due to gas going bad over time. He had us switch to the gas that is already in the can and pre-mixed 50-1. He said it doesnt go bad like the other when it sits. We dont even put Stabil in it. Yes, it is more expensive. We buy it at Lowes.

Yes, that's the stuff I was talking about. That's what I use now but doesn't seem to help all that much. Maybe I should start them once or twice a month just to keep them limber. I don't like the "easy start" Stihl's either.

My fuel supplier won't carry the ethanol free gas for what ever reason but I notice several stations around the state are now carrying ethanol free gas. I may have to start buying it by the drum and pumping it into my overhead tank.

i run ethanol blend in mine always have no issues but we cut alot of wood here i've had 2 chain saws in 30 years a husky and now a jonserud mine are big saws higher cost large cc between the house and the shop we go thru 20 to 30 cord a winter

I use a Husky Rancher these days, great saw as long as you never use the priming bulb. Might take a few extra pulls the first time you start it but I know it WILL start. Great saw, it goes everywhere the quad goes. In these parts you need a saw just to get down a fence line or a trail. Which is probably why the gas never gets a chance to get bad. I don't know if our bulk fuel has ethanol in it or not.

I bought a 562xp husky a couple years ago and I use the premixed can gas. My saw might sit 2-3 months at a time and will fire right up. I think the saw performs better on this fuel as well. Expensive yes but so is a saw that won't run.

All Huskies here. I don't think any of the 3 sit a week without use.

Like any other motorized contraption, they all have pros and cons.

Husqvarna, the large ones seem to crank easier than the small 14 inch one. Thought it was just me till the dealer said the same thing.

BrangusUSA said:
Husqvarna, the large ones seem to crank easier than the small 14 inch one. Thought it was just me till the dealer said the same thing.

Mine has a decompression button it, but never use it. Pulls reasonably well without it.

I've got saws with bars up to 32", but the older I get, the less likely I am to pick up a 60cc+ saw anymore - LOL. Sometimes I have to, but now if I can get by with a smaller saw, I do it. I find that a 30-40 cc saw will do almost everything I need to do, anyway.

I use Marine Stabil in my mix year around. Also a cap of Seafoam per gallon of mix. Try to use ethanol free, but it's not always easy to find. Stihl synthetic two-stroke oil. If I know that I'm not going to be using a saw for a while, I pour up the gas and let it idle until it dies. The advice of starting one up every month or two is hard to beat.

Finally shelled out on a proper Stihl a couple of years ago and kick myself we never did it sooner. Do the maintenance on it, and use the Stihl canned gas and it works better than any saw we have ever owned.
I am currently looking at one of the cordless Stihl ones. A neighbour bought his wife one for their anniversary (brave guy) and she loves it. It weighs about 5 pounds, and she says it will but 400 3" posts on a single charge. Thought it would work good on the saddle horse and around the yard, framing projects, etc.

Latest posts